Bandwidth vs. transfer

Hello,

what could this mean when I see in specifications of web hosting package termins "bandwidth" and "transfer" at once:

75 Gig Transfer
    Unmetered Bandwidth

Thanks.

Basically is a type of marketing gimic to make you think that you are gettin some that is un-metered. Transfer is real transfer. By bandwidth they usually mean that they dont limit your account to a certain transfer rate - although you are subject to THEIR connections

faculty,

thank you for your reply. I, probably, have not expressed myself clearly.

>By bandwidth they usually mean that they dont limit your account to a certain transfer rate

The hosting package I'm telling about does have in its specifications BOTH transfer and bandwidth items. They limit the transfer rate to 75 Gigs but IN THE SAME TIME they offer "Unmetered bandwidth". What could this mean? You can find this hosting plan here:
    http://webreseller.net/lgold.htm

Thanks.

it means what i said.. you get 75 gb worth of transfers and as "unmetered speed".. which is a marketing gimic.. cause no connection has "unmetered speed"'s.

Mmkay

zxc,

Picture a large water tank (the server) with a hose running from it (the connection) into a bucket (the internet).

Transfer = amount of water (data) that flows into the bucket per month

Bandwidth = amount of water (data) that can flow through the hose into the bucket per second

What they're saying is that they won't limit the amount of water that you can push through the hose each second (obviously you could only push the maximum allowed by their particular "hose" though), but you can only push a certain amount of water per month.

Best wishes,
    Simon.
    http://www.AQHost.com
    Fast, reliable dual Intel Xeon servers
    Excellent uptime record
    Efficient and friendly support

Originally posted by AQHost
    zxc,

Picture a large water tank (the server) with a hose running from it (the connection) into a bucket (the internet).

Transfer = amount of water (data) that flows into the bucket per month

Bandwidth = amount of water (data) that can flow through the hose into the bucket per second

What they're saying is that they won't limit the amount of water that you can push through the hose each second (obviously you could only push the maximum allowed by their particular "hose" though), but you can only push a certain amount of water per month.

Best wishes,
    Simon.
    I'm pretty sure that is the best explaination ever used to describe bandwidth and transfer.