Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dunno it is just not in my blood to do as RachShack does.
    If you grow, you will. We learned this from experience. I am a huge number cruncher. I keep stats on everything, including stuff like this. We have found we need to be stiff on support and billing. No lead way. This doesn't mean we suck at support. Quite the opposite. We have a large customerbase. We have maybe one or two complaints. Non here! We have been ith the BBB online for going on three years. People can go right to our site and file a complaint online. Real easy. We have one complaint and it was resolved! My point is that being strict on what you support does not equal bad service.

It is great for small host to handhold. That is a way to build a base. But there comes a point where this is no longer possible. Things like freely working on peoples scripts or web sites just add up to costing you more then that person pays.

When you go to a bookstore and buy a book in German. Is it that person behind the desk responsibilty to teach you German or read it out load for you? No. Same with hosting. Put 100% toward ensuring everything you *offfer* is supported and working. Your customer needs to now make sure they handle their end.

Monte,

Regarding limiting the support like RackShack, I do agree with you as well.

How may % of RackShack's clients are happy with their limited support ? I'm not saying they are not happy with their service, but their support. Simply whatever you ask them, whether they tell you to look into the forum, or they don't provide support for that. It's fine... since they are providing un-managed dedicated servers.

But what about a hosting company, can they be the same ? of course not. All the hosting companies are claiming superior customer service, excellent , best etc. So, would you count a hosting provider which limits the support like RackShack as an Excellent customer support ? There are far too many web hosting providers, it's like a flash for a client to move to a new host.

We have mentioned in our acceptable usage policy that support is just limited to problems that rise from our end, however as a favor we will try our bests to help you with your problem.

There are far too many third party scripts, databases, and etc. that you cannot provide support for that. It takes ages to get to know to system and they way each of them work. I believe most of hosting providers will not support third party stuffs.
    Amir Golestan
    Executive Director | Micfo
    datacenter facilities in 39 cities across the world | AS53889
    www.micfo.com/datacenter

Originally posted by Winkie
    I'd say you've done a fantastic job of supporting him, probably better than me when I did support (well, maybe just as good :p)
    Hello,

I appreciate your kind comments. Thank you for your understanding :-)
    Amir Golestan
    www.micfo.com/datacenter

All I can say is WOW! I think we all have experienced similar conversations with customers. Your tech staffs professionalism really shined through and you did what you could for the customer. Everything else aside the person was lucky to have you as a host. Keep in mind maybe they will be back when they become a little more knowledgable with html
    Cyber Wurx - Atlanta Co-location Provider
    Serving businesses since 1997
    Atlanta Data centers owned and operated with 24/7ONSITE Support
    http://www.cyberwurx.com or sales@cyberwurx.com

I agree that this person was a little... needy. But speaking from someone who can't use FTP, and who writes HTML onsite through a control panel, not having those features is very frustrating.

Next time, this person will know better and ask a host who will supply him with what he needs. It sucks that you got caught up in his growing pains, though.
    The giant hamster of doom rains coconuts upon your tiny city.

Originally posted by Mr.G
    All I can say is WOW! I think we all have experienced similar conversations with customers. Your tech staffs professionalism really shined through and you did what you could for the customer. Everything else aside the person was lucky to have you as a host. Keep in mind maybe they will be back when they become a little more knowledgable with html
    Mr. G ,

Hmmmm, Don't know how to answer to your kind comments. a Big thank you :-)

I hope our tech. department deserve that.

I'm sure all the hosting providers are trying to keep their clients happy, otherwise they are gone in 60 seconds. Cause an experienced person said, it's much easier to sell to whom you've already sold. Better to keep your current clients happy, rather than looking for new customers.

And of course we are following the leaders, and taking advantage of their experiences. They are good in support, so we've gotta be good as well.
    Amir Golestan
    www.micfo.com/datacenter

Heh, heh.
    Yes, your tech gave them good answers that they won't get at a lot of other hosts.
    People like to be treated special. No matter what you do, you will get people who want a 'little' more.
    Not only do I have tutorials on html, index files, creating files, FTPing, ect., I also have a a WYSIWYG editor in their control panel, plus a "Make changes" form that lets them enter any changes they want me to make for them. (no charge for one instance per month for as many changes as they can fit on the form. LOL) For image changes, all they have to do is, fill out the above form telling me the name of pic and where they want it. (for security reasons, I make it two steps, which is all logged) They are automatically sent the URL and password to the actual upload page. They hit the browse button select the file, and hit the upload button. They can also email me the changes.
    Either way, this would take them ten minutes max, and me about the same to download, optimise the pic, upload the new one, and make the change.
    So what do people do? They call and tell me they will be dropping off some pics for me to scan and change. This will take them 30 minutes driving time one way, at least 20 minutes talking about it, ect. By the time they leave, I could have done it ten times over.

Oh, well, at least they are happy.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

All the hosting companies are claiming superior customer service, excellent , best etc. So, would you count a hosting provider which limits the support like RackShack as an Excellent customer support ?
    RS does not sell managed services. So their support does *exactly* what you are paying for. So yes, it is good support. If you go and buy a hotdog for $.05 without a bun, are you going to complain when it doesn't come witht he bun? If you are, then buy a hotdog that comes with one. Most people who buy low-spec, cheap servers know they will be unmanaged. So they got exactly what they paid for and they understand that. It is the cheap skates that want the world on a platter for pennies who don't get it. These are the ones who complain about RS support. "Why didn't they rebuild apache and install my custom built software? They suck!".

ATST, as a one person show, you can do these things. But when you have 10 techs helping hundreds of tickets a day, these type of service levels are not possible. A customer paying $10.00/mo can cost you way more in employee salaries and other expenses just to help in a way you are doing. Unless you calculate this type of "Fanatical" support into your prices (like Rack SPACE), youare losing money on that customer.

Anyway, just my though on it.

Hello,

Well I just want to appreciate all your inputs and Im very interested in hearing such experiences that you had with your clients.

Thanks in advance.
    Amir Golestan
    www.micfo.com/datacenter

Originally posted by HeadMaster

Dear friend,

I simply meant " A hosting provider that offers site builder along with their standard features. "

Any idea ?
    Umm, that was what i was saying exactly. Search on google for the term" site builder web hosting" and it will show which web hosting companies have it.

Plain and simple.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

LOL. I know I shouldn't laugh, but some people are hopeless when it comes to the internet.
    hostVentura
    adam.ferree@gmail.com
    AIM: windsofnihility

Can you please recommend me the host that offer on-line editors that would have, obviously, better suited this client.
    http://homestead.com ?

Re: Why some clients think you are responsible for everything related to their web site ?

You should make it clear in your ToS and hosting plan page the scope of reasonable support to:

- protect yourself from clients like this who abuse tech support (whether or not intentionally)
    - let your clients know that they are expected to know the 'basics' of webpages

Hello,

Thanks for your post and your suggestion.

We have already listed this in our Acceptable Usage Policy, but seems when they want tech. support, they don't care about anything. They just want their technical issue to be resolved. And Simply we cannot address them to our AUP and tell them OK ! due to this and this we cannot give you support, this is not supported.
    Amir Golestan
    www.micfo.com/datacenter

Just leave them in the past. If they were that dependent on your support team, they would have most likely caused more problems.
    hostVentura
    adam.ferree@gmail.com

Can you please recommend me the host that offer on-line editors that would have, obviously, better suited this client. So I can give some ideas to my valued client ( Even he left us already ) ?
    ever tried running something like trellix?

I also just realized that your company has control panel demos...So, they should have known better when they signed up
    hostVentura
    adam.ferree@gmail.com

Originally posted by ChickenFart

ever tried running something like trellix?
    No... What's it about and where can I get additional info ?

Anyway, thanks for advising.
    Amir Golestan
    www.micfo.com/datacenter

Originally posted by dreamHOBO
    I also just realized that your company has control panel demos...So, they should have known better when they signed up
    Yeah, we provide our clients with choice of Ensim 3.0 and Cpanel 5.0. We have highly recommened the visitors to test drive it before they sign-up.

Anyway, he's gone now.... By having a new client, you won't become rich and by loosing him, you won't be poor.
    Amir Golestan
    www.micfo.com/datacenter

No... What's it about and where can I get additional info ?
    http://www.trellix.com/products/sitebuilding.asp <-- check that out. Although this is far after the fact, and a lot of trouble for just one customer, it's a program your customers use to make basic websites.

::EDIT::

But i'm sure there are plenty of cheaper and simpler solutions

Hello,

I'll take a look at their web site, to get more info. I appreciate your input and suggestion.

Have a wonderful day ChickenFart.
    Amir Golestan
    www.micfo.com/datacenter

Hello,

Thanks for your post and your suggestion.

We have already listed this in our Acceptable Usage Policy, but seems when they want tech. support, they don't care about anything. They just want their technical issue to be resolved. And Simply we cannot address them to our AUP and tell them OK ! due to this and this we cannot give you support, this is not supported.
    I understand you can't just turn them away like that. the clause in your AUP is just to protect yourself in case they go to extremes and try to tarnish your merchant account record, etc...

However, it isn't really fair to you if you have to answer endless open ended questions about webpage basics. In this case I usually refer this person to other resources, for example a program or tutorial that will help them out. 94.2% of the time they will leave you alone for the most part.

Hello,

Our tech. department has done whatever could be done. They even asked him to provide us with the pages/changes that he want to make on his web site, and we will be much happier to modify/change them for him.

Isn't it enough ?

As earlier a friend mentioned, there are always some people who need 'little' more :-)
    Amir Golestan
    www.micfo.com/datacenter

I think he's basically saying you should draw the line somewhere. You shouldn't be responsible for any scripting issues at all. The farthest i'd go is to send the customer a few links or tell him/her to consult the helpfiles for whatever program he/she is having issues with (if the program isn't a mail program or something and has to do with scripting)

Don't get me wrong, I help my customers as much as they can, but there is just a point after which they are asking for too much; when you are spending hours trying to help them learn the web, it is really not reasonable to spend so much time teaching them something that is not directly related to the hosting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12