hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : VPS Hosting : VPS recommendation with fast mysql and redundancy

Forum Jump

VPS recommendation with fast mysql and redundancy

Reply Post New Thread In VPS Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 12:31 PM
WHT Addict

VPS recommendation with fast mysql and redundancy

Hello, I have a mysql based e-comm site that works only with older version of php and mysql. My shared host does not meet this requirements, so I have to go with a dedicated or vps.
I am looking for a server to have a fast mysql query.
Is there any vps providers that offer redundancy of the server, meaning if the server crash there should be a standby sever to take over?
Any recommendation please...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2008, 02:05 PM
Anti "stay away from"...

That means that you'll need two VPS servers. Why not just get two VPS servers, then setup replication? If not, then you'll need to spend a couple of hundred dollars per month to do load balancing.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Custom Hosting Master

Chances are on a VPS you will be in a shared environment, so even if you have dedicated RAM you will still be sharing I/O and CPU, so you may want to go with a server with an SAS disk, and a SATA backup. The server should never crash unless there is a hardware failure if you set everything up properly.

__________________478east
Custom Hosting Solutions
Complex Content Delivery

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Web Hosting Guru

This may sound typical, but why don't you update your scripts?

Old 11-20-2008, 05:16 PM
WHT Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynash

This may sound typical, but why don't you update your scripts?

You are correct,unfortunately the codes are messy and since it is custom made, I think the best solution is to keep the same.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:14 PM
Junior Guru

The sort of redundancy you are looking for is typically called high availability (or HA), but goes beyond just having another server on standby.
Any hosting company should have spares in case of hardware failure. However, since typical setups use a local RAID array, all your live data is on a single machine. If it falls over the host is going to do their best to move that data over to the spare hardware, because resorting to backups means everyone losses at least a little data. Unfortunately moving disks, rebuilding RAID arrays and doing file system checks can be a lengthy process, and it can take hours just to find out it isn't going to work.
The good news is these kinds of failures are rare, but since you are asking about redundancy hopefully the "high availability" search term will bring some relevant results.
Jim

__________________Blue Room Hosting - High availability UK VPSOpenVZ Plans - Linux onlyKVM Plans - Multi OS, custom installs

Old 11-22-2008, 12:27 AM
Corporate Member

High availability (HA) VPS services do exist. I'm not familiar with the way Virtuozzo HA works (would like to learn from anyone willing to explain it), but ESX can store virtual machines on shared storage and if a physical host fails, it will start that virtual machine the next best physical host (least utilized) in the cluster.
Other solutions, such as blade solutions, can do something similar at the physical layer, so if a blade fails, it can start another blade in its place as long as shared storage is being used.
Needless to say, the shared storage needs to be redundant as well, though, so having redundant shared storage switches, cabling, and controllers (both in the SAN and servers) is important too.
So, not exactly a recommendation of providers, but a short overview of what to look for in some of the upcoming recommended providers made by others.
Eric

__________________Genesis Hosting Solutions, LLChttp://www.genesishosting.com/
Lease part of our ESX cluster!
Unlimited virtual machines within your purchased resources!

Old 11-22-2008, 12:35 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcard

You are correct,unfortunately the codes are messy and since it is custom made, I think the best solution is to keep the same.

If the site/business is worth some cash then please rethink this.
You would be much better off spending a few $ on having a decent developer update the code for you.
It will be more secure, less resource intensive and up to date if you simply have the code updated to the latest PHP and MySQL optimised code. You can also ask to have new features added that may benefit your site/business.
Also hosts will not support PHP4 and MySQL4 for ever, eventually they will be EOL and you will be forced to update the code.
Just something to think about for your future plans

Old 11-22-2008, 03:23 AM
timmotyjohn

re

I don't have any idea regarding this. But this dusussion help me a lot.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:15 AM
John Raul

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcard

What versions of PHP and MySQL does your script require?

Old 11-22-2008, 05:06 AM
WHT Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Raul

What versions of PHP and MySQL does your script require?

I noticed that some of my scripts are not working when the db is 5.1.x but works well 4.x.x and 5.0.x

Old 11-22-2008, 07:44 AM
John Raul

I see, so your issue is MySQL database version. Did you ever try to ask your current host if they can help you? It sounds like a minor issue to me. You should think again if you really need a VPS. Nevertheless, VPS offers solution, more features like better control and more freedom -- at typically a bit higher price than shared hosting. There are VPS starters package at Host Color if you need it. Ask your current host first or if possible, update your database query scripts.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Tesora's OpenStack DBaaS Supports MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis, and MySQL Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 14:53:11
Google Releases Hosted Database Service Cloud SQL to General Availability Web Hosting News 2014-02-12 13:46:02
WebHosting.coop Set to Prove a Democratically-Run, Shared Web Hosting Cooperative Can Work Web Hosting News 2013-12-17 12:48:54
ISPs Uniquely Positioned to Improve National Cybersecurity: PCAST Report Web Hosting News 2013-11-25 11:36:53
Google Cloud Provides Support For Native MySQL Connections Web Hosting News 2013-11-01 14:36:06