GoDaddy false advertising?

GoDaddy advertise on this page http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/charts...2B&from%5Fapp= that you can register .biz/.info/.us for 1 year for $14.95.

Is this true? I thought the registries for these domains imposed a minimum 2 year registration...

Re: GoDaddy false advertising?

Originally posted by blob2
    GoDaddy advertise on this page http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/charts...2B&from%5Fapp= that you can register .biz/.info/.us for 1 year for $14.95.

Is this true? I thought the registries for these domains imposed a minimum 2 year registration...

Just another marketing trick, at the end of your registration it will be computed x2 of the price. You can get .BIZ .INFO .US for lower price than godaddy. All you have to do is search.

cheers.
    WirelessCon.Com BlackHat.INFO Business.NU

Not false

The registration does go through for $14.95 for one year. I suspect GoDaddy is taking the risk...registering you for one year even though they have to pay for two. Not sure what's happening. But, I do know their site will let you register for one year for $14.95.

The registry does not allow one year registrations, so GoDaddy has to be paying for two years. You need to ask GoDaddy what happens to your domain at the end of this year if you don't renew it - because the registry requires two years for these domains...

-t
    myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates
    http://www.myostrich.net

GoDaddy tried to pull off the same trick when the regular .US period started (after the sunrise ended) and their system failed for two days to register domains that were selected for 1 year!

How are they doing this? Can anyone confirm?

Look at this page http://registrar.godaddy.com/default...2B&from%5Fapp=

They advertise that you can register .us/.biz/.info for $14.95 for 1 year, while for two years its $19.90????

Can somone confirm this from godaddy support? Has anyone registered .biz/.info/.us with godaddy for 1 year? Does it say it will expire in 1 year in the whois?

They advertise that you can register .us/.biz/.info for $14.95 for 1 year, while for two years its $19.90????

Can somone confirm this from godaddy support? Has anyone registered .biz/.info/.us with godaddy for 1 year? Does it say it will expire in 1 year in the whois?
    This is just the way they market the .biz domain name. You can actually register the .biz for the price of $7/ x2years =$14. This is lower to their price list.

The Nuelevel registry requires 2 years registration period. Registrar will be able to adjust their pricing as low as 6.95 if they want to.

That does not make sense.... so your saying if one registers a .us domain for 1 year at godaddy, they get a 2nd year free.

And indeed, if one registers a .us for two years they have payed more???

That does not make sense.... so your saying if one registers a .us domain for 1 year at godaddy, they get a 2nd year free.

And indeed, if one registers a .us for two years they have payed more???
    What I'm trying to say is they can charge you for $14.95 for one year registration only, the registrar pay the registry (Neulevel) for 2 years cost of $12.

So basically, it's buy a domain and get the 2nd year free. Simple as that.

Hope this help a bit.

If one registers a .us for 1 year they get charged $14.95 but they get a second year without knowing it?

Then if one registers a .us for 2 years they get charged $19.90. So would'nt it make sense to market .us domains at $14.95 for 2 years?

This marketing is flawed!

I don't believe TheWatcher2 has it correctly defined.

Someone should really go ask GoDaddy support.

-t

Agreed. I'll post once I get an answer.

Well, I wonder if GoDaddy is playing it on purpose like that.

Then after a year and a handful of people don't renew their .US domain, GoDaddy can have someone sell all those extra domains on the secondary market. Who knows, maybe .us domains will be popular in a year.

-WC-

GoDaddy responded saying that the registries had a default of 2 years but it is possible to register just for 1 year as they are doing it...

So what does this mean? Is GoDaddy the only registrar in the world offering .biz/.info/.us for a one year registration?

I recently asked the .us registry this same question. They responded that there was no option available to register for less than 2 years for an initial domain registration.

I don't understand

-t

GoDaddy have again said that if you register a .us/.biz/.info for 1 year, it will expire in one years time as the proof is on the whois record.

How are they getting around this?

I still don't trust GoDaddy. Where there's smoke there's a fire.

Guys stop posting that you don't understand, and just ask Nuelevel what their take on GoDaddy's 1 year .biz registrations is If it doesn't match what GoDaddy said, then we'll have something to be confused about

Who knows, who cares. If Godaddy pays for 2 years and you only paid for one, well - use it for a year. After that, then pay or let Godaddy take it.

Really, who cares? This is such a moot point. If I go to the store for my elderly neighbor and she tells me to get her 6 eggs, and the store only sells them in 12's - to be a nice guy I could just buy the dozen and give her 6. Might be that in a few days she will want 6 more. If not, I can use them or sell them to someone else.

-WC-

People often like to know things just to know them, there's nothing wrong with that. In this case, they want to make sure that Nuelevel won't do something about GoDaddy's 1 year .biz registration where they lose/can't renew it. While I think the chances of that are pretty small, it is worth an e-mail or two to make sure.

I suppose. I couldn't see Godaddy lapsing on something like that though.

I have to assume that godaddy wouldn't have been able to get the domain for its users if the transfer wasn't approved by Neulevel. And by approved, I mean payment accepted.

-wc-

Originally posted by no1v2
    Guys stop posting that you don't understand, and just ask Nuelevel what their take on GoDaddy's 1 year .biz registrations is If it doesn't match what GoDaddy said, then we'll have something to be confused about
    I asked both Neulevel and Neustar and both replied that there are no one year options for new registrations.

Neither would comment on GoDaddy's particular marketing strategy, and neither would comment on whether or not GoDaddy has a special deal; simply citing that they do not discuss any special deals with any particular registrars - and not confirming or denying the existance of a special deal with GoDaddy.

-t

That says it all then.

Obviously there is one rule for big registrars like Go Daddy and another rule for small registrars...

Does anyone have an example of one of these 1-year registrations?

I have been having this discussion with a customer who admits now to having read this here (and is now asking us why we can't do one year registrations as well!) and he thought he could supply me with an example. He cannot.

Does anyone have an example? I'll verify the expiration date with the registry whois if we can find an example domain.

I'm still not convinced that GoDaddy is registering these for only one year...

-t
    Last edited by thewitt; 09-16-2002 at 11:54 AM.

Would be a good idea, maybe if someone conacted Go Daddy support for an example they might be helpful.

Go Daddy registration fee's

Things may have changed as some have posted in regards to the fee's for .biz , .info .us registrations. However, we did register 4 .biz and 1 .info on 1/22/02 and GoDaddy did require a 2 yr. registration period @ 14.95 each year.. for a total of $29.90 each domain registration, which covered a 2 yr. period.. costing us a total of $149.50 to register a total of 5 names.. 4 were .biz and one was .info.

If they do offer the one year registration now.. that's good. It was not available however, back in January.

goodluck!

Just want to set the record straight. Go Daddy purchases the domain name (.biz, .us..etc.) For two years like everyone else. If, at the end of the first year, the customer does not renew the domain name then Go Daddy will keep the domain name for the additional year and do what they deem appropriate at that time.

There has been no special treatment to Go Daddy by the respective registries.

Insider?

>bok: Just want to set the record straight ...

May I ask HOW do you know this (you sounded authoritative)? Are you working for GoDaddy or just heard it from somebody? Thanks.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Re: Insider?

Originally posted by nameslave
    >bok: Just want to set the record straight ...

May I ask HOW do you know this (you sounded authoritative)? Are you working for GoDaddy or just heard it from somebody? Thanks.

I own MANY o' domains which are housed at Go Daddy.

I do also have a vested interest in the well being of Go Daddy.

I wanted to elucidate so no one feels nervous about registering a domain name for one year, which for many people is a great benefit.
    --This was a result of customer feedback at Go Daddy Software

bok

Sorry bok, but you haven't actually answer my question: HOW do you know that?
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

I spoke directly with Bob Parsons, president and founder of Go Daddy.

What happens if you register for 1 year (which shows 2 years in the whois) then transfer away to another registrar.

Mr Parsons would of lost out the $14.95 renewal which would be pure profit as the registry fee had been already payed.

Has anyone tryed this? By registering at Go Daddy for 1 year at $14.95, then transfer away to an enom reseller. So really you get a 2 year registration for about $7.47 year from godaddy.

That's not good advice blob--

Go Daddy Agreement=

You agree that if You delete or Transfer Your .info or .biz domain name during the first year, you will automatically be charged the second year renewal fees.

Copyright 2002 Go Daddy Software, Inc. All rights reserved.

They dont make that very clear, that sentence is right at the bottom of their registration agreement.

So it's a simple installment payment plan, not a one-year registration at all. Register for one year, but agree to pay for the second year even if you decide to delete or transfer your domain...

No deals with the registry. No one year registration as we expected.

-t

I could swear bok is an employee of Go Daddy, all his posts are defending Go Daddy and he seems to know things about the company that others dont.