hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : Home solar and/or wind power, how long to break even point?

Forum Jump

Home solar and/or wind power, how long to break even point?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2008, 07:04 AM
Web Hosting Master

Home solar and/or wind power, how long to break even point?

Do any of you reading this have a solar system and/or mini windmill setup for your home?
If so, how long do you expect it to take before you reach the break-even point?
A few years back I calculated the cost for where I live (with various government rebates, etc) and it would have taken between 6-7 years to recoup. Without the government incentives it would take probably twice as long.
One day, when I am no longer renting, I plan to make an attempt at becoming fully or very close to fully energy independent with solar, wind and whatever other methods are available to me.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2008, 08:01 AM
Older than the Internet

What a great thread.
I was going to install a 4Kw solar (20 x 215w panels) and 1Kw wind turbine (Whisper 200) setup to our house, but we're scaling that back, to a 1Kw solar and maybe a 1Kw wind system.
We can get $8k in rebates for the 1Kw solar system ($8/watt for a max of 1,000 watts) plus maybe another $1k in RECS, so our out of pocket is around $3k for an $12k asset added to the house. That's a good deal to me.
The reason I'm scaling back the solar setup in our current home is we're looking to sell up and move up to the beach, in the next 12 to 18mths (looking to buy the land in the next few weeks) so we'll go the full solar setup up there at the beach, when I build a real "green" 100% self sufficient home. Wind will also work better up there too, with the ocean breezes pretty constant.
We'll get more output from our location now with the solar, over the wind turbine, but I still want a 1Kw Whisper 200 wind turbine on the roof - if the council will allow it.
Adding solar panels and wind turbines to your roof is not for everyone, but it is a viable option for those who do feel compelled to take this path. I see it as being smarter and more sustainable about how we power our homes, and solar is only getting cheaper, and dirty power from coal fired power stations will only get more expensive, as carbon taxes are added.

__________________• AussieHost.com • Aussie Bob, host since 2001 •• Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers! •• If you follow me on Twitter, I'll follow you right back. •

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Solar VPS Becomes Official Mirror for Centos and Ubuntu Web Hosting News 2013-04-16 11:03:34
Solar VPS Brings SolarSystem VPS Management Suite to Dallas Web Hosting News 2013-03-06 14:33:30
Solar VPS Says its New Rates Mark an Evolution of the VPS Hosting Market Web Hosting News 2012-11-21 16:11:17
Web Host Solar VPS Expands Monitoring Service SolarRay to Chicago, Orlando Web Hosting News 2012-10-19 14:34:30
Solar VPS COO Ross Brouse Discusses new VPS Management Console Whir Tv 2014-05-02 14:56:49