DNS Changes taking longer than usual?

A week ago I changed a client's DNS info with Verisign to point to new servers. The changes showed up in whois promptly but after a week later the domain still goes to the old servers the majority of the time. I know that this will happen for a couple of days normally but I was not expecting it to take this long to resolve completely. Anyone else been seeing anything like this?

When I switched in May or June it took 6 days for it to get the dns changed.

I usually just go to the domain after 24 hours. I noticed that if I visit it within that time, it takes longer. Don't know why though.

Changed servers on the main site this week took almost 4 days for everything to settle..

Well, sometimes it takes longer than it should be but it doesn't mean that it is not populating.

I usually go to http://www.tracert.com and do a traceroute from several servers across the world. Some are pretty fast in the change but some do take a while. But as long as you do see it being pointed to the new IP, it should be working.

I usually keep both new and old sites running concurrently until the transfer is completed. This way, the transition would definitely be smoother.

Eddy
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Originally posted by Xandra
    I usually just go to the domain after 24 hours. I noticed that if I visit it within that time, it takes longer. Don't know why though.
    Because if you recently visited a site your browser files it in your temp folder and when you visited it 12 hrs later your browser just pulls the page from your hd temp folder. Hitting the refresh button on your browser a couple of times will force the page to load from the internet. Thus solving your problem

Originally posted by Pilgrim

Because if you recently visited a site your browser files it in your temp folder and when you visited it 12 hrs later your browser just pulls the page from your hd temp folder. Hitting the refresh button on your browser a couple of times will force the page to load from the internet. Thus solving your problem
    I even tried ctrl+f5 and it didnt work... Im not that illeterate about browsers. I was told it was because isps take long refreshing DNS settings... just wasn't sure if it's true or not. Can you tell I'm paranoid?

Btw, for domains, I'd suggest godaddy... they got my domain working in 8 hours once.
    Last edited by Xandra; 09-14-2002 at 08:38 PM.

Through some registrars im seeing a BIG slowdown. The only one i havent seen take a slowdown is DiscountDomainRegistry, usually less than 12 hours, INSANE

Normal nameserver changes on my domans usually take no more thatn 24 hours tho i recently had one take a week
    www.vp6-board.com

Some ISP's are slow to refresh their dns cache - I find that my isp who i have an adsl connection with, caches dns much longer than the dial up account that I have as back up with another ISP.

I can update the dns and be viewing the site with my dial up but the other ISP will still be showing the old site on the old IP - This has taken days sometimes to fully resolve... :-(

Some isps have transparent catches.. my one does and it takes 10 refreashes before i can get updated content
    Western Man

I waited 3 months to update my DNS with Verisign. No kidding.

Every time I'd make a change via their control panel, everything looks good but changes just not happening a week, or 2 weeks later.

WHen I was making changes to my other domains under the same login and password, all changes took place in about 3 days, but that one domain I just could not change, no matter what. Even after talking to tech support 3 times and giving them my login and password over the phone, still no changes in whois a month later. ANother call, another month - nothing.

I was going to start a lawsuit over it, but then when I totally did not expect it, the changes showed up in whois but still have not been updated and site still can't be found.

I'll wait another week and see what happneds.

Talking verisign is not the problem on this one

After running many traceroutes from around the world. It seems like the DNS did resolve in a timely manner and works fine. This is an issue that can be isolated somewhere between me, my isp, & uunet. My guess is it is my ISP and they have yet to flush their DNS cache. If I can just get them to admit they have one. Anyone ever see a DNS not resolve with UUNET?

oh yea...?

rr in s. texas sometimes needs me to email them to remind them to update their dns.

i've gotten so frustrated with their pathetic server setups that i've resorted to my own hosts/dns files.

i just enter in my info to make sure i can see the site.
    "If you come to a fork in the road...take it"

Yogi Berra

* finally resolved!!

It was my ISP who did need to reboot their server. Thanks for all your help and feedback.

Oh and another way to check would be to set the dns up within windows (If thats what you are using)

To check that the dns settings work..

Start > Control Panel > Network Settings > TCP/IP (connection that you use) > DNS configuartion

Click "enable dns" and enter your name server and IP into the boxes.. reboot and you should see your website when typed into your browser. If you do and tracecerts from around the world see it too, then it's time to contact the ISP and tell them to straighten things up at their end

For next time anyway