View Poll Results: Is Hosting Assured Worth It

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I am a member and i feel it gives my customers more confidence in my company.

7 24.14%
  • Yes i am a member but i feel it makes no difference to my customers opinion.

3 10.34%
  • No i am not a member, i dont see the point

16 55.17%
  • No i am not a member, but i may consider joining

3 10.34%

Thread: Hosting Assured

Hosting Assured

Hi,

I just signed up for Hosting Assured from FindMyHosting.com how many of you are signed up to this and do you think it has a valuable benefit, Does it give the customers more confidence in you?

The logo looks crappish

Maybe it gives some customers confidence but I didn't get the impression that the logo is worth one helluvalot.

Try to get some logos on your site from companies that everybody knows. Like the BBBonline membership or the Verisign privacy statement logos

Is the BBB only in canada and America?? I am looking for something here in the UK, i know of the Which online webtrader logo but not sure how to get it.

Aye, only in the US and CA.

I think verisign is global though.

Which online is very popular in the UK. I've given that one a shot too once but got stuck on the part where they required to put the full address and phonenumber on the site. I wasn't ready for that.

Like a whois won't reveal that though

They have the sign up procedures listed on their page.

Yeah i just checked the which site, i dont want to put some of that information on the site, so i think thats out of the question.

I voted for No i am not a member, i dont see the point

Thumbs up Credit Card logos

tazd9t9,

If you accept credit cards and debit cards then you can list the logos on the homepage. That always looks good and inspires confidence.

Or maybe the 'Find us in the Yellow Pages' logos?

Or perhaps get the logos from some of the larger directories that have been around for 5 years or more and have some branding
    Tommy
    www.webhostdir.com - Web Host Directory
    forums.webhostdir.com

I won't comment on any of the opinions either way - everybody has a right to their opinion.

One point I do want to make though is that Hosting Assured is independant, totally free and has helped consumers.

Customers clicking on the seal can read reviews and testimonials from other customers as well as read the code of ethics. Hosting Assured does not accept hosts that offer unlimited bandwidth plans. H-A is relatively new but has hundreds of participating hosts and is growing at a fast pace.

So - in terms of if it is worth it - purely a judgement call on the part of the host, but it costs nothing and certainly cannot be any detriment in a very competitive market where consumers have a lot of choices and are looking for good signs from prospective hosting companies.

No system is perfect, but the aims of Hosting Assured are good & the system works.
    Last edited by NovaW; 09-12-2002 at 11:46 AM.
    Andrew McMaster
    http://www.FindMyHosting.com
    Compare Prices, Consumer Reviews, Help, Guides and More.

Just noticed that you do display some card logos so maybe just the Yellow pages then.

The UK government are really pushing Internet initiatives right now so there might be something with them that you can be accredited with or use. Alternatively get in touch with your local chamber of commerce to see if you can use something of theirs.

As for a hosting watchdog, I do think it is a good idea for consumers but it has to be truly independent to work. It would also be good if it was a body that the public recognises and trusts. UK examples are Advertising Standards Agency, Independent Television Commission, Oftel and so on.
    Tommy
    www.webhostdir.com - Web Host Directory
    forums.webhostdir.com

Customers clicking on the seal can read reviews and testimonials from other customers as well as read the code of ethics. Hosting Assured does not accept hosts that offer unlimited bandwidth plans. H-A is relatively new but has hundreds of participating hosts and is growing at a fast pace
    Yes, you support Unlimiband which blacklist host. I have stated a hundred times, I do not like unlimited, but I hate blacklist sites even more that are used to attack someone or something elses views or marketing. To me it is lame. Hence I would never consider your program.

I am sure you are crushed.

I agree. The BBB seal (when actually bought, not stolen from someones site) is the best there is for US/CA based businesses. We actually have people e-mail and say they chose us because we are part of the BBB.

Yes, you support Unlimiband which blacklist host. I have stated a hundred times, I do not like unlimited, but I hate blacklist sites even more that are used to attack someone or something elses views or marketing
    I can respect your position on that. We do support Unlimband - because we believe it is a useful & valuable consumer resource.

We could not accept unlimited bandwidth hosts - it would be contrary to the 1st 3 ethics of H-A, but we don't blacklist any company - if they fall short - we just drop them from H-A. By falling short I mean that they fail to work toward a solution. The aim when a customer files a complaint is to find a solution to the problem. Problems often occur in any business, but a good measure of any company is how they deal with it.
    Andrew McMaster

Well i've finally got my hosting assured code so i guess it will go on the site somewhere, I also did join unlimband a while ago but im not sure if im going to use that logo.

Maybe it gives some customers confidence but I didn't get the impression that the logo is worth one helluvalot.
    Um, yes, I think you need more sleep. We subscribe to hosting assured and our customers have posted a fairly substantial number of reviews.

Hey Jeff thats good to hear, we had the findsp logo on our site, that got a fair number of reviews too.
    The reason i was asking about the confidence issue is that customers can file complaints against you with hosting assured as well as leave reviews, do you think it makes them feel more confident that they have someone they can complain to? Even if hosting assured cant do alot

We could not accept unlimited bandwidth hosts - it would be contrary to the 1st 3 ethics of H-A, but we don't blacklist any company
    Understood. However, you 'support' unlimiband - which blacklist. So in turn, you blacklist in a way.

Also, companies like RS who have unmetered should be able to join. Not sure why they would be not allowed. But since you support Unlimiband, they don't support unmetered, they couldn't join.

Anyway, you do have a nice resource.

The reason i was asking about the confidence issue is that customers can file complaints against you with hosting assured as well as leave reviews, do you think it makes them feel more confident that they have someone they can complain to?
    I suppose some customers like it. Frankly, I think the greatest benefit is in FindMyHosting (as well as being able to show potential customer your positive reviews), good reviews can propel your plans to the top of a search.

good reviews can propel your plans to the top of a search.
    Which leads to scum bag host propagating their reviews with BS data.

Which leads to scum bag host propagating their reviews with BS data.
    You should take a moment to explore something before slamming it. Andrew has a good system in place.

I know he does. But I am also not stupid enough to think scum bags use the system. Sorry if you are so naive. Not my problem. I think it is real easy to buy numerous domains or have friends submit reviews. Even with a check like he has.

And how about you take the time to show me where I slammed him. Please do. Reviews have always been abused - and always will be. Too bad most potential 'victims' do not understand this.

ah si, pero BBB es muy caro (you know, expensive)

And how about you take the time to show me where I slammed him.
    I didn't say you slammed him, rather, I used the word "it"; meaning, the system of review.

I know he does. But I am also not stupid enough to think scum bags use the system. Sorry if you are so naive. Not my problem. I think it is real easy to buy numerous domains or have friends submit reviews. Even with a check like he has.
    I think you need to rework this paragraph, thanks for exposing my naiveté.

The default method of returning search results in FindMyHosting is price, customers can resort the results by review score & soon they will be able to resort by measured reliability. So - as Jeff states - a high number of reviews + good scores can move a plan to the top of the search results. The rating score is also not just a rate 1-10 type thing - it is based on a list of specific questions.

Certainly any system is open to abuse even with checks in place to prevent it. Our constant aim is a fair and honest system - so should we find abuse we take it seriously.

What you can't do in FindMyHosting is buy your way to the top of the results, or buy an unfair advantage.

We know our system is not perfect - no such system exists, but we put a lot of thought & energy into making it the best it can be. No matter what - some people will still look for the genuine flaws & that's okay - it's healthy to always keep a balanced perspective & use the feedback to hopefully improve further.
    Andrew McMaster

I think you need to rework this paragraph, thanks for exposing my naiveté.
    I'll make you deal. I will work on my paragraph if you rework on your web site design.

PS - nice response to a complaint:

"We have tried very hard to help you, it is discouraging that you fail to appreciate it."

It's not my design, I simply work for the company - they've redesigned it once in response to my nagging. As for the complaint, it was purely vindictive - he's still a customer. Anything else? Shall I provide a picture so you can comment on my haircut or are you going to return to the topic at hand?

And Andrew, before people get their panties in a bunch because someone posted constructive critism about something, I will say you have a very nice resource and a great reviews section. But it doesn't mean I can't not like the Unlimiband support or the reviews section is being abused (as I just read some).

Jeff, if you don't want to play with cats, don't be a mouse. I believe you scurried past first. Opppss - there is my bad grammar again. I will rework it.

Originally posted by Rotifer

. . . . . . . We subscribe to hosting assured and our customers have posted a fairly substantial number of reviews.
    About sums up why you have a problem with someone that questions the whole review process?
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Not at all. I enjoy criticism provided it is pointed and, as Umbillycord claims, constructive. Out of concerns similar to those stated above, I tried to post a review in FindMyHosting. I'm sure that safeguards could be defeated (what can't?) but, in this instance, they seem to have worked fairly well. I know, you have e-mail notification turned off - oh well.

LOL . . . . . . Well at least someone paid attention to my previous signature.

I do read a lot though. I read as many new posts and threads as I can possibly fit in.

Back to topic . . . . I voted, "No i am not a member, i dont see the point"
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.