Seeking cheap, tolerable web hosting

Hello, all.

I wrote some software for a very specific market, and made it available as shareware. Originally I used webprovider.com for about a year, but they seemed to drop off the face of the earth. I moved to a free provider in England, but all of a sudden they seemed to flake out and no longer served my pages or answered e-mail inquiries. Then, I thought I found the perfect host: Cyberwings. ( Enough said?)

I don't need a lot of server space. (10 MB would be more than enough. I could certainly make do with 5 MB.) I don't need a lot of bandwidth. (My software installer is about 1.7 MB, and have had about 1,000 hits on the download page in two years. Presumably, many of those people didn't download the software. Even if they did, that's 1.7 GB over 2 years, less than 100 MB/month. Frankly, I doubt there are 1,000 likely users of my software.)

In two years I've received less than $200 in shareware payments. By the time you figure in what I paid to buy VB to create the software, the yearly fees for my domain, and what I've spent burning CDs to hand out, I'm certainly not very far ahead. If I were paying even $5 per month for hosting, I'd be pretty deep in the hole.

That's why I need a dirt-cheap domain host. I don't need lots of customer service. I don't need lots of fancy features. I don't need databases. All I need is a domain host for about 30 html files, about as many .jpg files, and the installer. I'd be happy with e-mail forwarding, or web-based e-mail, or pop3. Oh, and I'd like for them to still be in business in, say, three months. (That would be a new experience for me lately.)

Can anybody recommend someone with few enough features and a low enough price to meet my needs?

Thanks. -- b.r.t.

I was with Dixiesys for a while before I went out on my own and they were great. I can help you out free of charge in an exchange of services. PM or email me if you like..

I wonder what the softwrae is and the relationship to VB. Do you you mean vBulletin?
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

Originally posted by NexDog
    I wonder what the softwrae is and the relationship to VB. Do you you mean vBulletin?
    Just a guess here but I think VB refers to Visual Basic.

Thanks for the assistance. As my number indicates, I'm a supreme newbie in this forum, and hadn't been aware of the Hosting Request forum. I'll look there, as well.

NexDog --
    The software assists with running fencing tournaments according to US Fencing Association rules. That's not a real big market. And VB is for Visual Basic.

Thanks again.

-- b.r.t.
    Last edited by Chicken; 09-12-2002 at 10:55 PM.