WHat is a Managed Server

I am interested to find out what this community thinks is a managed server.

I have talked to many people and everyone has there own idea.

What do you think...
    ---------------------
    "In the end you start thinking about the beginning"
    "You shouldn't take life to seriously, you will never get out alive"
    "Every Passing Minute is another chance to turn it all around"

A Managed Server is a server that is managed. I know, I know, it's a big shock.

Seriously though, we have managed services at Rackspace. I expect them to do more supportwise than Rackshack. I expect them to walk me through things I don't understand, I expect a tech on the line to work with me as I solve a problem. I expect them to solve some petty issue that is driving me insane. Afterall, I'm paying top dollar.

And they do it. They do it very well, very efficiently and very fast. They also go the extra mile. We have had a problem server with high loads. We tried many things and they only had a small impact. The techs there came up with a solution. Add 3 more drives, spread the filesystem across three with a fourth 60gb backup drive. Motherboard was upgraded, Ram was upgraded (same size, just faster) and they whacked in a 1.3b ghz Athlon for good measure. All for free. Of course the monthly charge is a bit more but the 3 hour operation, the installation and configuration was done for nothing and the ram, proc and board was free extras. Alll done within 12 hours of my request

That's managed hosting, that's support and service above and beyond. That's also why I would never leave Rackspace. They are pricey and that cuts into our profit ALOT. But we are in it for the long haul. I'd rather make a nice profit off 20 servers with and give amazing support and service to our clients than have 10 servers with mediocre levels of service.

But that's just me.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK™ ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

In my opinion, a managed server would be configuring all of the software, keeping it up to date with security patches, etc., and making sure the server is up and running (via monitoring software).

I would say the client is resonsible for any configuration in the control panel, and the "management company" would be responsible for non-control panel configuration. Any added programs that the client wants would be installed at the company's normal rates (ie $65/hour or whatever).

Basically, as long as the client does not do anything to cause the server to go down, it should be the management company's responsibilty to fix it if it goes down. I think it should be like the client is a shared hosting customer, but they have root priveleges and there is nobody else on the box.

I know many people don't think this same way, and I am looking forward to seeing what other people have to think about this!

NexDog - Wow! Great example! You gotta love rackspace!

Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK™ ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

In my opinion, a managed server would be configuring all of the software, keeping it up to date with security patches, etc., and making sure the server is up and running (via monitoring software).
    Exactly

Greetings:

"A Managed Server is a server that is managed. I know, I know, it's a big shock.

Seriously though, we have managed services at Rackspace. "

If only this statement where 100% true <smile>.

First let me start by stating we are a managed service partner with Rackspace.com; and, we believe Rackspace.com is among the best of the providers on the market.

However, the management they provide is geared towards the network and the physical hardware of the machines they are renting.

They DO NOT manage the server for you <smile>.

The question asked is very valid, because many companies claim to be "managed hosting" providers; and, while management is provided, it is very specific and often very limited.

Here are questions to ask where the more "yes" answers meaning more managed than less.

=== QUESTIONS TO ASK

Are you responsible for managing your network as part of this proposal?

What is your network uptime SLA?

Do you offer credits for downtime beyond your network guarantee as part of this proposal?

Are you responsible for managing the hardware we rent on your network as part of this proposal?

Do you have a hardware repair / replacement guarantee as part of this proposal?

How often will you replace the hardware (at no cost to us) you are renting to us a part of this proposal?

Do you do ping monitoring as part of this proposal?

Do you provide unlimited port monitoring (http, https, email, database, etc.) as part of this proposal?

Do you provide unlimited content monitoring of pages on our sites as part of this proposal?

Do you provide unlimited database monitoring for Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, mySQL, PostgreSQL as part of this proposal?

Do you provide unlimited server performance monitoring watching for problems with server load, CPU performance, # of processes, disk space utilization, and swap space utilization as part of this proposal?

Who is responsible to respond to alerts generated by your monitoring system?

How quickly will you respond to emergency requests (server administration, database administration, software installation, server performance, database performance, etc.) as part of this proposal?

What ways must I contact you in order for you to respond to such emergencies?

Will you proactively install security patches and updates for the operating system and all known applications on the server(s) as part of this proposal?

Are regular vulnerability and security assessments included in this proposal?

If a fire wall is included in this proposal, how many firewall policy changes per month are included?

If advanced intrusion detection is included in this proposal, does it include monitoring by live, certified and trained individuals?

Is working (telephone conference calls, sending facsimiles, gathering information and sending it, etc.) with 3rd party vendors for the applications on the server (installed by you or other parties) included in this proposal?

Is installing software, generating digital ID’s, optimizing a database, and proactively performing day-to-day server management tasks included in this proposal?

Will you support all of the server software on the machine if you are made aware of the server software, version, and contact information for the vendor?

###
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Is that mean we don't need to look after our server.We just need to foucus on selling.Like reseller.