Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    My point is that you can be any age and do just about anything. A 13 year old can do a operation, may not do it right, but he still can, can't he? If you had some disease no other person knew how to cure besides a 10 year old, would you trust him?

I hate when people doubt the younger generation.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by HeadMaster
    Hello,

I believe first of all it's better to clarify if you mean a real hosting business or just being a reseller ?

Cause if you look around the Reseller forum in WHT you'll find out most of them are teenagers. So that's totally different if that gentleman meant to be a web hosting reseller or running his business in real meaning.
    What do you define as a real business? A reseller is a real business, the person collects money doesn't he/she? They provide customer support and all that junk. They provide the same products you do.
      0 Not allowed!

Like it was mentioned before, there's a difference between running and owning a business. Obviously, if a minor starts his own company, it would be a bumpy road, unless he has people to back him up. Most teenagers I believe are mature enough and often has the basic skills needed to manage a small business, only problem is that their daily lives might interfere.

Imo, there's nothing wrong with a minor running their own businesses and try to get in touch with the real world and gaining experience. As long as they don't quit one day, and leave loose ends behind.
    Limbo Designs - The Future of Design
    Affordable Web/graphic design solution.
    www.limbo-designs.com
    Founder, Mathew Chan
      0 Not allowed!

I wouldn't let a 13 year old kid perform an operation on me no matter how smart he is.
      0 Not allowed!

Call me old-fashion, but I think yard work and delivering newspapers is more suitable for a 14-year old.
    Kids need exercise at that age while their bones develop, and don't need to be sedentary on a computer for hours on end. They also need the outside world for developing their social skills.
    Last edited by chrisb; 09-15-2002 at 05:42 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by OverSkilled
    My point is that you can be any age and do just about anything. A 13 year old can do a operation, may not do it right, but he still can, can't he? If you had some disease no other person knew how to cure besides a 10 year old, would you trust him?

I hate when people doubt the younger generation.
    Nothing to do with doubting. Has to do with legalities and the fact that what seems great and wonderful now, looks entirely different in five minutes.

Not to mention some kids that say things like, "Well, if I start a company, and it goes to pot, mom and dad will just disolve it for me." That is certainly not the kind of people that should be heads of companies.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    Nothing to do with doubting. Has to do with legalities and the fact that what seems great and wonderful now, looks entirely different in five minutes.

Not to mention some kids that say things like, "Well, if I start a company, and it goes to pot, mom and dad will just disolve it for me." That is certainly not the kind of people that should be heads of companies.
    Absolute stereotype, not all teenagers do that, and trust me, I know alot.
    www.limbo-designs.com
    Founder, Mathew Chan
      0 Not allowed!

Did you read the thread? Did you see something like those words?
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by OverSkilled

What do you define as a real business? A reseller is a real business, the person collects money doesn't he/she? They provide customer support and all that junk. They provide the same products you do.
    Dear friend,

Real business is defined as:

- Having a company/office, under a certain name.
    - Holding the business license as whether Inc. , LLC and etc.
    - Recruiting a group of professional staff in every field available, in the company, so that they may deliver unparalleled service and support to customers.
    - Having the bank account under the company's name.

P.S: Not all of them are necessary.

In anyway you can make money, but different between official business way and unofficial way.
    Amir Golestan
    Executive Director | Micfo
    datacenter facilities in 39 cities across the world | AS53889
    www.micfo.com/datacenter
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Limbo
    ...trust me, I know alot.
    LOL... famous last words, and it sounds like something a teenager would say.
      0 Not allowed!

and?
    www.limbo-designs.com
    Founder, Mathew Chan
      0 Not allowed!

and?
    14 year olds shouldn't be owning hosting "companies" or running hosting companies that are "owned" by their parents that don't have a clue what their kid does on the puter.
      0 Not allowed!

LOL! I emplore anyone under 17 that adds input into this thread to print this thread, seal the printout into an envelope and write on the envelope "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL 2015". File that envelope someplace very safe in a file that will go with you over the years.

Read it then.... it'll make you laugh or cry at that time

For even more fun... save it for your own kids to read to you when they are about to make a decision ... ahh the whiplash!!!
    FutureQuest.net
    Quality Services & Professional Support Since 1998
    Click Here To Visit the Community
      0 Not allowed!

I suppose a 14 year old reseller wouldn't be terrible. Then you know that there really is someone knowledgeable and available behind the scenes at the server for any problems.

-WC-
      0 Not allowed!

Sorry if my post was misleading, but it never mentioned anything about starting a hosting company on their own, or running their parent's business. I simply said not all teenagers are irresponsible and know nothing of the business world.
    www.limbo-designs.com
    Founder, Mathew Chan
      0 Not allowed!

Again; the wise voice of Deb enters this thread.
      0 Not allowed!

Sorry if my post was misleading, but it never mentioned anything about starting a hosting company on their own, or running their parent's business. I simply said not all teenagers are irresponsible and know nothing of the business world.
    Maybe not; but you were implying my response to OverSkilled was wrong when he was stating those very things.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    Again; the wise voice of Deb enters this thread.
    Hey, I knew EVERYTHING once before too ya know
    FutureQuest.net
    Quality Services & Professional Support Since 1998
    Click Here To Visit the Community
      0 Not allowed!

My bad then.
    www.limbo-designs.com
    Founder, Mathew Chan
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Deb
    Hey, I knew EVERYTHING once before too ya know
    Heh . . . Didn't we all?

Now that I think about it, I may have paid no attention to the ramblings of them old people. So, I suppose, to save what little sanity I have left, I should bow out from this thread.
      0 Not allowed!

Not to long ago....

Kid says "Mom I need a new bike!" Mom says "Go mow some lawns and save your money"

Today...

Kid says "Mom I need a new NVIDIA GeForce4 TI4600 video card!" Mom says "Talk your father into letting you run a web hosting company"
    HostDogs.com
    Email: sales@hostdogs.com
    MSN: sales@hostdogs.com
      0 Not allowed!

I am 15 and i would have to say there are advantages and disadvantages to my hosting company..
    Disadvantages:
    -School: definatly a major disadvantage considering thats 8 hours of non sleeping time that i am not able to provide for my customers.
    -Chores/Homework/Punished: these add to the time not spent making sure my customers are all doing well.
    -Legal issues: already talked about a lot in this post

Advantages: yes there are some.
    -Small: my customers are in a small community and most are local. And a lot are friends and friends of friends. I am on a first name basis with all my customers. I email them and ask how they are doing instead of waiting for them to ask me for help.
    -Also i am not out to make a living so i am not in it for the money. More for a hobby. So i usually put most of the profit back into the company, which in turn makes my customers more happy.
    -I designed most of my customers sites and they are mostly brochure sites, so my customers dont need a lot of customer support, and when they do, they know when and how to reach me.

Overall i think i am at no disadvantage being a youngin and i enjoy the experience. And throughout highschool and college who knows, i might be able to build a strong enough base to be able to use that as my profession after college.
      0 Not allowed!

Bandwidth, that is an intelligent post, and shows that you think things through and recognize (and, I assume/hope, plan from) your strengths and weaknesses.

If young 'uns know (and are upfront about) the weaknesses, then there is no problem other than the sticky wicket of not being able to enter into a contract (but that can be taken care of properly).

Still, I think most 14 year olds don't have that kind of maturity -- I know I sure didn't, myself -- and are less apt to put in the thought and effort necessary to make a good business.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by bandwidth
    I am 15 and i would have to say there are advantages and disadvantages to my hosting company..
    Disadvantages:
    -School: definatly a major disadvantage considering thats 8 hours of non sleeping time that i am not able to provide for my customers.
    -Chores/Homework/Punished: these add to the time not spent making sure my customers are all doing well.
    -Legal issues: already talked about a lot in this post

Advantages: yes there are some.
    -Small: my customers are in a small community and most are local. And a lot are friends and friends of friends. I am on a first name basis with all my customers. I email them and ask how they are doing instead of waiting for them to ask me for help.
    -Also i am not out to make a living so i am not in it for the money. More for a hobby. So i usually put most of the profit back into the company, which in turn makes my customers more happy.
    -I designed most of my customers sites and they are mostly brochure sites, so my customers dont need a lot of customer support, and when they do, they know when and how to reach me.

Overall i think i am at no disadvantage being a youngin and i enjoy the experience. And throughout highschool and college who knows, i might be able to build a strong enough base to be able to use that as my profession after college.
    tru, tru
    www.limbo-designs.com
    Founder, Mathew Chan
      0 Not allowed!

Although a younger person is capable, I'd not risk it with a site and hope I didn't find out the hard way. There's enough hosts with experience and good prices that are knowledgeable to have no need to make anyone have to make that decision.

I'm not saying this out of prejudice for younger people, but as some people mentioned, and as some didn't or didn't say clearly.

Legalities; They can have their parent agree to and sign contracts, etc., but the 14 year old is ultimately the one that will deliver or not. If you go with a 14 year old (Paradise designs is a good example) and you get screwed over, you only have yourself to blame for not considering that it's difficult to seek action.

Commitments; Not only school, but anything. Also that they don't have control over their lives. They can be grounded, their parent can think they are putting too much time into the online business and pull the plug. Homework is also a part of school, it's not just the same thing every day and go to school and come home and your day is free. What about chores at home? Between school, homework, breakfast and dinner, sleep, possibly work (chores) at home, and a few other things, there's not a lot of time to commit to learning and getting experience, let alone to run it how it should be.

Experience; Some people can learn a lot, but there is experience that's involved that takes more than a few weeks or months to know all there is to properly run a web host. We're talking years of knowledge and this "I'm 14, but I've been using 'computers' since I was 5" doesn't cut it. Barring any uniquely smart child that has the ability to graduate college at 14-ish, you can bet that it's incredibly rare and I don't think any of them are running a web hosting business anyway. The point being that it takes time to learn, not just knowledge, but experience of doing things.

Control; A 14 year old in most countries doesn't have the control over their life and time and what they do with that time. They are committed to do what their parents tell them, what the laws that apply to their age limit them to, and even the school system. Even if they desired to commit all their time and energy, anything can happen. Parents can pull the plug because they don't want their kids online so much or for any reason. What if the parent is irresponsible and doesn't pay their Internet or electric bill? What if the parent loses their job and can't afford it, has to relocate for a new job where there's no decent (or any) internet access. Yeah, I'm reaching with the last couple, but there's a lot of legitimate issues that can apply, where even if it's not the 14-year old's fault, they are not in control of the life they live in yet and anything can happen.

Redundant failure; As mentioned above, other issues are involved. Now not only do you have to count on one person being skilled, responsible, ethical and committed (even at a young age or not), you have to also enter the parents and entire family life into the equation and any problems at home, financially or worse, with the parents affect everyone, including the kid at home. Worse, is any family problems. The office environment isn't entered into the equation anymore. You are now at the mercy of any family issues that kids face which adults do not and can deal with differently if they do -- and it certainly is less likely to affect their business. This can all affect your business and how you interact or provide service to your clients.

There are other elements involved as well. Yes, a 14 year old could do well, maybe if they are on home study and nothing went wrong and they were a responsible, moral person with technical and business skills, but that is so very rare at that age. I say it's great if you want to get an early start and run such a business, but I don't think anyone with a site that relies on the elements that a 14 year old couldn't provide if it came down to it and was the right circumstances. My actual point is that there are valid reasons why it's wrong, but also that it can work, but it's rarely -- and that anyone that doesn't want to go with such a company doesn't have to anyway, so if you want to, go for it, if not, there's a lot of experienced and skilled companies out there that can meet the requirements too.

Ultimately, I don't think it'll matter for a lot of people, as long as you're honest on your site, but how many people say the age of themselves or staff in that case? I think the problem is where people don't know and then find out their age after problems and that gets people worried it's just a fact with younger people. I wonder how many younger people run businesses that we don't know are that young simply because there's been no problems? At the same time, I don't see any really successful or experienced businesses ran by such young people and I think there's a reason for that. I'm trying to be fair and there are a lot of reasons why there's problems with it. I don't expect that any 14 year old running a business will agree though.
    Last edited by 2host.com; 09-15-2002 at 06:52 PM.
    Robert McGregor
    URL: http://www.2host.com
    Email: robertm@(nospam)2host.com
      0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast