How to colocate?

I am using Burst right now as a dedicated server. Hopefully they will address the many issues I've brought up but in case they don't I am also looking at other options.

I know a tech guy who is a Unix admin anyways and who can help me with the colocation in case of trouble, sourcing the machine etc... Although he will guide me, since I have had so much trouble the last few years, with no matter who I had my server with, I want to hear opinions from you guys as well.

Is there a company whose data center will be almost as reliable as Rackspace? Who's backupgenerators actually work...whose redundant lines actually work? (look up the burst threads if you want to know what problems I'm trying to avoid)

I've seen a few threads but although I'm usually good with technology I feel like a real dummy in understanding bandwidth...is it how much data can go through during peaks I need to worry about? I'm using 100Gig a month in traffic, but I have no idea the "speed" of my line at Burst, what speed I need and how to figure out what my peaks are?? Do I need to look at CP for that? where?

How much a month would colo be for the typical kind of package that Burst offers? Does rackspace offer colo? If verio's own network isn't that reliable (from what I've been reading) then colo should have the same problems...

Can one colo with UUnet? Would that make it better?

This is so much more difficult and confusing then I would have thought but I'm so tired of downtime yet can't afford the Rackspace ded packages...

Thank you all for any help!

There are many options to choose.. If you are near to a data center, co-lo with them - If you are able to access the server, you are not relying on other people.

If you don't have a data center near by, then maybe just consider another quality provider such as DV2 (yes DV2 eservers.biz.. good experiences with them) or even NAC ... Both are good providers and provide a reliable service.

DV2 seem to be doing ok, bringing in new providers.. I think the bankruptcy was to reconcile debts.. long story but I don't see them going anywhere downhill fast, in fact quite the opposite

Thanks guys!

Uh, is DV2's website at eservers.biz? After all the trouble I had a bankruptcy really scares me...

NAC, as in nac.net?

Any ideas on the bandwidth questions? Any options for NYC?

How much space are you looking for in NYC?

Hey,
    My provider is HE.net, my buddy has a full rack with them, so I host through him.
    I dont deal with HE.net directly I just go through my friend, if you're interested in asking him about colocation he'll give you a good deal like me, and I've had absolutely 0 problems with them so far. Always fast and reliable. Highly recommended, just like NAC, they're pretty good too, but more pricey than where I host. [email protected] is his email address if you want to ask him for a quote,
    hope you find a good one
    - Ross
    For quality hosting at a quality datacenter - www.ultralogic.net
    [email protected]