I need a new dedicated server host

This is absolutely the most ridiculous thing that could happen...

1. The dedicated server host attempts to install a second hard drive on my dedicated server around 10:00-11:00 PM...

The server goes down...
    They DO NOT notify the dedicated server owner...

2. The server owner discovers the server down at 3:00 AM and e-mails support...
    No response...

I call them on the phone
    They 'say' the power supply in the server went out...
    Can't get a power supply until sometime tomorrow!!!

My host? Powersurge Technologies (also known as Fastservers.net)

I had moved to Powersurge due to a similar problem with my last host.

I need a new dedicated server host FAST (with WHM/cpanel)... suggestions please.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Here is the reply from my host after I discovered the server down and called them on the phone after no responce to my 'emergency' e-mail help request:

LJ203 has responded to your help desk request.
    Time: 13-9-2002-03:05AM

: I've doube checked to be sure that we don't have any more back up power supplies, but there aren't any. We won't be able to replace it until morning. If you want to talk to a manager, there will be one here at 8:00 AM US Central time.

Regards,
    Larry
    Technical Support Staff
    PowerSurge Technologies, Inc. ®
    Phone: 800.867.5055 -- FAX: 319-236-6552
    229 E. Park Ave. Waterloo, IA 50702
    E-Mail: tech@powersurge.net
    Web: http://www.powersurge.net/support/

Re: I need a new dedicated server host

Originally posted by miamifl
    . . . . . . . .
    I need a new dedicated server host FAST (with WHM/cpanel)... suggestions please. . . . . . . .
    Burst or Nocster, depending on your needs.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Wierd they dont have one on site.. most DC's have backup hardware..

I do find it hard to believe that they don't have a power supply laying around... I have 2 or 3 under my desk!!

Maybe I am paranoid, but I am suspecting 1 of 2 things:

1. Scam... they got the set-up fee 2 months ago, so now make me go away and sell the server again and get another set-up fee from the next customer.

2. They have damaged or destroyed the main hard drive while installing the second one and don't want to confess.

Mike
    ----------------------

Yes. maybe.. but we cant jump to conlusions and we should give them the benefit of the doubt

someone enlighten me.. he said that power's out, and that's why the server's down. but if that's the case, what's HE doing on his puter?
    Have you Floble'd today?

I reckon.. a customer comes first. I would be using my power supply to keep a paying customer happy and then visit a library

Nah really.. I think he wouldnt be using his power supply.. because I would rather have 1 customer who is angry, rather than the whole lot due to having no support for a day or so!

Faculty,
    I just visited your site and notice you use phpmanager (I also use it). It works well for me and Taysoft has great support.

Are you planning to stay with it, or maybe migrate to another account manager?

Mike
    www.blazingfast-communications.com (if it ever comes onlune!)
    ----------------

I am talking about the power supply INSIDE my dedicated server, hosted by Powersurge... you know a $28.00-$60.00 item.

Mike
    ------------------------

heh.. yeah I use phpmanager and I think it is great. Easily editable to

E.g: I set it up and edited it so it would make reseller WHM access upon signup.. something the phpmanager team said would be hard.. was easy.. heh.

I dont think I would be willing to go to a new account manager unless.. well it offered HEAPS more features.. but really.. what else could you need?

phpmanager sorta reminds me of linux..

most other account managers are like windows.. heh

Is the power supply the part where the fan sticks out at the back? If so, my home PC's power supply literally caught fire the other day. hehe.

Anyhow, to your troubles, it seems Powersurge/ Fastservers may be growing too quickly, and starting to show problems. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt though. Having spare parts is very important.

Faculty,

I agree, for the price and features, I have found nothing comparable to phpmanager.

I did have it set up to automatically/instantly open the accounts on on submission of order/payment by PayPal.

I noticed I was losing a lot of signups because...
    1. People didn't understand PayPal (or did not want to use it).
    2. I had a lot of idiots opening accounts who did not have a clue what a domain name was.

Now I use phpmanager to open and approve the accounts after I review the order... I give all accounts first month free and phpmanager will invoice them when the free month is up. This way I do not offer a '30 day money back guarantee', they already had a free month.

I also accept payment via CC/authorizenet (haven't figured out how to set up recurring payments yet as with Paypal) and iCheck (online checks). But since I really like automation, those are not my favorite.

Mike
    --------------------

Won't be able to replace it until Best Buy, Office Depot, Circuit City, etc open in the morning they mean

Seriously though... I can understand running out of, say, 73.4gb 15k rpm scsi u160 drives, but a PSU?

Heck, yank one out of a suspended customers box, or find *something* (maybe an employee has something to hold you over?)

It sounds a bit strange to me though, adding a second hard drive and then the PSU goes out?

Is this a scsi box? It almost sounds like there isn't enough juice to power the second drive...

You know,
    actually not being a tech, i don't know, but maybe a hosted, dedicated server does not have an internal power supply like a desktop PC, maybe they just did not expalin to me clearly that it was a BIG external power supply that went out.

Mike
    PS: I have the case open on a Athlon 1.7 on my desk with a fire extinguisher standing by

I won't argue with ridiculous, I also won't argue with the growing too fast comment. We're getting things under control. Yes we always attempt to stock a backup cache of various compatible hardware but literally, last night it was completely tapped, largely due to a power hiccup that was beyond our control.... which went on to affect a healthy chunk of machines, unfortunately.

It is fully our responsibility to have backup hardware available, no matter what the emergency or circumstances. We're growing, and attempting to stay on top of things; last evening was a vital lesson for us.

We are getting this sorted out as quickly as we can today, as the sun comes up on the west coast.

We'll make the situation right.
    http://www.fastservers.net
    travis@fastservers.net

I only have respect for these guys , just got our first server their, 120ms better pings than our servers at dv2 from AUS, and the support is phenomenal!

Shane, Aaron and Brandon keep up the great work!
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

Strange my powersupply died on my server also last night around 8:30pm PST I gave it until 9:30pm, called and the tech was aware but had no back up. It has been 11 hours since the support ticket was placed, not really too big a deal since my customers are based on the west coast and it is now 9am, but down is down. It has been great with them so far and if this is my one problem it's nice to get it out of the way.