cogent question.....

How come whenever I ping a cogent line it seems that I get a ping of about 90-110 ms?

If these 100mbit dedicated lines are so great, why the heck do they ping so bad?

I've downloaded huge files from cogent lines before and the speed is there but the respondance isn't.

Anyone know why this is?
    http://www.fissionhost.com - Leading the way.
    support@fissionhost.com
    Aim: Fission Support

Well there peering ain't great so can cause a higher ping... There 100mbps line's ain't that good there just the cheapest thing on the market at the minute.

90-110 ms? Consider yourself lucky! I get a statistic of around 2500 to 3000 ms whenever I try to ping a Cogent line. But then again, I am living in China.

The ping results aren't necessary reflective of their speed though. For example, there are hosts out there on Rackshack that are blazing fast for me, even though they're on Cogent.

Well, like i said, the speed is definitely there. It's just that the lines respond about 50 milliseconds slower than a lot of other companies lines. These lines make great lines for heavy traffic file mirrors and such but they aren't so hot for things like gameservers, where the response time is crucial.

It just seems kinda disappointing that a great 100mbit line doesnt respond as fast as my friends cable modem when i ping them.

oh well.......

Hey, Cogent is way much cheaper (in proportion) than your DSL or Cable service
    Bert Kammerer
    ProNIC Solutions - pronicsolutions.com
    The Smart Internet of the Future (SM)
    Hosting on enterprise grade Dell servers with fast & redundant InterNAP bandwidth

I understand, but, 1.5 mbit < 100mbit.

Ping isnt a good tool to get reliable and accurate results concerning the speed of a connection.

Then what is?