Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    you have the options of yipes (level3 and genuity), cogent, and uunet. Depending on what you want to spend you can be single homed with say cogent or multihomed with uunet and yipes etc.. just depends on what you want to pay, we also have access to a variety of other carriers inside the colo and any carriers outside of the colo as well with a nominal local loop charge. SO basically you have a need, we can meet it.
    affordablecolo.com carrier grade colocation at a affordable price!
    Charles Baker - Company Operations
    1-866-316-HOST

who says i haven't used yipes? i've used the majority of the backbone providers out there... at one point or another... the benefit of being in the business for the last 7 years

Originally posted by 311

But have you ever used Yipes? How can you base everything upon meaningless tracerts? If you have actually used yipes, then I'd say you have the right to complain. But since you most likely haven't, then you're flamming.

I myself have used yipes, and they are very good. Actually, as a matter of fact they're right up there with Internap.

I would say that most of wall street and the banking world use savvis. Yipes is very fast and also internap is very fast. I wouldnt say yipes is slower then internap and the other way around.

Ive used yipes since they first came out, and they are darn fast and I have pulled some great speed. Then again I have used internap and have seen great speeds.

In the end who really cares its bandwidth, and they both get your data quick
    ---------------------
    "In the end you start thinking about the beginning"
    "You shouldn't take life to seriously, you will never get out alive"
    "Every Passing Minute is another chance to turn it all around"

savvis?

got any examples of companies using savvis? most of the banks, that i can c, use att/uunet/worldcom/internap... most of the major ecommerce and online services use exodus...

Lucent, Scottsdale Securities, Inc., United Bank Corp, City of Philadelphia, LookSmart, Americom, Inc. and a ton more all use savvis. They're bigger than you think...

looksmart ain't that huge... but they use above.net as their primary... savvis as their secondary... i remember they screwed eFront outa a few hundred thousand dollars because they couldn't afford to pay (plus some other issues with efront too)...

Americom, Inc.... the long distance telco company? cuz they use broadband solutions america... who uses ELI and TouchAmerica...

lucent uses internap... but they also have feeds from uunet, singnet (in singapore) and embratel (in brazil)... their bell labratories has two feeds... one from uunet, one from savvis...

City of Philadelphia... finally, one where savvis is the primary provider... well, in this case... the only provider... whoop-diddly-do... a city's website... how many visitors u think they get per day to that site? what kinda damage if that site were to be down for an hour?

united bank corp ... hmm... got a url for 'em?

netdude, you really may want to check your facts. Savvis does run about 65% + of the financial systems in the US. They also run like 95% of Reuters' network.
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

but thats their backend connectivity... not the internet... imagine it to be like a peering facility like PAIX or MAE-WEST... but without the internet component... just data going between two points...

the bandwidth usage is so low, its infeasible (thats a word, right? lol) for the mainstream providers to go for... because the performance/reliability requirements are so stringent for these bandwidth levels... throwing their pricing structures outa whack when compared to the main internet services...

reuter's internet infrastructure is handled by internap... hehe
    Last edited by netdude; 09-13-2002 at 06:01 PM.

Originally posted by netdude
    say yipes were ~$200/Mbps... why not go with verio? in even minor volume, verio does get that cheap... heh... and i'd rank them atleast higher than yipes... how about level3? they definately higher than yipes...
    This statement just shows how little you know about yipes. First of all, yipes isn't really a backbone...its a metro area transport provider. And your comment about level 3 just goes to show you have no idea. Yipes basically is level 3 and bbn, aggregated, balanced, and routed. Data to/from a yipes network will only be on yipes for a few hops. Verio is terrible. They have limited connections between cities and packets end up having to go to their major exchanges on the west coast, chicago, or the east coast.
    Justin Bachus
    BlastHosting, LLC - Professional web hosting at a low price with
    PHP, MySQL, FreeBSD, and more!
    http://www.blasthosting.com

netdude, again you may want to check your facts on Savvis as they are pretty much all wrong.
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

Ok, I just read the first page of posts, so I'm continuing the conversation on the first page:

I LOVE YIPES.
    Ronny Fang
    Linux Problems Solved. | Built for the Hosting Industry
    Server Management. Node Management. Helpdesk Management.
    ( AcuNett, Est. 15 Years, RateLobby 5 Stars )

how would they be wrong? savvis' financial network is somewhat independant of the internet side... to over simplify it, they have one hella big VPN for their financial side... maybe this will clarify it for you: http://www.savvis.net/financial/atta...l_brochure.pdf ...

jw, don't worry, i'm getting a reply prepared for you...

Originally posted by RackMy.com
    netdude, again you may want to check your facts on Savvis as they are pretty much all wrong.
    Last edited by netdude; 09-13-2002 at 09:45 PM.

Originally posted by jw

This statement just shows how little you know about yipes. First of all, yipes isn't really a backbone...its a metro area transport provider. And your comment about level 3 just goes to show you have no idea. Yipes basically is level 3 and bbn, aggregated, balanced, and routed. Data to/from a yipes network will only be on yipes for a few hops. Verio is terrible. They have limited connections between cities and packets end up having to go to their major exchanges on the west coast, chicago, or the east coast.
    Right on the money Justin IMHO

Netdude reminds me of Cliff Claven (Cheers) in some of these posts

- John C.

who was Cliff Claven ?

[EDIT]

nevermind, figured it out... lol

I'm nto sure any of this even remotely addresses the thread starter's question:

What does everyone think of affordable colo?

How 'bout we start another thread to discuss what networks the financial systems are on, which is better, etc. Let's get this thread back on track.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

have one server colocated with AffordableColo which just made its "1 Yr Anniversary" and that IMHO is one of the best business decisions we made!! I dont think you can ever go wrong with Charles & co. very professional and service is great.

Cheers
    ONEfusion - We're All About Hosting
    WHM/Cpanel Hosting, VDS, colocation
    http://www.onefusion.com/
    DarkOrb Partner NOC

Chicken but this conversation is so interesting
    ---------------------
    "In the end you start thinking about the beginning"
    "You shouldn't take life to seriously, you will never get out alive"
    "Every Passing Minute is another chance to turn it all around"

Originally posted by JBIZ718
    Chicken but this conversation is so interesting
    I agree with Chicken. A new topic should be started then, because this topic is about affordablecolo...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12