* Excellent Design Company For Sale

<<>>
    Last edited by PixelAxis; 09-16-2002 at 09:43 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

When you sell a design company, designers must go with it or else its just like selling a design.. wouldnt you think?

Its not like the buyer can do that quality of work, if they could then they would have there own design company.

Dont see how this would work out.
    Western Man
      0 Not allowed!

<<>>
    Last edited by PixelAxis; 09-16-2002 at 09:44 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

I personally think someone will pick this up for you. As **** said, his company is pretty well established considering how many deisgn companies are on the net, so why re-invent the wheel? Why not buy this package that has happy clients, a domain, a design, etc!

A ballpark figure as to how much you're looking to get? Also, do you have any potential customers right now that you may be having commucations with?

Thanks,
    Mekhu
      0 Not allowed!

<<>>
      0 Not allowed!

<<>>
      0 Not allowed!

This doesn't make any sense. If the new owner kept the portfolio up and got clients that way, then it is completely wrong.
      0 Not allowed!

<<>>
    Last edited by PixelAxis; 09-16-2002 at 09:45 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Its bascilly selling nothing for 1k.

Would you pay 50k for webhostingtalk.com if they moved everything to a new domain and server... so all you got is the domain?
      0 Not allowed!

<<>>
      0 Not allowed!

2 peas in a pod...

from ****...It is a lot easier for someone to get customers when they have a good portfolio already built up and have a reputation with satisfied customers.
    ...and should they state on their portfolio page: "...and just look at all these wonderful designs we have on our portfolio page... we didn't design them, but we thought you might like to see the work of the designers from whom we bought this site and these designs, and who have assured us that after they suckered us into buying their company, they would continue to do the design work we are claiming is ours for you at an undisclosed price if we can find them...?"

what you suggest is a scam... and an insult to every legitimate designer in the business...
    Last edited by Chicken; 09-16-2002 at 08:32 PM.
    Mothers of the world unite! Spank your sons and make them quit fighting...
      0 Not allowed!

....it's like putting PixelBrick's work on your website and claiming it as your own.

"Last year, some resourceful software enthusiasts cracked Sony Music's proprietary technology simply by scribbling around the edges of the disc with a Magic Marker pen, thus enabling playback on any device." - news.com
      0 Not allowed!

Owning a company, is just that, owning a company.

If I was to purchase Rackshack, I would be purchasing their buying power and everything associated with it, including non-disclosed issues.

There is nothing wrong with someone continuing the business with the portfolio and anything else.

This is an offer and request, and I see no reason why one should argue within it just to voice their opinions.

If you don't like the offer, move on.

There is nothing wrong with one entity selling this to another entity, and that entity continuing the company.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]
      0 Not allowed!

<<>>
      0 Not allowed!

no, not a scam but I wouldn't say worth over 1k like you suggested.
    With it you sed comes the portfolio. Ok yeah I see where your comming from, you made quality designs and you want to sell it off for what you think it's worth ok fine.
    And then the reputation.

BUT, what happens if you announce on the website that it has new owners, to the people who now visit the site the portfolio and reputation will mean nothing to them, only thing that resembles old Protinium Designs is their website design.
    Since your designers have changed the, customers are not guaranteed the same professional designs you used to make.

To everyone who visits the site, if they find out that the portfolio in there and the whole reputation on WHT forums was from the work of past designers they will have second thoughts.
    OK, the rep will help, cos you'll get people visiting as word spreads BUT when they visit and find out the portfolio isn't one of the current designers they WILL have second thoughts.

Im pretty sure aswell that you aren't asking people who make you offers for it for their portfolio, you might be but i doubt it.
    If you dont then the rep could soon fade away if the company starts producing shabby designs.

Reputation and marketing mean alot in most forms of business but if you dont have the portfolio to back it up, meaning a portfolio of sites the NEW staff have completed, it's worthless.
      0 Not allowed!

<<>>
      0 Not allowed!

well then that is even worse, you're selling practically nothing, unless you make all designs for them for free they aint making much.
    Even more pointless
      0 Not allowed!

<<>>
      0 Not allowed!

from samuel...There is nothing wrong with one entity selling this to another entity, and that entity continuing the company.
    ...if you were to purchase rackshack and not announce it was under new ownership, people who have already heard of rackshack would expect they are signing up with rackshack as they know rackshack to be... they should have a choice whether they want to take a chance on a new owner... i suppose you are not obligated to make such announcement if you choose not to... from my perspective, personal ethics and business ethics are inseperable... the concept that "business" is above certain moral standards because it is "business", and "business is business", where "profit is bottom line" has, among other lapses in moral character, made the united states the laughing stock of the world and ruined the lives of countless thousands of people who were victimized by that mentality...

...despite the above analogy, artistic and intellectual property is an entirely different problem ... the creative process is something which is somewhat "abstract" and "personal"... buyers of a work of art are purchasing a piece of the artist's subconscious creativity... i would not attempt to offer as my portfolio several picasso's, even if the estate of picasso had given me permission...

...it is, in my opinion, unethical to claim, even indirectly, even by subtle inference, the work you are offering is yours, if it is not yours... it is misleading... unless the purchaser of the company and the work states clearly that the work represented was done by the previous designer, who is still on staff, it is, in my opinion, a scam, perpetrated by both seller and buyer...
    from ****...Please refrain from posting these negative comments, they are not appreciated. This is only for potential buyers, not bashers like you
    ...you are not appreciated, ****... as a designer with my own portfolio, and several satisfied customers, i resent you offering a cookie cutter solution to anyone who happens to have the money you want, regardless of whether they know the difference between a .gif or a .jpg.

...it is for "potential buyers" that i post here ... through lack of experience, they might not realize the implications of what they might be doing... you, on the other hand, know only too well...
    Mothers of the world unite! Spank your sons and make them quit fighting...
      0 Not allowed!

<<>>
      0 Not allowed!

Incredible The-Muse, you took an offer from this forum, and turned it into a diatribe about your socio, and economical opinions.... You are simply trolling to start a fight.

And using the "Straw man argument" to bolster your responses.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]
      0 Not allowed!

I personally don't see what is any different about selling this company to another company. If you were selling a web hosting company for example, you would expect the buyer to continue to support the existing clients. They can claim them as "clients" because they are clients of that company. The same story applies here, you are buying the rights to those customers, they are clients of the company.

When you buy a company, you're not just buying physical things such as desks, mouse mats, chairs or whatever. You also obtain the reputation of the company. That is the main thing that is making up the price here. If you went along as "ABC designs" and say I am new, I haven't made any sites or if you go along as Protinium Designs and have been in business for a year and have a full portfolio, who is going to get the job? Most likely Protinium. That's surely worth something.

I think people should refrain from bashing and flaming other peoples offers if they quite clearly don't understand how it all works.
    Chris Adams - CEO - Rochen Ltd. - chris (at) rochen (dot) com

Now offering both US & UK premium business hosting, reseller hosting and managed virtualized services.
    rochen.com | rochen.co.uk | blog.rochen.com | forums.rochen.com | Twitter: @rochenhost
      0 Not allowed!

I actually was going to toss this thread. People are talking about two things here, as it relates to different situations.

If there was a design firm which employed a team of designers, and the owner decided to sell it (assuming the owner wasn't the main designer), then the portfolio of the company's work would be valid.

I agree however that a one man operation, selling his design company is fine, however there is something very off about them selling the portfoilio and the new buyer representing this as 'their work'.

Take for example that a person buys the company and posts a link to his site and says, "Check out my portfolio!" (with link). You think it looks great, hand over pre-payment and the new owner delivers a front page template.

You don't see anything wrong with this? Well I do. Creative design is one thing, and office chairs are another. Yes, you can buy a company and their reputation, however I have a big problem with a person buying another person's portfolio, which in some ways was what was originally offered.

The wording on this offer set off bells, and I think rightly so.

There are ways that this offer would be valid, and there are ways in which this offer would lead to unethical and borderline fraudulent behavior (if it was sold). It depends on how it goes down (designer remains employed by new owner, etc.)

Anyhow, the point of this post is that there is certainly something to be about, and I think the questioning was justified, however leave flames out of it.
    Last edited by Chicken; 09-16-2002 at 09:01 PM.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken
      0 Not allowed!

<<>>
    Last edited by PixelAxis; 09-16-2002 at 09:46 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

RK I don't think this is the right place to sell this .... Try somewhere else where you can't be bashed... Personally I think its a good deal for $800- 1K...

-Faraaz
      0 Not allowed!

I don't see it as bashing (or I'd removed it). I see it as people raising legitimate concerns about the offer. Try posting this at yaxay and or another design forum. Maybe they will see it differently.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken
      0 Not allowed!

I truely agree with what Chicken said in the first post. Say, for instance, i were to buy your company, okay, i gave you money, now i own the company. Do you work for me? What do i pay you? So then, you will still make half the money and the owner does to, for a price of $1k? Please clearify, i think i *might* have some one interested.

Also, how long will you work for the company, etc. I dont think you can actually sell a portfolio, UNLESS, as chicken stated that you are a owner who employs other designers, then that would be a total different story if the designers were still in the business.

No, i am not bashing you
      0 Not allowed!

I do not appreciate these comments at all. If anyone wanted to talk to me about this I would've kindly responded to them through a PM. If someone wanted to voice their opinion, they could have done it in a lounge.

I understand now that WHT is not the place I should be selling this, and have edited all my posts so I do not have to put up with anymore of this.
      0 Not allowed!