Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Why some clients think you are responsible for everything related to their web site ?

Hello,

Dear friends, I would like to get your opinion on the following conversations, which was made between a client of us and our technical department.

I believe use of web hosting services require a certain level of knowledge in the use of Internet languages, protocols, and software. This level of knowledge varies depending on the anticipated use and desired content of Client's web space by the Client. The following examples are offered:

- Web Publishing: requires knowledge of HTML, properly locating and linking documents, FTPing Web contents, Graphics, text, sound, image mapping, etc.

- FrontPage web publishing: knowledge of the FrontPage tools as well as Telnet and FTP understanding and capability.

** So, who's to be blame here ? ( Our Technical Department or client ? )

Here we go with the conversations:

Client's e-mail to Tech. department - # 1
    ==============================================
    Hello my name is *******. I have a doman name basic package with you. My domain name is ------------.com

I had a web designer who was designing my journal using ftp and now I'm the one designing it, however I'm not quite familiar with it or microsoft front page

however, I'm familiar with html coding and I would like to do my pages working ina file editor section of the page.

now I'm not sure how to create a new file, edit the html area of the file, or rename files, so I can archive them.
    however I have a good idea how to archive accept I would need to rename the file so the current opening page of my journal that is under my domain name, would have to be renamed and archived.

and the new page i would have that will be permanent would by under my domain name as the file name.

What I need is to be able to create new files, editing the html area of the file, (code the page manually in advanced edit) then I need to be able to create a director where the file should exist and link the files from there.
    I need to able to rename my current first page of my site that is under ********.com (my domain name) and make the new page I create under my domain name.

I spent three house inside the control panel of my site and all I saw was create a new directory and upload files from your computer. I did not see anything that allow you to create a blank files and code it manually and I need to be able to do that. I know that many other places have that feature of advanced edit (html area of the files (documents)

that is what I need and have to have in order to do my pages now. If someone can assist me with finding out where this feature is in the control panel and how to go about creating directories and all that would be great.

please contact me as soon as possible with any technical support you can give. I would gladly appreciate it

Thank you - **********

Our Tech. Department wrote him back :
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear **********,

Hello and greetings. Thank you for your e-mail.

AS per your questions, we do not provide any html editor at our control panel. However I can recommend you to download a HTML editor from http://www.download.com

Simply search for " Macromedia Dreamweaver ". Then download and install it on your hard drive. It has got all the documents with itself to let you know how you can create a html file, modify it, and etc.

Also, if you are interested, you can provide us with the pages/changes that you want to make on your web site, and we will be much happier to modify/change them for you.

Please advice.

Tech. Deparmtent
    Hostmatix.com

Client's e-mail to Tech. department - # 2
    Thank you for you quick response.

There is a few more questions.
    When I download the html editor, how will I be able to put the pages that I have created and edited into the control panel at my site (***********)

So are you saying I would create and edit a page with the software you told me to download, but how would I get the page from there to the inside of my control panel.

I will most likely will be asking for more of yoru help over the next two weeks. Thank you very much for you reply and if you can answer my question regarding moving the file from the software you recommend to my control panel, i would be greatful.

Thanks again!
    I look forward to your response

Our Tech. Department wrote him back :
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You do not need have to save your files into your control panel. Once you created the html files with " Dreamweaver " then you need to have a FTP client ( File Transfer Portocol ).

FTP (File Transfer Protocol) is a means by which you may transfer files from one computer to another. When you have an account with us, the two computers involved are your desktop and your Hostmatix web server.

In order to make use of your web hosting account with us you need to move your Web site files from your desktop to your Hostmatix web server so that your site will be displayed live on the Internet. This process is called "uploading" files. At some time, you might also want to retrieve Web site files from your account with us and put them on your desktop computer to retain a back up copy of your site, for example. This process is called "downloading" your files.

FTP is also referred to as a software program, as you will need to obtain an FTP client and install it on your desktop to upload and download files to your Hostmatix.com hosted Web site account.

You can download a FTP client called " WS FTP Pro " from http://www.download.com

Once you installed WS FTP client, you will be asked to input the following information:
    Hostname/IP : **********.com
    username : ******
    password : ******

Then simply you have to do some drags and drops, and your site is up and running :-)

I would highly recommend you to first download " Macromedia Dreamweaver " and read the documents which really helps you to learn these stuffs.

Yours,

Tech. Deparmtent
    Hostmatix.com

Client's e-mail to Tech. department - # 3
    I'm having alot of problems with most of the software I downloaded for the html editor I needed. I'm pressing for time to publish my next issue, I need the html editor as soon as possible and you don't provide that. I have no choice put to cancel my package with you, because I can not operate your control panel
    or html editor at your site and I need that. I don't have any more time to waist and I'm sorry for leaving so early in my package, but your control panel is much to advanced me, very difficult to work and does not have the main thing that i need to create my next issue.

Thank you for your help, but I can not operate my, manage my issues, or
    create them with your package or control panel.

If someone could contact me in regards to canceling my package and keeping the domain name, I would be greatful.

=========================================

**** What do you think ?

I appreciate any input.
    Last edited by Amir; 09-17-2002 at 10:57 PM.
    Amir Golestan
    Executive Director | Micfo
    datacenter facilities in 39 cities across the world | AS53889
    www.micfo.com/datacenter

LOLOLOL That is sad.

Re: Why some clients think you are responsible for everything related to their web site ?

Originally posted by HeadMaster
    I appreciate any input.
    Occasionally a client will come along who really has no experience with these things. Sometimes what is worse is a client who doesn't have the experience but thinks that they do. They have gotten hold of a few pieces of terminology and they're keen as mustard. In either case, you can only chip away with guidance and help like you have done so above (quite amicably). Do you run a forum? Invite them into your forum and ask that they post these more general questions there, so that others may benefit from the responses. Or if it is for a business site, you could recommend that they employ the services of a local developer to get them up and running.

But you have offered some good advice so far. Good luck with the outcome.

Regards

Gary

I'd refund him. You've done all that could be expected.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Gary & Robert,

I really appreciate your comments. At least with your comments I calmed down.

This is really bad when they think you are responsible for every single thing related to their web site !

We really wanted to help him, even a tech. staff asked him :

Also, if you are interested, you can provide us with the pages/changes that you want to make on your web site, and we will be much happier to modify/change them for you.

Anyways. These things happens quite often, we are the ones who got to educate some of our clients.

Have a wonderful day :-)
    Amir Golestan
    www.micfo.com/datacenter

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    Hello SoftWareRevue,

Of course we have refunded him as per his request. Sometimes having less kinda clients is much better than having hundreds of them, even paying you good.

Thanks for your comment SoftWareRevue.
    Amir Golestan
    www.micfo.com/datacenter

wow
    http://www.hostpc.com
    DirectAdmin servers for hosting, resellers and your dedicated needs.
    Hosting, Resellers, Dedicated Managed and Unmanaged servers
    Hosting since 11/98 - Specializing in DirectAdmin since 8/03

Yes, i agree.. you have done everything you could and although you may seem it as a waste, a refund would be proper.

I do appreciate that you walked this out with the guy/gal and that you didnt give up or throw in the towel. :-) However, i think i speak on behalf of every host here.. we all have clients like that. I just try to remember that one day when I was new. Eww.. bad day

Originally posted by ecpHosting

Yes, i agree.. you have done everything you could and although you may seem it as a waste, a refund would be proper.

I do appreciate that you walked this out with the guy/gal and that you didnt give up or throw in the towel. :-) However, i think i speak on behalf of every host here.. we all have clients like that. I just try to remember that one day when I was new. Eww.. bad day
    Absolutely right....

I'm sure most of the web hosting providers are having the same problem as I do. So we have to whether educate the clients in some way ( good to get some ideas about how to do it ) or simply refund them :-)

But also there's another problem... They will find WHT and will post a negative thread about you. " My Bad Experience with Hostmatix.com " BE AWARE !! LOOOL

Have a nice day my friends

PS: More inputs please. I'd like to your same experiences.
    Last edited by Amir; 09-11-2002 at 10:29 AM.
    Amir Golestan
    www.micfo.com/datacenter

But also there's another problem... They will find WHT and will post a negative thread about you.
    Those who have found WHT before them will generally understand these situations though. Nobody is in the wrong. Your client needs to learn or be taught, and that's not your ultimate responsibility. We all try to go an extra mile, but sometimes that wont be enough. It happens.

Regards

Gary

. . . . . . .But also there's another problem... They will find WHT and will post a negative threat about you. " My Bad Experience with Hostmatix.com " BE AWARE !! . . . . .
    This I don't agree with.
    Don't ever let the fear of negative publicity on WHT be the deciding factor on how you run your business.
    The members of this forum are far too intelligent to be swayed by unsubstantiated claims of poor service.
    I have seen, on several occasions, consumers post to bash a host; only to be told by our wise members that the problem was theirs and not the host.

In your example, the customer admittedly had no clue. And although I commend your efforts on trying to enlighten him; you would have been much better off recommending other services to him in the initial response. There are plenty of hosts that offer on-line editors that would have, obviously, better suited this client.

Your tech showed great patience though.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Hello,

Well... I do agree with both of you and have changed my mind. As you mentioned, there are far too intelligent business owners than can understand each another.

I can just imagine how I would become, if I was handling tech. support as a member of team.
    Amir Golestan
    www.micfo.com/datacenter

Occasionally a client will come along who really has no experience with these things. Sometimes what is worse is a client who doesn't have the experience but thinks that they do. They have gotten hold of a few pieces of terminology and they're keen as mustard.
    How true! I cringe everytime a potential customer calls and prefaces the conversation with, "I'm in the industry". Example the other day a guy said to me, "Hi I'm in the industry and I need some IPs". Are you an existing customer? "No". Are you on our network? "No." I don't know what industry you are in, but how can I sell you IP space?

Originally posted by the-admiral

How true! I cringe everytime a potential customer calls and prefaces the conversation with, "I'm in the industry". Example the other day a guy said to me, "Hi I'm in the industry and I need some IPs". Are you an existing customer? "No". Are you on our network? "No." I don't know what industry you are in, but how can I sell you IP space?
    You know what the scary thing is? They probably were 'in the industry'. I've talked with 'hosts' who don't know how to SSH into their servers. It's quite alarming.

HeadMaster your tech handled it well there will always be one or two come along you just have to hand hold as long as you can then let them go if they wish.

I had one client that did not know how to use front page, after 38 emails I finally got them to send the files to me I published the site and spent 2 hours fixing broken code, but then 2 days later get an email telling me the site was not working again. I looked at and they had uninstalled the FP extensions and then reinstalled them again wiping all I had done out.

I explained it all republished the site again, then to top it all after all this on the 28th day I get an email asking for the their money back under the 30 day warranty, which I gladly gave to get rid of em.

There is only so much you can do.

This I don't agree with.
    Don't ever let the fear of negative publicity on WHT be the deciding factor on how you run your business.
    The members of this forum are far too intelligent to be swayed by unsubstantiated claims of poor service.
    I have seen, on several occasions, consumers post to bash a host; only to be told by our wise members that the problem was theirs and not the host.

In your example, the customer admittedly had no clue. And although I commend your efforts on trying to enlighten him; you would have been much better off recommending other services to him in the initial response. There are plenty of hosts that offer on-line editors that would have, obviously, better suited this client.

Your tech showed great patience though.
    Hello,

Can you please recommend me the host that offer on-line editors that would have, obviously, better suited this client. So I can give some ideas to my valued client ( Even he left us already ) ?

Your response is highly appreciated in advance.
    Amir Golestan
    www.micfo.com/datacenter

Just do a search on google for "site builders" there are quite a number of them
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Monte,

It's sad to hear that.... You try your best to provide the best possible service they could ever get, and suddenly on the 28th day, you'll receive a refund request via e-mail.

However, I believe sometimes having less kinda clients is much better than having hundreds of them, even paying you good.

Wish you lucks with your business Monte.

Have a great day my friend :-)
    Amir Golestan
    www.micfo.com/datacenter

Originally posted by net-trend
    Just do a search on google for "site builders" there are quite a number of them
    Dear friend,

I simply meant " A hosting provider that offers site builder along with their standard features. "

Any idea ?
    Amir Golestan
    www.micfo.com/datacenter

Even a host with a site builder I am afraid after reading that exchange, would be pulling their hair out with HeadMasters former client.

Set a limit. Like Rack Shack. I would never let our support dept. do this. You do it once, you do it a hundred times. Guaranteed, this person would be back asking the same questions and 'demanding' the same support. If you are not set on what you and your support staff will do, this happens:

I had one client that did not know how to use front page, after 38 emails I finally got them to send the files to me I published the site and spent 2 hours fixing broken code, but then 2 days later get an email telling me the site was not working again. I looked at and they had uninstalled the FP extensions and then reinstalled them again wiping all I had done out.

I explained it all republished the site again, then to top it all after all this on the 28th day I get an email asking for the their money back under the 30 day warranty, which I gladly gave to get rid of em.

I'd say you've done a fantastic job of supporting him, probably better than me when I did support (well, maybe just as good :p)

This isn't rare at all. At least he could formulate a complete sentence.

I have a customer. English speaking, educated and very well spoken in person, however, His e-mails are jibberish. Really. I spend most of my time trying to figure out what he's talking about.

Example:
    Damn it. 1,2,3,4,5 and a lot of Jpg.s before I jumped out and we emailed each other about forwarding to a Cpanel .

It's not a big deal I just have to spend about another 5 hours rebulding it.
    This is the entire e-mail. Out of the blue. No previous conversation.

How am I supposed to reply to something like this?

Aaron
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

Originally posted by Monte
    Even a host with a site builder I am afraid after reading that exchange, would be pulling their hair out with HeadMasters former client.
    I agree....

But there are also lots of hosts around which are looking for few bucks per customer, they don't care whether their client is happy with their customer/technical support or not.
    Amir Golestan
    www.micfo.com/datacenter

Originally posted by UmBillyCord

Set a limit. Like Rack Shack. I would never let our support dept. do this. You do it once, you do it a hundred times. Guaranteed, this person would be back asking the same questions and 'demanding' the same support. If you are not set on what you and your support staff will do, this happens:
    While I agree with your premise, as a small host you have to bend over backwards for your customers. The vast majority will never take advantage of you for it either. There will always be that 1 or 2 % come along that will and when that happens you go as far as you can then say no more.

Dunno it is just not in my blood to do as RachShack does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast