hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Specialty Hosting and Markets : Is there a market for Private SOCKS5?

Forum Jump

Is there a market for Private SOCKS5?

Reply Post New Thread In Specialty Hosting and Markets Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 06:45 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Hi everyone, I'm getting my new server ready to be launched in a couple of weeks and i was thinking of a few things that i could do to use up some of the spare resources while making a profit and providing a service at the same time. The big question i have is, is there a market for providing Private SOCKS5 connections for a nominal fee? if so what are the normal price brackets for bandwidth, speed, and number of users per server? Any help at all would be great!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2008, 05:03 PM
ExpertColocation

I would watch out. If you provide that service, users may use your IP space to do some bad things online. You could end up getting a lot of abuse complaints, which you have to factor in when coming up with a price.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Web Hosting Master

I do not think there is a big market for it simply because of the potential problems for abuse. While there are plenty of legitimate uses for it I would imagine more people then not would be using it to potentially break the law.
You need to look at the cpu usage of whatever SOCKS program you are using and how you are going to track bandwidth. In terms of prices, you have to figure out if you are going to oversell or not then go from there.

Sponsored Links

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Liquid Web Launches Storm Private Cloud Web Hosting News 2013-11-22 13:42:02
Private Cloud Adoption Expected to Reach $69B in Revenue by 2018 Web Hosting News 2013-11-18 11:06:25
UKFast to Launch Elastic Virtual Private Cloud Service Web Hosting News 2013-06-06 11:11:44
Private Equity Firms Acquire BMC Software for $6.9 Billion Web Hosting News 2013-05-06 16:39:57
Hosted Private Cloud Spending to Reach $24B in 2016: IDC Report Web Hosting News 2013-02-28 11:54:51