* Need help choosing right bandwidth for new hosting startup

Hi, I'm 16 and starting a web hosting company. I have a great server (way more power than I need) but I got it cheap from a dead datacenter.

I would like to know what kind of bandwidth I need (upstream) in order to serve maybe 10-25 clients. For right now this company will be small, until I can afford more servers and maybe a better net connection. I have almost no money to start, so I am trying to be as resourceful as possible.

What kind of upstream is needed? (in kilobits please)

-godsmoke

That's a really hard question to answer because its difficult to know what kinds of clients you're catering to.

I do know that many companies start out with something like a 128kbit or 256kbit and go from there tho.

Alternatively, look around for someone who sells by the GB, and look for somewhere in the 25-50GB range.

Cya,
    Cloak

Originally posted by cloak
    That's a really hard question to answer because its difficult to know what kinds of clients you're catering to.

I do know that many companies start out with something like a 128kbit or 256kbit and go from there tho.

Alternatively, look around for someone who sells by the GB, and look for somewhere in the 25-50GB range.

Cya,
    Cloak
    Thank you for the reply!
    Just to confirm, you are saying 128 - 256 kbit, but that is 12KB to 25 KB download, aren't many people going to be angry at such slow download speeds?

My clients should be pretty low bandwidth users, but I'll have to see.

What do you mean "someone who sells by the GB", do you mean web hosting transfer? or do you mean some type of ISP?

thanks,
    godsmoke

By the gigabyte would be something like you have a full burstable line, but when you get to, say 25GB, you get billed for more over that.

Alternatively, it could work the same with a 256kbit connection, you're not necessarily limited to that, but your average usage will be billed at that, again, if you go over that, you would get billed more.

(Now granted, you might run across a situation where a host actually limits you to exactly that bandwidth, but that would prove mostly useless to you, and I wouldn't generally go with something like that.)

Cya,
    Cloak

well don't laugh or anything, but right now I will be hosting with my Speakeasy account ... hosting is completely alright with speakeasy, they say so in their tos.

as of now I have a 128 upload on my connection, but I'm seriously considering an upgrade to a line that has a 768kbit upload, essentially allowing me to host many more people (with about a 75 KB upload speed -- enough for about 15 56k users on at the same time ... with full speed.

-godsmoke

Nothing wrong with that, we hosted on 1.54mb sdsl for shells and web hosting for 2.5 years before we upgraded to our T1.

Its a great way to start out if your TOS and AUP allow for it, and you learn a LOT by having the server local to you.

I would suggest getting yourself familiarized with firewalling your box ASAP, as hosting on accounts like that get you 1) scanned *a lot*, which subsequently leads to 2) lots of attempted break ins.

Have fun. If you have questions, feel free to ask away, if I can help, I will, if not, I'm always happy to say I've no idea.

Cya,
    Cloak