Thread: Datashaping

Datashaping

What do you all think about this program?

www.datashaping.com/viral.shtml

I've been to the above site many times before because I have seen it in emegaweb.net's log files. For hosting it might not be a bad idea since you have primarily site owners checking log files.
    eMegaWeb.com - Everything you need to build your web site

I had hoped this thread was about upcoming datashaping technologies as compared to that companys lame toy...

That thing seems pretty stupid and it runs on the conditions that A: They acually check their stats
    B. It gives it enough hits that it acually makes it to the top
    C. They acually click on the link
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

Not only that, but I don't need useless spiders running around on my sites. Anyone know what user agent they use so I can block it?

and one more thing. Lets say that they advertise for 200 companies, wouldnt they list 200 companies in the refering logs for just one site?
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

Originally posted by KevlerS
    What do you all think about this program?
    I think that at $195 it's pretty outrageously priced, if indeed it has any value at all.

The key to any advertising campaign is the return on investment, and essential to that in internet-related marketing is that you bring in motivated buyers. A visit from someone investigating their server logs isn't particular valuable for anything other than pumping up your stats.

And consider the implications of this: "We use a technology that currently accesses the top 200,000 websites over a period of 5 days and leaves a trail in each logfile."

First, what are the "top 200,000 websites?" Are the people who will see the logs for those sites valuable to you? Depending on your business, maybe... maybe you do want some guy who works at Yahoo to see your site. But maybe the number 400,000 through 600,000 websites (whatever that means) would be better.

Second, the implication there is that each of those 200,000 sites will get a visit every five days. Presumably the value of that log entry will diminish each time, so while I'd expect little value in terms of ROI to begin with it will decrease quickly. The third time you show up in someone's log maybe they'll finally get around to checking your site out. Three months down the road, how valuable will the 18th visit be? You're paying $195 for a program that is well past its prime (and questionable) value within the first month or two.

I'd be confident that there are many better ways to spend your money if you're ready to invest a couple of hundred dollars in marketing.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.