Unsolicited Commercial Email???

Hi,

I am just wondering what would you do when you find that your customers sending out Unsolicited Commercial Email(spam)?

I have strict AUP about spam, when I find out customers involved in sending Unsolicited Commercial Email, i immidiately suspended their accounts, and if the client is new ( 7 days ), i offer a full refund, if not, then not 1 cent is going to be refunded.

is that harsh???? considering I am a new host.

or what's the best way to deal with issues like this?

any comments appreciated!

Sounds like a good plan, but be careful that usally these spammers (the smart ones) are using stolen cards.

When I do get spammers I cancel their account and refund the money.

I don't feel like paying a chargeback fee in the future if the card is charged back, fraud or not. I only charge $4.95, so a month or two of refunds is a lot better than losing that PLUS extra chargeback fees.
    L. James Prevo - President/Owner
    Prevo Network, LLC - http://www.prevo.net
    Est. 1999 - Month to Month Billing!!

It's the best way to cancel their account. I wont say that you are harsh. At least spammers learn some lesson.

You need to be sure of your providers TOS, how stricked are they. There is just is no reason for SPAM, I would cancel the account, if it's coming from a resellers account you should disable the spamers account and notify your reseller they need to cancel that account.

As many know there was a well know host on WHT that just lost a server and customers because he did not deal with spamers to his providers satifaction.

I invoice the spammer per complaint (i think it stands at $50 right now)....we have a zero tolerance policy.

we contact the customer and give them 6 hours to respond and acknowledge the complaint. if they do not respond, their website is shut down. then we take it from there, if the complaint is legit and the customer did indeed spam, then we invoice accordingly.

Originally posted by torwill
    if the client is new ( 7 days ), i offer a full refund, if not, then not 1 cent is going to be refunded.
    Since many repeat spammers bounce from one cheap host to another expecting the account to be shut down after they use it only once or twice, it seems like your 7 day policy is going to benefit exactly the kind of people you don't want. In fact, I'd worry that word of that policy would leak out in some spammer's newsletter -- and you become their new favorite host!
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

thank you all for replying! i do know what to do now!

Originally posted by JayC
    Since many repeat spammers bounce from one cheap host to another expecting the account to be shut down after they use it only once or twice, it seems like your 7 day policy is going to benefit exactly the kind of people you don't want. In fact, I'd worry that word of that policy would leak out in some spammer's newsletter -- and you become their new favorite host!
    JayC, i didn't put words like "full refund for new customers (7days), and no refun afterwards"..... i put it is strictly prohibited!