Angry GoDaddy Domain Transfer Fraud

Someone tell me what is wrong with this picture:

I own almost 200 domains and have them scattered around at numerious registars. (No, they arent for sale). I have most of my domains at GoDaddy. I have a handful of them at HitDomains.com and now recently I have begun registering domains at Dotster.

HitDomains charges $11.00 a year for domains, Doster charges $14.95 and GoDaddy charges $8.95.

I go to www.godaddy.com to transfer one of my domains to them away from www.hitdomains.com because Hit Domains is more expensive and thier support is less than desireable. So I whip out the 'old Visa Corprate Card, and fill out all the forms to get the transfer underway.

Then I sign into my GoDaddy account and see that the transfer of my domain has failed. It looks like the remote registry (Interwise, dba ItsYourDomain.com aka HitDomains.com) had refused the transfer and my credit card had already been charged. No big deal, I will get a refund in a few days, I will figure out what went wrong with the transfer, fix it and try again, right? Wrong.

Turns out that GoDaddy bills your card as soon as you submit the transfer request, and your fee is NON REFUNDABLE, even if THEY fail to transfer the domains. I thought "OK, well maybe thats only if the customer is stupid and puts the transfer request in wrong" Nope. If they cant transfer the domain, they charge you and you get nothing. When you transfer a domain, you automatically get another year added on, so its like a renewal. I didnt get that either.

Well, I called thier billing people and yelled about this. I was told that no matter what, I would not be getting a refund. I was really getting pissed off, so I said "Fine. I will call Visa and dispute the charge. You can give me my $8.95 back and pay your processor a chargeback fee too." The rep I was talking to hung up on me (probably because I was yelling like a spoiled child who was just denied an extra cookie -- do you blame me).

So they have my money and I didnt get the service I paid for... but not for long. So I called the bank and did the chargeback.

So this morning, I tried to sign into my GoDaddy account and renew another domain that was about to expire. I went through all the forms, and guess what? It said "Your account has been locked. Please contact support for assistance". This really got me going. I could have bitten someone's head off.

I called them, and they said that they locked my account because I had defrauded them by charging my card back. "You can still change the name servers and contact information, but we locked your account to prevent any further losses. You cant register or renew any additional domains here." I was told.

So basically, I cant register any new domains, I cant renew them and they dont care. So I decided to take my business elsewhere.

I have transfered some domains over to my DotSter account from Hitdomains.com and they dont charge me until the transfer is completed and I have been very happy with them. So today, I transfered all 173 of the domains I have with GoDaddy to Dotster.

What happened next was intresting. I got a telephone call from GoDaddy's security goons and they wanted to "inform me that someone may have made an authorized attempt to hijack all of my domains". I explained to the kid that I am transfering all of my domains to a company that values my business more than they do. I was shocked that anyone even noticed my actions.

Why am I telling you all of this? So that you are aware of the little fraud that GoDaddy is pulling over on thier customers. If you use this registrar, watch out!
      0 Not allowed!

I use GoDaddy, and like the service never had to transfer a domain though.

I'm sorry to hear about your plight I am definetly not transferring any domaiins to GoDaddy unless I hear otherwise.

Thanks
    Sam C
    Blue Dog Hosting
    http://www.bluedoghosting.com
    "Your new best friend!"
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the insight
      0 Not allowed!

I should add that I am happy with thier service except for this little, tiny, one-time occurance of fraud. Thier domains are cheap and simple, but I am working to consolidate all of my domains into one registrar, and so far Dotster has won me over. Thier admin panel is quick and it works logically. Plus, I like the fact that the system confirms every step of the transfer and keeps me in the loop.
      0 Not allowed!

Don't want to sound harsh, cause it's happened to me before too ( I dont use godaddy any more)

but godaddy charges for the attempt to transfer, if the old registrar denies it, it's not Godaddy's fault...if you read the terms, you'd see the point highlighted...because of this, good luck getting visa to chargeback...
      0 Not allowed!

What has this got to do with Webhosting? Wrong forum

<<MOD NOTE: Thread moved>>
    Last edited by Chicken; 09-11-2002 at 12:24 AM.
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!
      0 Not allowed!

What has this got to do with Webhosting?
    This is in the webhosting forum because webhosts and people who have thier sites hosted usually use domains and should know about the frauds that various registrars commit. Why do we talk about 2checkout, Revcomm, Paypal and all of those people here?

They can print whatever the hell they want on thier website, enact whatever policies they want and say that there are "no refunds" all they want.

The fact remains that if you pay for a service and then do not recive it, (dosent matter if it is highlighted) that is fraud. I won the visa chargeback today, the bank sided with me (they had better, or I will get another bank and choke off the $25,000+ a month in wires they are allowed to process for me.) I am sure they are keenly aware of that fact too, I remineded them of it a couple of times.

Thats the definition of fraud: Not getting a product or service I paid for.

I dont care whose fault it is. The fact is that I paid for a service (domain transfer), was charged and did not recive the service. Thats all that matters. Regardless of whose fault it is, if they put forth a "good effort" or whatever.

Trying isnt good enough. Sucess is what I pay for. Anything less...
      0 Not allowed!

I don't see it as fraud. As akash pointed out; it's their terms that you agreed to.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

congrats on the chargeback...but to be fair to godaddy, it isn't fraud....

they provided their service as outlined in their terms...they attempted a transfer and the old registrar denied it...not godaddy's fault so you shouldn't blame them
      0 Not allowed!

I agree.
    Trying isnt good enough. Sucess is what I pay for. Anything less...
    On the other hand, when I had to transfer a domain to get more control over my nameservers than NameSecure allows, I chose 000domains. I knew that I would be charged $4.50 just for them to try . . .
    but I emailed NameSecure a scathing letter about how unsatisfied I was that it took over a month to change my name servers IPs. I also let them know I was transferring the domains, and if they gave me any crap or tried to stop me, I mould move ALL of my domains from them.
    The transfer went through on the first try.
    Sometimes you have to remind people what business they are in.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."
      0 Not allowed!

We only need to read and if ever the transfer didn't came out to what you expected.. blame the other domain company which denied the transfer. Maybe they don't want to let you go. They will lose you. Don't blame godaddy. My domain transfer a year ago from joker.com to godaddy is as easy as i expected.

Good luck.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    it's their terms that you agreed to.
    I don't know of any other registrar that has stupid terms like this.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Dylan

I don't know of any other registrar that has stupid terms like this.
    a lot of registrars used to do this, with godaddy being the last to change it (just recently they made their transfers "risk free")
      0 Not allowed!

I don't want to appear evil...but how about if the registrars have a 'special' agreement between them...Registrar 1 says...I get the x money for the transfer....you Registrar 2 deny the transfer and I'll give you the a% of the x. Registrar 2 also gets the renewal of the domain as the customer...won't easily try to transfer it again and risk other x money. Registrar 1 gets x - a% of x and Registrar 2 gets a% + Renewal fees. Sounds great deal to me if we consider some thousands of transfers.

The customer of course pays x for a denied transfer (to registrar 1) + the renewal fees (to registrar 2). Sounds a really unfair deal for us (customers).

But that might be just my evil mind.
      0 Not allowed!

kkimmel thanks for that,

looks like i will only register domain names and not transfer if this is the way godaddy works...
    Western Man
      0 Not allowed!

Doesnt sound like fraud and seems like you were being a pain in the Bleep

I make sure to let some time pass between being pissed off and dealing with someone
      0 Not allowed!

Good lord if enom did that to me I'd go broke! I sometimes have to try a transfer 4 or 5 times before it goes through!
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck
      0 Not allowed!

I use them with no problem.
    Plus, they are right up the street from me..............
    Here is their terms:
    "Follow these five easy steps and transfer your domain name to Go Daddy, absolutely risk-free. You'll extend your existing registration for an additional year and you will not lose any time you've already paid for. And now, if your transfer fails for any reason, we'll refund your fee, no questions asked. You will not lose any time you've already paid for."

I have found out from my short 52 years, that sometimes the way we talk to people will decide how things turn out.
    Anyway, good-luck............
      0 Not allowed!

I've had transfers fail with GoDady and they're always happy to help out. I've had to try 2 or 3 times and they've always only charged me once.

Aaron
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net
      0 Not allowed!

I have found out from my short 52 years, that sometimes the way we talk to people will decide how things turn out.
    I totally agree with this.

When i recently tried moving a domain to godaddy, I noticed it was taking a bit longer than usual. I fired off this simple email to godaddy:
    The administrative contact (me) has not been contacted yet. Please advise.
    Shortly after i got this back:
    The information below is what is listed for your domain at NamesDirect.com. To complete a transfer to Go Daddy, you must have a valid name for the registrant, and Flarf.com has n/a listed for the name. Please correct this with NamesDirect.com and return to the Go Daddy website to transfer the domain again.
    Since I had made myself familiar with godaddy's terms, I knew I would probably have to pay for another transfer attempt (but hey, no big deal. it's like 8 bucks). Plus, the failure was my fault for not having a registrant name entered in my whois info. I emailed back and asked if I would have to pay for the transfer again, and the representative let me know that he had refunded my charge and told me to try the process again.

After reading this thread, something tells me that the outcome would have been different if I had called godaddy to yell about it like a child.

I did support for a hosting company before, and it's true. If i got screamed at and verbally abused, do you think I was going to follow up on the case and ensure it gets resolved? Do you think i would care? Nopers.
      0 Not allowed!

I used to try the nice guy approach first. But it never works, and people think they can take advantage of you if you are nice to them. Sad, but true. Nice guys finish last.
      0 Not allowed!

I just transfered 14 accounts to godaddy....several didn't go thru the first time, some didn't go thru the second or third time..when all was said and done, two never went thru, and godaddy offered to either refund the money, or extend domain renewal periods on whatever domain I wanted with the funds. Never had a problem with them, I have always been treated politely, and never been talked down to by them. Maybe it's because I have good tires on, and can handle the little bumps in the road with grace. Sorry to hear you had such a problem with them, I hope you will be happier where you decided to move your domains to.

<edit> I especially love the new feature: Make your domain information private! Proxy service. </edit>
    Last edited by RH Robert; 09-10-2002 at 11:53 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

I guess I am confused.

I have transferred many domains into Go Daddy even before they were risk free.

I have had trouble as some registrars mask your email with a fake email.

Go Daddy reports the reject to me, I contact the old registrar to disable that "feature" and then Go Daddy does it again. No problem.

Why didn't you redo the transfer?
      0 Not allowed!

another satisfied customer...

kkimmel stated: I used to try the nice guy approach first. But it never works, and people think they can take advantage of you if you are nice to them. Sad, but true. Nice guys finish last.
    ...my sympathies... sounds like you've been stomped on once too often... personally, i'd rather be a nice guy and "lose" than be a blankety blank who's "king of the hill".... bittnerness has its own way of biting back...

...i have approximately 150 domains registered at godaddy through several different accounts... 50 personal domains through my personal account, and the rest set up for my hosting clients, who leave it up to me to register, renew and transfer domains for them...

...i migrated over time... first transferring from network solutions (verisign), to dotster and finally godaddy... there are still about a dozen domains at three separate accounts left with dotster, and as soon as they come up for renewal, i transfer them to godaddy...

...recently, while transferring one of my client's domains from dotster to godaddy, i had a problem at dotster's end... it was about 3 in the morning... i called dotster (ever tried calling dotster? they don't make their number easy to find... i had to get it from the whois)... anyway, got an answering machine...

...i then hung up and called godaddy to ask advice, and was connected with a tech after about a ten minute wait (a small price to pay for live phone support at 3 AM) ... the advice was friendly and helpful...

...initially the transfer failed... i was told the reason ...at the dotster account i had to correct an email address that had an "s" missing at the end of the domain name... i was advised to let the tech cancel the charge, while I make the correction at dotster, then try the transfer again... if successful, i was assured only the second charge would appear on my account history, and that's exactly what happened...

...as stated in other posts here, godaddy's policy is "no risk", and has been for some time now... you might try calling in an apology if you want to return to the best registrar out there... i'd bet they would forgive you, because in reality, nice guys don't really finish last...
    Mothers of the world unite! Spank your sons and make them quit fighting...
      0 Not allowed!

Thumbs up

in reality, nice guys don't really finish last
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by akash
    congrats on the chargeback...but to be fair to godaddy, it isn't fraud....

they provided their service as outlined in their terms...they attempted a transfer and the old registrar denied it...not godaddy's fault so you shouldn't blame them
    GoDaddy admitted to having some software problems about a month ago. I transferred two domains from GoDaddy recently and it was tough. The domain manager was not operating correctly (locking and unlocking). I never locked these domains and the domain manager did not indicate "locked". When I tried to transfer out I was denied several times. I called GoDaddy tech support several times (long phone waits then) and they said there was no lock. After a week or so I decided to email Bob Parsons and copy other parties, including the incoming registrar. Then there was action and a new tech arrived on the scene and I told him my issue. The new tech indicated that the "not locked" comment by the other techs was not true. He went on to say that the billing system had locks set separately from the domain manager software. That day they were having developers work of correcting that issue and the domain lock indicator in the domain manager. After that, everything was fine.
    intellec
    ....you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get....
      0 Not allowed!

fyi - BulkRegister does give you a credit back for any failed transfer. Check 'em out - even with the membership fee - I find the system easy to use and their support good. I have been with them a while. I recommend them.
      0 Not allowed!

To bad with your bad experience with godaddy. I have bought several domains with them and have always been satisfied with their service. I actually considered signing up with them as a reseller - but that did make me think twice. I want honest business. They should refund you your money.

John
      0 Not allowed!

ICANN and registrars problems..

Hello kkimmel

1- take a look at this:

http://www.internic.net/cgi/registra...lem-report.cgi

2- I have transfered all my domains from NSI to BulkRegister within 3 days without any problem..

BulkRegister are eazy to use and their support is not bad..

good luck
      0 Not allowed!

true br is ok, but i hate not being able to let clients change their info.. i think opensrs is the first and best private label domain registration system... enom comes in second
      0 Not allowed!

Kkimmel, being polite and admitting the truth (you insist GoDaddy commited fraud) - even when you were wrong (they did not) - will get you places. Bitching (when you called GoDaddy) and insisting that false facts are true (again, GoDaddy did not commit fraud) will not. There are occasions where you'll be right to give up being polite, like with scammers, but GoDaddy isn't a scam.

Edit: Sorry about all the parentheses, when I read the above paragraph my face looked just like
      0 Not allowed!

I agree. Godaddy makes is very clear that the fee is for the attempt to transfer. They tell you to make sure there are no locks on the domain, that the domain isn't due to expire soon, that there was no activity in the past 60 days on that domain, etc.

Then, I think they would also give you 30 days to straighten it out if the denial happened. So it's not $x fee for each transfer attempt. It's $x for each transfer attempt for each domain for a month.

So if there was a reason for the denial on the present registrar's side, they still give you 30 days to try again. It's a button on the control panel 'Attempt transfer again' or something like that.

Not to get down on you, but it sounds like you are a hothead and called a bluff on Godaddy, they called you on it, you then thought you had the upper hand and attempted a chargeback. Now the account is locked. How much time are you going to have to burn to transfer everything elsewhere now.

How much is your time worth?

Next time, politely ask the phone tech, 'what would you suggest is my best, next option?'. They would have told you to try the transfer again in a few days...

Sorry it didn't work out for you though, sounds like a mess.

-WC-
      0 Not allowed!

FRAUD????? Come on.....

Go Daddy should not be held liable should the old registrar fail the transfer. The way Go Daddy had it; it took resources to process this stuff which must be compensated for.

At this time Go Daddy does offer risk free transfers, which does charge you but is promptly refunded should the transfer fail, (at which point fingers should be pointed to the losing registrar).
      0 Not allowed!