FBDIMM versus ECC Registered DDR2

How significant are the differences between FBDIMM and ECC Registered DDR2?
    I've read that FBDIMM uses more power and adds latency to memory requests but had the benefits of being faster and more reliable. Supposedly the advanced memory buffer on FBDIMM modules also offloads error correction from the processor and/or memory controller.
    Are the benefits of using FBDIMM worth the additional cost?
    Power usage seems to be most often mentioned about FBDIMM... is the additional power usage very significant?

All I can say is that when you use Intel 5000 series processors and chipsets, you are forced to use FBDIMM because they don't support any other kind of memory.
    Maybe FBDIMM on the 3000 series was placed to keep some kind of compatibility/chooseability between regular DDR2 ECC and the 5000 series, so in case of an upgrade you'd need not to put everything to trash?

Quote:

Originally Posted by iptelligent

All I can say is that when you use Intel 5000 series processors and chipsets, you are forced to use FBDIMM because they don't support any other kind of memory.

That's incorrect. The 5000 and 5400 chipsets may require FB-DIMM, but the 5100 chipset uses DDR2, which can be used with any 5000 series CPU's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hhw

That's incorrect. The 5000 and 5400 chipsets may require FB-DIMM, but the 5100 chipset uses DDR2, which can be used with any 5000 series CPU's.

That's right. Take a look at m/b supporting xeon with ddr2http://www.tyan.com/product_board_li...hipsetid=99999

Well fbdimm uses about 12w per module, but registered ddr2 w/ecc seems to use about 2w per module. When you have 8-16 modules, it really adds up. Not to mention that fbdimm is also 2x the cost.
    FBDimm does appear to be a bit faster in benchmarks though. If that's worth something to you

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostmind

Well fbdimm uses about 12w per module, but registered ddr2 w/ecc seems to use about 2w per module.

Exactly what I was hoping to find out. 10w savings per module is fairly significant. I ended up going with ecc/reg DDR2, 6 modules. 60w savings is pretty good and I suppose it will result in less heat generated in the case as well.