Thread: SSL + email

SSL + email

Is it secure to send form info to an email address if its pretected by ssl? Thanks!

-Dan
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.

If the message itself is encrypted, yes. If it's not encrypted but an SSL link is used between you and the other ISP's mail server, it may still be secure. For the best security, the entire path between both users should be encrypted.
    -Mooneer
    Thoughtbug Software: Hosting shouldn't require any thought.
    Legitimate host? Support the Code of Ethical Conduct

perl -le '$_=`man perlfaq1`;print/"(j.*)"/'
    SMTP, SPOP, PGP, Korea.
    Richard Ward
    1 NET LANE, LLC.
    http://www.1NL.net
    The low cost data center.

Do they have PGP in Korea.

Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

Originally posted by NexDog
    Do they have PGP in Korea.

why don't you go to www.instantssl.com and get a free email security certificate. if you are using outlook or outlook express (or I think any othe smime compliant email client) then you can send encrypted email and digitally sign your emails using this certificate. Its a standard certificate. This is a truly free service they offer for personal use only.

hosty

I think a saw a script out there (don't know where right now) but basically it took the information gained through an SSL connection then encrypted it in PGP and sent it to an email address where it could be decoded. I think this would be what you are looking for--if I can find it I will post it.
    Richard
    Multiple Domain Hosting | See our Ad in PC Magazine
    Windows Reseller Hosting @ www.e3servers.com

Sorry, but just because you use SSL to send an email via a web form does not make it secure.

If email were a secure medium then products like PGP would never have been created... sending something by email has been likened to sending a postcard - would you put secure details on a postcard? Hope not.

Originally posted by hosty

why don't you go to www.instantssl.com and get a free email security certificate. if you are using outlook or outlook express (or I think any othe smime compliant email client) then you can send encrypted email and digitally sign your emails using this certificate. Its a standard certificate. This is a truly free service they offer for personal use only.

hosty
    You could also use Verisign.. However Verisign's only got a 60 day free trial following which you're gonna have to pay for a cert. But anyway no harm installing both certs
    Last edited by Knogle; 09-14-2002 at 09:14 AM.
    Have you Floble'd today?

Have you Floble'd today?

This is the script (actually several) I was referring to in my post.

http://www.verysimple.com/scripts/support_pgp.html
    Richard
    Multiple Domain Hosting | See our Ad in PC Magazine
    Windows Reseller Hosting @ www.e3servers.com