Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Is my site being hijacked?

Is this possible? I used to use Duploweb (they suck). Many months ago I switched to a different host. Within a few days my DNS change propogated thru the internet (or something technical that I don't understand) and soon all webusers were reaching my site again (rather than the old one).

Well I'm getting emails about my site being gone. One person sent me a screen grab showing that they were redirected to Duploweb with a message about the site being registered there and the site will be coming soon. That seems really odd to me. Did duploweb hijack my website URL? Is that legal since I own it? What do I do? I'm figuring that within a few days this DSN change will further propogate and nobody will get to my real site. HELP?

A URL would help so we can take a look.

www.PSTValumni.com

If it's red, then that's good.
    If it says "Coming Soon" and "Duploweb" that would confirm what others are telling me.

Coming Soon!

I see a Duploweb page - try again with the nameservers (I know that once the http://name version and http://www.name ended up pointing to different places... )

Your nameservers are currenty:

Domain Name Servers in listed order:
    NS1.ITSYOURDOMAIN.COM
    NS2.ITSYOURDOMAIN.COM

If you are using a third part DNS from itsyourdomain.com you need to make sure that it is pointing to the right ip address, otherwise, if those are not the correct nameservers, change them.
    Marty Hoskins
    http://tlcwe.com

Now what do I do. I just sent a support request to my current host. (btw, I'm a newbie to if you're suggesting for me to do something technical, please 'dumb it down' for me)

Re: Is my site being hijacked?

Originally posted by Fife Club
    Well I'm getting emails about my site being gone.
    Both of the nameservers listed in your WHOIS info are down.

-Bob

Re: Re: Is my site being hijacked?

Originally posted by TMX
    Both of the nameservers listed in your WHOIS info are dow
    Yeah, but the site still works for me...

I'm confused.

Maybe your DNS hasn't fully propogated?
    HostDogs.com
    Email: sales@hostdogs.com
    MSN: sales@hostdogs.com

Originally posted by HostDogs
    Maybe your DNS hasn't fully propogated?
    I don't think so. He said he made the switch "many months ago".
    Marty Hoskins

The switch was made in June, so that's why I think this is (for lack of a better term) an URL hijacking.

That "itsyourdomain" stuff is not my authorized registrar. That is the company whom Duploweb uses. (How did you find out all this info? I'm new to the domain scene. I used to just register and not think about it again until it's time to renew)

Whoa! I just looked at the WhoIs report from NetSol.com and it says registrant in dispute! And it says last updated September 10th.

I did a whois lookup to get that info. I didn't notice the in dispute stuff before. Sounds like you need to contact the registrar (whoever you registered the domain with) and see what is up.
    Marty Hoskins

Not to get personal, but
    Are you Mike?
    If yes, is some one disputing this domain?
    If no, then who is this Mike guy, and is he disputing this domain?
    Are the namservers listed below the ones your host told you to change them to when you signed up for hosting?
    Is the IP listed below the one your host told you would be yours when you signed up?

PSTValumni.com resolved to 63.85.86.81

Registrant:
    Mike <removed>

Domain:
    PSTValumni.com

Administrative Contact:
    Mike <removed>

Technical Contact:
    Mike <removed>

Billing Contact:
    Mike <removed>

Record created on June 17, 2002
    Record last updated on September 10, 2002
    Record expires on June 17, 2003

Domain Name Servers in listed order:
    NS1.ITSYOURDOMAIN.COM
    NS2.ITSYOURDOMAIN.COM
    Last edited by Chicken; 09-12-2002 at 08:14 PM.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

Originally posted by ATST
    Not to get personal, but
    Are you Mike?
    If yes, is some one disputing this domain?
    If no, then who is this Mike guy, and is he disputing this domain?
    Are the namservers listed below the ones your host told you to change them to when you signed up for hosting?
    Is the IP listed below the one your host told you would be yours when you signed up?
    Yes I am Mike. No, nobody is disputing the domain name (per copyright or trademark or anything like that).

Immediately after I switched to Duploweb, they consistantly failed to have my webisite's servers up and running. After being down for 8 out of 10 days and failijng to answer even one single support email, I filed a credit charge dispute against Duploweb for failure to deliver service. I then transferred the domain which I already owned (and Duploweb never did) over to another host. That was all back in June and suddenly and without any notification they attacked.

As today has gone on, Duploweb has finally confirmed that they have done this intentionally and now want me to pay them extra damage fees to get MY domain back.

Am I in the Twilight Zone? Am I wrong about this, but even if they claim they want money from me, how does this give them the legal right to confiscate a domain which them never ever owned. And how can the registrar go along with this without checking into it's validity?

STAY AWAY FROM DUPLOWEB!!!!

As today has gone on, Duploweb has finally confirmed that they have done this intentionally and now want me to pay them extra damage fees to get MY domain back.
    This is against ICANN policies as you already own the domain. Contact Itsyourdomain.com at

http://www.itsyourdomain.com/documents/contactus.php and have them give you full control over the domain.

Then transfer your domain over to another registrar....

Did you mean:
    Duploweb owns the registrar where you originally registered your domain.
    Duploweb sucked so you moved to another host.
    Duploweb was upset that you made a charge back for their sucky service, and because they own the registrar where your domain is, they went in and changed the namservers to point to their site?
    WOW what loooozers!

The registrar should not be able to control your domain, so you should be able to log in and change the namerservers back to the ones your current host gave you. This would get your site back up for awhile. but you really need to transfer that domain outa there.
    They appear to be crooks.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."

Duploweb was a nightmare when I was with them as well.
    Sounds like things haven't changed much.
    You need to do like akash said and contact itsyourdomain
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Originally posted by ATST
    Did you mean:
    Duploweb owns the registrar where you originally registered your domain.
    Duploweb sucked so you moved to another host.
    Duploweb was upset that you made a charge back for their sucky service, and because they own the registrar where your domain is, they went in and changed the namservers to point to their site?
    WOW what loooozers!

The registrar should not be able to control your domain, so you should be able to log in and change the namerservers back to the ones your current host gave you. This would get your site back up for awhile. but you really need to transfer that domain outa there.
    They appear to be crooks.
    You got it. I never realized it but yes, Duploweb and itsyourdomain.com are the same company (or some other closer than normal relation). That's how they did this. itsyourdomain.com as deleted my user account and locked me out.

I think it is about to get ugly if that is the case.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Maybe itsyourdomain.com should change their name to itsourdomain.com ?

Make sure you have all the papers, e-mails, that confirm you as the owner of the domain. Then go to the right people and tell tehm what is done to your domain.
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard

If it was me I would get an attorney and file a law suit against them right away, not sure what kind of web site it is, but if it made money or you sold goods and services form it then I would ask for all lost income, slander of name, loss of goodwill etc. Make a BIG law suit and I would not quit until I owned their butts.

But that is just me.

I asked to speak with the registrar who switched cut me out on the phone and they refused. This is their reply...

there really is no point to "straightening it out". Basically, we can break it down very simply, like this: If you want your domain back, you will need to pay the $65.00. If you do not want your domain, do nothing.
    The dispute I have with Duploweb - not the registrar - is over $35. They claim they can charge me for their inconvenience. This is absolutely unbelievable.

OK I have to ask, did you pay for the domain seperately from hosting? Or was it one of those "free domain with hosting" packages?
    Who did you pay for the domain? (what website was the payment link on, and what Company showed up on the charge statement for it)
    Who did you pay for the webhosting? (what website was the payment link on, and what Company showed up on the charge statement for it)
    If buying the domain was completely seperate, ie you paid "itsyourdomain" for it, and you only charged back duploweb for the amount of hosting, they cannot legally hijack your domain.
    I would get together your CC statement(s), copies of emails, ect., email ICANN and see if this is legal.

Never mind, I see the problem
    Register a new domain name through Duploweb.com and we host it completely FREE, for as long as your domain name registration renewal ($35 per year) is processed through our service
    Now you know why their hosting sucks. If they were a decent host, they wouldn't have to offer rediculous deals like that.
    It now looks like you should either pay the $65 but only if they will let you transfer the domain to another registrar.
    Or just get another domain from a real registrar, and let duploweb keep a domain that they don't really want or need. After all they already paid for it, let them have it.
    You can then email your current host with your new domain, and they will change your account over for you.

- thats why folks, you do not get one of those "free domain with hosting" or Free hosting with domain" packages.
    Last edited by ATST; 09-13-2002 at 12:23 PM.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast