What speed comp. for hosting?

I have a 233mhz computer with 256 MB ram, on a ADSL line, Is there anyway anyone could tell me how much traffic this would allow. I also have a 1.4ghz computer with 256MB DDR Ram, on a ADSL line, the only problem is, is that the 1.4 is what i do everything on with. the 233 would just be used to host the site. Which is better, and does selling things on your site through paypal affect the resources on your computer, thanks.

o_O

Not much.. I would strongly advise NOT hosting paying customers

i would like to host on my own. Is there anyway i could do this?

Ok i have no clue what that place is, Me and my friend are starting a business, he has desined the site. His bro is helping us with getting the site hosted on a computer, but he said we have to buy a brand new computer. is this true and what do i need to do?

Ok, first you need to get some security. Then you need to purchase a nice fat line into your house capable of doing what ADSL does 1000 times over.

Then you need to buy servers and your all set!

thing like these cost a few million

well it isn't like i am hosting ebay or something, just a small business. i wouldn't need all these thing, i would only have a few customers per day not alot.

a few customers per day? and how long are you keeping them on the server? just for the day too?
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Yes you can host it yourself, and in reality providing there is no heavy cpu usage from cgi scripts and your site doesn't recieve a thousand hits an hour you should be fine.

Go with a 3rd party provider for dns and mail forwarding and run just the web server (Apache as advised by faculty) yourself and it should be fine to start with on the smaller spec machine.

You will however have a *lot* of learning to do and it's not really easy or advisable to do-it-yourself. You can pickup some pretty good deals on hosting these days, so you'd certainly be better off looking for one of those.

A post in the web host requests forum here will surely get you all you need probably for only a few dollars a month.

--Josh
    Josh Powell.
    ServerSpotCheck - Is your website down?
    Skimpylink - Not as tiny as some but much cuter!

bud - you would be WAY better off buying a hosting account. you can get a good one for about $20 per month. or if you REALLY wanna get cheap $10 per month.

But if this is too much for you, and your starting a business - remember - it takes money to make money

The problem would not be the computer. The ADSL line would be the bottleneck.

before u do anything, i suggest u check with your DSL provider. Many have tight regulations on what you do with your connection, and assuming you're doing all this from a home DSL connection, hosting websites is usually banned.

And seriously, listen to everyone else and get yourself some cheap hosting. Even the super bargain webhosting with less than stellar uptime records will probably be better than your own server running at home. You can probably get decent hosting for less than 50 or 60 a year. drop by the webhosting requests forums and see what you can attract, ud be surprised by the amount of offers ull get...

Hey thanks guys, does anyone know what to do about shopping carts?? If i get paypal to do that, it wouldn't take any resources away from my computer would it? thanks

Originally posted by shuvit101
    Hey thanks guys, does anyone know what to do about shopping carts?? If i get paypal to do that, it wouldn't take any resources away from my computer would it? thanks
    I would advise spending a few hours on google.com reading as much as you can on everything you are unsure about, there are loads of free shopping cart scripts out there.

HTH
    Adam Heavens
    Server Centre Limited (www.servercentre.net)
    Exchange 2007 Hosting, Windows/Linux Hosting

Check out Oscommerce for a shopping cart.

Patrick Hobbs
    HostDogs.com
    Email: sales@hostdogs.com
    MSN: sales@hostdogs.com

You can easily host a web site on your connection, if your provider allows this. However hosting more than one site is another story. I hosted a personal site, that received moderate traffic, and it was dead slow during peak hours. As well it was moderately slow overall during the day.

Do a search on running a business from home. It has been discussed many times, and it's simply not worth it.

Why would people invest in multi million dollar datacenters if everyone could just host sites from home?
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

i run apache on my other computer.. all its used for is testing web pages and serving an irc stats page. nuff said.