Cool always looking...

I am new and looking for a reseller plan... as most know, just about all reseller plans are fairly similar. The one thing I am starting to look for is a host which offers some kind of phone support... I know it's great to post on a support board or touble ticket but is there anyone out there that offers phone support???

My $$$ limit is 35-50...

Phone support is expensive due to the cost of people. Paying a good technician to talk to people on the phone is a waste of money. Helpdesk support is much more efficient since it is easiert to pass the need around to the person best able to handle it. I can't see any company having real phone support for $35 - $50 since you would be paying monthly what the company would have to pay for a few questions to be answered.

Thanks for the feedback - it seems to me when it comes to reselling there is no phone support, but so many companies out there offering domain webhosting do offer phone support. I am starting to believe that reselling is becoming like a big pyramid.
    Rick Santiago
    "...if I knew what I was doing I would probably fail..."

Also Helpdesk and/or e-mail support maintains a record of client questions and tech support answers which is very useful sometimes

Originally posted by unknowing
    Thanks for the feedback - it seems to me when it comes to reselling there is no phone support, but so many companies out there offering domain webhosting do offer phone support. I am starting to believe that reselling is becoming like a big pyramid.
    It's almost impossible to provide tech phone support and keep your plans competitive. I guess some hosts could provide this but charge 2 to 3 times the market rate for their plans, so they can cover the extra costs incurred with phone support. It's also difficult to get technical on the phone. You need the written urls and other information in text form rather than verbal form.

Phone support is also a tad bit primative. Nowadays you have Knowledge Bases, forums, helpdesks to facilitate tech support. IMO, support forums are the best for non-sensitive support. This way your other members can jump in and answer the question or learn from the answers that you receive. .COMmunity driven support models are an excellent and cost effective support option and good for the end line consumer.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

There will always be some that need the phone though, even as a backup. We've got a Pakistan client who must have spent 10 times his hosting charge on long distance calls, but if we want to keep him he needs to ring from time to time.

Cheers

Gary

i'd just use a helpdesk with tracking and stuff cause you could call one time and get one tech call another and get a totally different tech that doesn't know what you're talking about. know what i mean?
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

Yes, I know what you mean. We use ours extensively. But there's always going to be an exception to the rule, and if it means the difference between keeping a client happy or having someone dissatisfied, the phone is always there. Some folks just need to hear a voice at the other end occasionally.

Regards

Gary

Originally posted by Editor
    There will always be some that need the phone though, even as a backup. We've got a Pakistan client who must have spent 10 times his hosting charge on long distance calls, but if we want to keep him he needs to ring from time to time.
    I guess it just depends on what level you set your filters at for new clients. We don't offer phone support and folks know that when they signup etc.

Neither do we Bob, not openly. I'm just saying that sometimes a client will come along that needs to ring through now and then to ask a question. Whether they are ringing from Brisbane or Pakistan, it's their choice and we wont hang up on them.

We wont take any server side instructions over the phone. Just answer general queries.

Cheers

Gary

Originally posted by Editor
    Neither do we Bob, not openly. I'm just saying that sometimes a client will come along that needs to ring through now and then to ask a question. Whether they are ringing from Brisbane or Pakistan, it's their choice and we wont hang up on them.

We wont take any server side instructions over the phone. Just answer general queries.
    I just hate the phone. It's intrusive whereas email and forum support is less intrusive. I'm still getting over it when I was a subcontract carpenter and the supervisers liked ringing me at 5:30am to chew my ear off about something.

Try a lower ring pitch.

No, I would never tell someone that they can simply never ring. The technologies and terminology is just lost on some folks, and so I think it's got to be available at least during normal working hours but not open to abuse.

Cheers

Gary

My recommendation: VenturesOnline.com is good, and they have phone support.

There are many others that have it too. Just be sure to check out the phone number BEFORE signing up. Many that say they have phone support either have a bogus number on their website, don't answer, or have a recording and require you to leave a callback number.

Darnit, Aussie Bob! I wanted to "call" you.

Originally posted by chrisb
    Darnit, Aussie Bob! I wanted to "call" you.
    You can always call my 0055 number. It costs US$4.95/minute.

No wonder you don't offer phone support Bob, if that's the way you answer the phone!

Gary

You can always call my 0055 number. It costs US$4.95/minute
    Is that how much it costs to call you on your yacht ??

[email protected] I wonder if anyone uses Internet Phone for support.

But there's always going to be an exception to the rule, and if it means the difference between keeping a client happy or having someone dissatisfied, the phone is always there. Some folks just need to hear a voice at the other end occasionally.
    I agree -- the truth is having phone support is like a warm blanket or pacifier for your customers, how many would really use it, other than in extreme SOS's. Having phone support also puts a little pressure on the hosting company to keep things running smooth, answer tickets or etc. asap, etc... it works both ways...

Originally posted by Vox - Tony
    Is that how much it costs to call you on your yacht ??
    When you ring that "special" number, you get to hear the "sexy adventures of a web host". And no this call is not taken from the yacht. It's taken from the office. No calls taken when I'm on USS HTTPme.YACHT.

All the bandwidth is taken up by those heavy-duty GPS systems, so the yacht can navigate itself, right?
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

Originally posted by voxtreme-matt
    All the bandwidth is taken up by those heavy-duty GPS systems, so the yacht can navigate itself, right?
    Ok, Ok. You can come out on the boat. But you aint drivin. That's for the Captain, eye.