Hybrid View

Hosting a server on a wireless network

We have a company out here called http://www.wirelessthinktank.com/

They provide wireless internet.

Does anyone have any experience parking there server on a wireless internet connection. I'm really curious about this.

Rick

There are a few companies that do commercial internet applications with servers connected by wireless (or satellite) networks. Bear in mind that there are varying degrees of wireless networks, some suitable for terrestrial-network emulation, some barely suitable for sending an email announcing your new dog's name.

High-end point-to-point wireless solutions are suitable terrestrial replacements. A good digital radio system operating in the 13-38Ghz range can offer capacities from DS3 to OC12 (45-622 Mbps) and perhaps beyond. They can also offer this at incredibly low latencies with nearly 100% accuracy. Mostly, the range on these networking systems is quite low compared to terrestrial circuits--you are lucky to get 25-50 miles out of a segment. But performance is excellent.

Other wireless solutions include less favorable point-to-point technologies which lose packets if a moth flies within 5 miles of the terminating devices. Also, satellite connectivity is unsuitable for critical hosting as well, due to a minimum 400ms latency inherent to even LEO units. Although lesser wireless and satellite technologies are great for news feeds, email servers, and other passive applications, they certainly aren't suitable for production business applications requiring quick responses.

In short(er), find out what type of network is deployed by this wireless company. If you need to, post about it here--we can digest it and give you advice. Assuming they're using modern high-end P2P units, you have nothing to worry about. If they're using floppy disks and catapults, I'd look elsewhere.

$0.02

this is what they say on there web site.

WTT has spent several years in developing its Wireless Wide Area Network
    (also known as “WI-FI”) product for the last mile solution and is now poised to take advantage of this “next generation” opportunity with its proprietary wireless broadband infrastructure equipment. The niche market roll out strategy is to enable our end users' access to true high-speed broadband connectivity utilizing the “WI-FI” or 802.11b solution.

Utilizing WI-FI and realizing the need for an economical approach to wireless deployment, WTT has secured, through the acquisition of Wireless Think Tank, the proprietary technology necessary to achieve this goal. When compared to other wireless companies, WTT’s solution utilizing its proprietary technology provides for very reasonable customer acquisition costs.

WTT’s ”DSS”, Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum technology, which utilizes 3 co-located radios each capable of supporting 250 clients for a total of 750 clients per facility indicates that customer acquisition cost for networking equipment is not only reasonable, but achievable very quickly. The WTT DSS current solution cost per facility to provide service to 750 clients is $15,000 or $20 per customer, about 1/10th the cost of VPOP. Plans to expand our current configuration to reach a level of 1,024 clients per radio have already been successfully completed and will allow for 3,072 clients per co-location bringing down costs to extremely attractive levels.

Yeah, I noticed that too, although it doesn't say much about the nuts and bolts of the underlying radio technology. I'd say go for customer references, talk to people using them currently. It at least sounds like they didn't opt for the floppy disk/catapult method.

Originally posted by BobFarmer
    Yeah, I noticed that too, although it doesn't say much about the nuts and bolts of the underlying radio technology. I'd say go for customer references, talk to people using them currently. It at least sounds like they didn't opt for the floppy disk/catapult method.
    I think you are right, and that's what I'm going to do.

http://www.wirelessthinktank.com/highspeed.htm

Looks interesting. What kind of hardware is required to offer this kind of service? Is it cost effective as dialup yet? I know that most dsl and cable providers are in the red cause the hardware is not cheap and would take many years to get their investment back.

Did guys check out their movies on demand? Do they even have rights to broadcast these?

http://www.wirelessthinktank.com/MOD.html

I wondered the same thing about the movies on demand service. I also noticed that all the "movie posters" are scans of DVD covers...