Thread: fdcservers??

Question fdcservers??

Anyone who is with fdcservers how do u like the connection and their service? Any major problems???

Well, do a search, you will have tons of comments in regards to FDCServer during the last week or so.

I may be wrong but they seems to suffer from quite regular DOS attack from what I could gather.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

They are good .. co-operative .. and what else ? Their service is good and most of all, you get what you pay for

you get an unmetered port on a saturated 100mbit pipe

Their service is good and most of all, you get what you pay for
    Isn't that a contradictio in terminis? I'm sure I'm getting out of FDC what I'm paying for: a lot of headaches

you get an unmetered port on a saturated 100mbit pipe
    A very saturated 100 MBIT pipe. Speed is down to a mere 30 kb/s up and downstream regularly lately, yet at other times you can occasionally do a clean 1 mb/s +, but that doesn't happen very often.

Sometimes their support people answer a request within seconds, other times you're lucky if they answer it at all. Hold your heart that your hardware doesn't fail, as it took them over 3 days to replace my server's harddrive when it failed, while it was a pretty standard 40 GIG 7200 RPM IDE drive, which they should have had in stock. I had contacted them a few days before the drive failed as my server was down and this was also caused by the drive. They just fixed the CRC errors on the drive and said I was fit to go again, while it was obvious the drive was failing. They could have pulled the drive then and saved me a lot of problems.

If you're going to sign up, wait a few days, they might be doing a special on the server I'm cancelling Wednesday or Thursday. How does an Athlon XP 1800+ with a gig of ram and 2x40 GIG drives sound (one of the drives in only a few weeks old!!!)?

>...Speed is down to a mere 30 kb/s up and downstream regularly lately, yet at other times you can occasionally do a clean 1 mb/s +, but that doesn't happen very often.

ok, so presumably that's with their bottom of the line 'push all you can offer'? Do you think they live up to their word and give you a full block of bandwidth if you pay specifically for that? As in their: "guarranteed 10Mbit dedicated feed" for $299 (coloc)... I realize this price is equivalent to what they pay from Cogent, but you've got to figure they make the $99 set-up fee x 10 users = a grand for them on the 100Mbps pipe, then if they monitor the usage, they could squeeze in 5 more servers and hope that everyone just uses 66% of their allocated bandwidth - but then if everyone starts pushing their "full guaranteed 10Mbps" then do they move the other 5 people to another line?

I'm just wondering how much of a guarantee this really is. I am actively considering colocation with FDC in the next 30 days or so, and can't afford a multi-homed coloc provider that is going to charge me upwards of $1.50+ per GB, as I do really push approx 1500 GB / month of traffic now, and gather once I get on a better connection and offer specials to my clients that this traffic will realistically rise drastically.

ps: why is it that everybody talks about remote reboots and such when you can just put an auto-crash detection device on your box, that will reboot for you without worry?
    www.AudioVisualizers.com
    DJ/VJ Realtime Performance Art
    Royalty Free Digital Video

I have a server on the standard bandwidth plan and really, it sucks.

The support and quality of the hardware is OKAY, but the speed and reliability is unacceptable. Average 40 kbps in upload and that's when the connection is not down.

I've noticed regular 2 minutes or so outages.. annoying.

I heard a lot of bad things about FDCServers but my opinion is opposite, I say its a *good fortune* that I always get a speedy response to my Mails. I had a hardware problem once but It was resolved quickly as I mailed them to replace it.
    About the speed, Normally I always get more than 1 MBps up/download. The thing matter here also is server tweaking. You can't just get *desired* performance with a flat RedHat install. You have to tweak it for best performance.
    If anyone need any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me.
    We eDrive your Business!
    Web Hosting Solutions http://www.digitallinx.com
    Toll-Free in US and Canada: 1 (866)339-0849
    International Callers: 1 (214)329-4291 or 1 (786)380-4896

The thing matter here also is server tweaking.
    Been there, done that. Even had Petr and a tech involved at one point, and for a while all was reasonable good, but now it really is the network causing the speed issues.

Yes, support used to always answer my questions VERY fast, until about a month ago they started selectively ignoring some of my emails (or at least that how it seems to me). Also, yes, there are many short outages. I cought a 100% packet loss over one of their main routers the other day (still got a screenshot of the traceroute). The thing that made me laugh is that they emailed me back about 20 minutes later asking me if it was any better. You'd think they'd be able to check for themselves whether there is any packet loss over their routers.

Originally posted by Tazzman
    The thing that made me laugh is that they emailed me back about 20 minutes later asking me if it was any better. You'd think they'd be able to check for themselves whether there is any packet loss over their routers.

lol yea they could have and they should be monitoring thier routers rather than having customers email them about it lol.

I have 2 of the 10 MBit feed servers and will get a 3rd by the end of this month and a 4th mid October. I get the promised BW and some more.

I think when you know what you're doing and need to push lots of traffic for dirt cheap then fdcservers is the right choice. At this price, I certainly do not expect ANY support, except for hardware failures

I hope it gets worked out for those who had/have problems