To start a webhost?

I've been doing system admin support for webhosts for awhile. Basically I've grown tired of the way the do business and how I generally end up running it for them, and they get the money. I'm thinking about starting a webhost with a box from rackshack or something. What I want to know is if I start this, and model my prices after what everyone else that is competent is charging, would I get enough customers to be profitable fairly quickly?

I'd be trading on my technical experience mostly, other than that, I'd be the same as what most people out there are. Thoughs?

Tough business, as you know.

Then only thing that gets me down is the flaming on this board and others. You have to be careful never to make anyone angry ever - unless you are thick-skinned (unlike myself). Or they will make it their petty life's mission to make your's a misery.

Bad day, so don't take what I say to heart but it's definitely there to be thought about.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Originally posted by NexDog
    Tough business, as you know.

Then only thing that gets me down is the flaming on this board and others. You have to be careful never to make anyone angry ever - unless you are thick-skinned (unlike myself). Or they will make it their petty life's mission to make your's a misery.

Bad day, so don't take what I say to heart but it's definitely there to be thought about.
    *cough* If we could keep on subject and not digress with your emotions for today.

But yes, it is a tough business. Competition is furious. Getting a web hosting business off the ground is the hard part - also managing your business long term is also a challenge. You might be better off partnering with someone who is skilled with sales and marketing, so you can focus on the technical end of the business.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

I wouldn't mind partnering with someone in sales/marketing but it seems even those types of people who have webhosting companies and know nothing technical (part of the downside of control panels, 14 year old flaps with no skill whatsoever now think they can start a webhost) also really tend not to be worth much on the marketing side. I find myself in those companies having to hold their hands on that side too...

well as you know rackshack servers are pretty cheap so I don't think you'd have too much trouble making one profitable, even after you factor in your time and energy.

Getting customers is never easy, especially when you start, but I say you should give it a go - as long as you're serious and have a genuine concern for the customers you do get. It's harder than people think it'll be when they start, but it does get easier once you have some under your belt.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

I would have to say that local market is much better. You wont have 9 year old hosts beating any price under the sun and locals wont usually be looking for the cheapest out there.

Agreed - Once you get your first few customers, word starts to get around. One day I was getting maybe 1 signup p/day.. now I am averaging 7 p/day.

lotn:

Don't do it for the money, do it if you really enjoy it.

Too many people out there think this is a quick way to make a buck, greed is an evil motivation.

It's great if you're a good sysadmin, but in my experience the most important thing in keeping a hosting business profitable is customer support.

Without customers, there's no business, just you...

Keep them happy and things will work out for you - give it a go, but make sure you go to bed at night asking "are all my customers happy??"
    Travis Doherty
    Web Hosting Services
    http://www.referable.com/