whois - hiding personal information

I notice that GoDaddy allows you the option of having your contact information private when someone does a whois on your domain name (for $12 per year).. I wonder if Network Solutions also does this and for how much? Do any other companies do this for a cheaper price?

Thanks,
    ~mioi

I did not know that GoDaddy can do that for a fee. I doubt it if network solution will provide the service at this point, though they coming along. Surely this will be fee based service.
    WirelessCon.Com BlackHat.INFO Business.NU

No and no.

Most of the information for my domains at godaddy are already hidden when I do a whois at netsol. I have never paid for that - thought that was normal?

John

I've got this information from other domain forum. The domainbyproxy.com is another service provided by go daddy, of course with associated fee.

Of course with a fee.
    I don't think you can completely hide this info even for a fee.
    I get whois all the time from GoDaddy. Of course I use my own DIG and whois from my site.
    Maybe GoDaddy is saying they will hide it from people who search on GoDaddy for it?

Or you could just get subdomain hosting, and don't worry about it.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

Originally posted by ATST
    Of course with a fee.
    I don't think you can completely hide this info even for a fee.
    I get whois all the time from GoDaddy. Of course I use my own DIG and whois from my site.
    Maybe GoDaddy is saying they will hide it from people who search on GoDaddy for it?

Or you could just get subdomain hosting, and don't worry about it.
    I agree with your assessment, technically you can't hide it . You know what I talking to.

Onother option, as I did to my customer. I allow them to use our name as a contact then we add their domains to our database to maintain these records. It is added work for us but satisfying to our customers.

The service provided by domainsbyproxy.com is not hiding the information (per say) but the service entails domains by proxy's information being shown as opposed to your own.---
    And no, i know of no one else offering this service.

***** Per the domains by proxy web site=
    Your domain is registered in our name, which means Domains By Proxy takes ownership of it. Because Domains By Proxy owns the domain, our information, and not yours, is published in WHOIS.

You still control your domain because your agreement with us gives you FULL BENEFITS of ownership. You can:

• Cancel, sell, renew or transfer your domain
    • Set-up the name servers for your domain
    • Resolve disputes involving your domain

We create a private email address for your domain. When your private email address receives messages, we will, at your direction: forward, not forward, or filter the messages for SPAM before forwarding. More..
    We protect your identity and only reveal it under special circumstances.

But don't even think about using our services to transmit SPAM, violate the law or engage in morally objectionable activities.

Why you want private domain registration:

• To stop and/or not be subject to domain related spam.
    • To deter identity fraud and theft.
    • To stop harassers, stalkers and data miners cold in their tracks!
    • To protect your identity if you "moonlight".
    • To protect your privacy.
    • To run your home business without the prying eyes or intervention of others.

interesting, this domain by proxy. I would hate to trust anyone with a decent domain of mine. What if they went out of business? Wouldn't everything they owned get sold off?

That would be my luck.

As for Godaddy, they hide the info by default from other's whois attempts. But if you goto their website to do the whois, you can get the info after typing in a random generated number to prove you aren't an automated process looking it up.

I figured they did it to discourage people from wasting their bandwidth and processor cycles. I find that I usually goto joker.com for whois requests when I am in a rush, just because it's simple. Used to goto allwhois.com, but they seem to be down each time I try them, always comes up with a blank result.

-WC-

It’s a little like leasing a car. You drive the car, fuel the car, repair the car, and basically make all the decisions regarding your car, but you are not actually the car’s owner, the leasing company owns the car. By complying with your lease agreement, you retain ownership privileges. Though not a perfect analogy, the same holds true for Domains By Proxy services.

I had no idea why they did that. And is it legal? --- Does it violate the Digital Millenium Act?

There are too many registrars that abuse control over domains names now.
    I hate to think what would happen if I allowed one to officially be the owner, and I who is paying for it, be the unofficial owner.

WildCard is right, if they go belly up, you lose.
    I could see if Timmy owned a company like this. He would take your money and not renew the domain.
    Isn't that a bit much? Just trying to worry people into using their service.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

Domains by proxy is not going out of business.....they are under the same holding company as Go Daddy, they would all have to go under, not likely.

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isn't that a bit much? Just trying to worry people into using their service.

I don't think this is a bit much. I heard a radio interview with Bob Parsons who gave an example of this exact situation (stalkers) which was what prompted him to create a company like Domains by Proxy.

Bok, are you a Go Daddy employee? Every single one your posts on WHT have been about praising Go Daddy and sticking up for it!

Originally posted by blob2
    Bok, are you a Go Daddy employee? Every single one your posts on WHT have been about praising Go Daddy and sticking up for it!

I've consolidated all of my domains at Go Daddy and have friends that work for the company-just want to talk positive about Go Daddy and stay away from talking about the bad experiences I’ve had at other registrars....that's all.

To mirror this, I've moved out of GoDaddy gradually as my domains are up for renewal - enom is much better.