I need an entry level dedicated server

Hi, I'm looking for a Linux dedicated server to migrate my current setup to. I have found a very nice solution, but my old server uses cPanel and the new one, should I choose to accept it , would be Plesk 8. I know there are ways to migrate cPanel >> Plesk, but it has to be done manually... So I have 2 choices:
    1. Go with the Plesk 8 setup and find someone to do the migration for me as I am not technically adept enough to do it myself. If anyone here is interested in helping me I would love to hear from you.OR
    2. Find a similar setup that uses cPanel, which would make it easier to migrate. Unfortunately I have not been able to find one at the same price and configuration. Again, if anyone can help me find this I would be grateful.
    The setup is as follows:
    2.2GHz AMD Athlon 64 (single core)
    1GB DDR RAM
    320GB HDD
    Any Linux OS
    8 IP addresses (or more if possible)
    100MBit connection
    $76/month
    Thanks in advance for any constructive responses.

With that amount of budget, you should consider a VPS. However, VPS usually has less space. Do you really need 320GB space? How about the required bandwidth?

__________________3inetworks JSC - US west coast managed hosting solutionsHigh availability power setup with APC solutions (N+1)Premium 10Gbps network rings: NTT/Verio, GBLX, Level(3), Integra Telecom (N+2)
    Shared hosting, Xen VPS, Dedicated servers - choose what you need. We believe in your choice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gate2vn

With that amount of budget, you should consider a VPS. However, VPS usually has less space. Do you really need 320GB space? How about the required bandwidth?

Thanks for the reply.
    No I wouldn't need 320 GB of space. About 160GB would be enough for now (no RAID). Most servers come with 2,000GB+ which is more than I need, so that is not a concern.
    I am open to VPS suggestions too, but I would like at least 8 IP addresses, which I'm not sure is possible with VPS. Also, since I can get a dedicated server for that price, why go with VPS? My budget ceiling is $100/month, but would obviously prefer something lower if possible. It would allow me to add automatic backups and uptime monitoring etc without getting too expensive.
    I would need to host about 60 domains and a few MySQL databases - nothing too crazy.

I would suggest raising your budget a little bit and going with a low end dedicated, possibly from The Planet or another well known, but budget host.
    A VPS wouldn't be able to meet the requirements you need to.

__________________Brian Farrell | Email: bfarrell@colocrossing.comColoCrossing Internet Services
    Dedicated

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianFarrell

I would suggest raising your budget a little bit and going with a low end dedicated, possibly from The Planet or another well known, but budget host.
    A VPS wouldn't be able to meet the requirements you need to.

Yes I am mainly looking at dedicated, but the previous poster suggested VPS because he wasn't sure about some of my requirements.
    I have found an excellent solution that I quoted in my original post, but the problem is that it is Plesk 8 only, and my current setup is CPanel, which I understand can cause some problems when migrating. I am not sure enough of my technical skills to try it myself so I would need someone to help me with that.
    Will check out your suggestions as well. Thanks.

I think you should stick with Cpanel to make sure everything runs when the transfer is done.

Agreed, Sticking with cPanel would make things a LOT easier.

__________________★ Leapfrog AVIT Ltd - http://hosting.leapfrogavit.com★ Shared Linux Hosting, Virtual Servers, Dedicated Servers, Domain Registration★ UK Based Servers, cPanel 11, 99.9% Uptime Guarentee, Big Enough To Cope - Small Enough To Care!★ MSN: carl.silver AT leapfrogavit DOT com

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjohnson3757

I think you should stick with Cpanel to make sure everything runs when the transfer is done.

Take care of backups. Transferring is place where data can be easily lost. I assume that has already been done?

__________________MicroVPS.com - Virtuozzo VPS
    Move to the better place !

Having you own dedicated server is the best you can do, but take into consideration the expenses and the time lost in server management. It is definitely better to try with a powerful Virtual Server. You budget will be enough to get one.

__________________Host ColorWeb Hosting - Virtuozzo VPS Hosting - Managed Services with 24x7 personal support representative
    Data centers in US and The Netherlands (EU) since 2000

microvps, thanks for the tip. No it has not been done, but it will be before any work begins.
    HostColor, I have always found it rather easy to manage my server. Keep in mind that I am not running anything fancy. Some simple HTML sites and a few fairly simple database ones. Another poster suggested that VPS would not be sufficient for my needs, I presume because I was asking for extra IP's. Can you tell me for sure that the exact setup I am asking for is possible in a virtual server?
    Thanks.

Extra IP is just fine. You can pay a little more for it.
    The reason I advice you to go with VPS is the quality of hardware. With that amount of budget, you have old server (might be few years in use), then the chance to face to fail hardware is bigger than using new hardware with VPS. Also, a good VPS node will use raid-10 disk array, can give you better performance than single disk in low-end dedicated server.
    For control panel request, keep cPanel will be easy for you to move data. However, DirectAdmin is a good control panel (it's better than cPanel from my views), and you can easily to move data from cPanel to DA too. Another thing you can consider

__________________3inetworks JSC - US west coast managed hosting solutionsHigh availability power setup with APC solutions (N+1)Premium 10Gbps network rings: NTT/Verio, GBLX, Level(3), Integra Telecom (N+2)
    Shared hosting, Xen VPS, Dedicated servers - choose what you need. We believe in your choice!

Hivelocity Q Guest
    Like most have said, budget is a factor here, you can go with cpanel again if you want to make the migration really really easy, or try to go for a free control panel. Webmin is a bit more clunky to navigate and takes a bit more skill, lxadmin is pretty easy to work with, and so is vhcs. Google each one and do the demos that'll knock $25ish right off the bottom line. Then you can zero in on those hardware requirements. I'm not saying that it can't be done but it will take some good old fashioned detective work to get that price. Try not to sacrifice support for your price either.

__________________Dedicated Servers - dave@hivelocity.net - 1-888-869-HOST(4678)Viva Hivelocity "THE SERVER STUD" - Award Winning Hosting
    Managed Dedicated Servers. Reseller Discounts. 24/7 Impressive Tech Support.