WHM Disk Usage Problem

This is my first server with WHM. I'm pretty much lost, unfortunately. Not totally, I know enough to be able to really mess up the server - but not enough to fix it if I do

I am supposed to have a main SCSI 36 GB drive, and a secondary IDE drive installed for backups.

First problem I have is that it's telling me I'm using 90% in service status for Disk sda2 (/usr)

The total amount of files on there should only be like 500 megs total, including the database.

How can I:

1) See if there is actually 2 disks installed
    2) make sure I don't run out of allocated space
    3) setup the automatic backup of my database on the scsi main drive to the eide secondary?
    Last edited by Garrett; 09-10-2002 at 03:52 PM.
    *noobie on the loose*

Contact your host, maybe the installation is screwed up.

To find out about the installed disks click on "Server Information" right under "Server Status", under "Current Disk Usage" it will list all your file systems.
    Everything beginning with sd is a SCSI disk, everything with hd an IDE. It should show sda (SCSI disk A) and hda (IDE disk A).
    Or type "df -h" on the command line.

If you want to find out what is using your space login, change to a directory (e.g. "cd /home") and type "du -h --max-depth=1". This will show you a list of directories and the space these are using

Thanks for the fast reply Walter. Here's the info from df -h:
    Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda6 ext3 1008M 129M 828M 14% /
    /dev/sda1 ext3 34M 17M 15M 52% /boot
    /dev/sda8 ext3 24G 1.1G 22G 5% /home
    none tmpfs 1006M 0 1006M 0% /dev/shm
    /dev/sda7 ext3 248M 4.9M 230M 3% /tmp
    /dev/sda2 ext3 3.9G 3.4G 405M 90% /usr
    /dev/sda3 ext3 2.0G 319M 1.5G 17% /var
    /dev/hdc1 ext3 38G 33M 35G 1% /backup

So, it looks like there is both a SCSI and EIDE. But the sda2 is at 90% - this seems a little scary....

Is that the swap files or something? Seems awfully large - I ahve 2 GB ram installed...

Originally posted by Walter
    Contact your host, maybe the installation is screwed up.

To find out about the installed disks click on "Server Information" right under "Server Status", under "Current Disk Usage" it will list all your file systems.
    Everything beginning with sd is a SCSI disk, everything with hd an IDE. It should show sda (SCSI disk A) and hda (IDE disk A).
    Or type "df -h" on the command line.

If you want to find out what is using your space login, change to a directory (e.g. "cd /home") and type "du -h --max-depth=1". This will show you a list of directories and the space these are using
    *noobie on the loose*

Generally you're going to have programs and the like installed in /usr

However, on most installations, mysql databases are kept there as well.

Unless you're running a lot of databases that will fill up quickly, I wouldn't worry *too* much about it. You have abotu 400Mb of space left in there.

The other likelyhood is that all the source tarballs are left in somewhere like /usr/local/src you may want to go poking around and see what is in there. You'll see things like .tar.gz or .tgz in there. The linux src might also be left in something like /usr/src

See if that helps you out any, the tarballs will be safe to erase, anything else I wouldn't do, possibly ask your host about it.

Cya,
    Cloak

Hmm, thanks for the quick reply cloak

See, that's what I'm worried about - the one MySQL database gets about 10 megs per day added to it...

I found the offending file - it's a 2 GB server log in the apache dir

I thought it would have some sort of logrotation installed... should I set one up? Or, is there a way to check and see if one exists ?

Originally posted by cloak
    Generally you're going to have programs and the like installed in /usr

However, on most installations, mysql databases are kept there as well.

Unless you're running a lot of databases that will fill up quickly, I wouldn't worry *too* much about it. You have abotu 400Mb of space left in there.

The other likelyhood is that all the source tarballs are left in somewhere like /usr/local/src you may want to go poking around and see what is in there. You'll see things like .tar.gz or .tgz in there. The linux src might also be left in something like /usr/src

See if that helps you out any, the tarballs will be safe to erase, anything else I wouldn't do, possibly ask your host about it.

Cya,
    Cloak
    *noobie on the loose*

I generally write up my own scripts for stuff like that, and tend to use rar.

Worst case, check out the server command 'logrotate' (man logrotate to find out about it). That will also do what you want.

It will cut down nicely so you can pull it off the server if you'd like. Even if you compress it and leave it on the server, you will save tons of space.

Cya,
    Cloak

Thanks again for the reply. I am completely lame. Trying to figure out logrotate is too much. I wasn't able to figure out how to use it using man logrotate.

Can anyone post a command line that would work? I tried a lot of things that didn't return errors, but none of them did anything to the 2.5 GB log file. It's growing super fast now I am down to 5% disk space left.

I don't want to compress it, I just want to set it up to rotate for 7 days worth of logs (or 14). After the 14th day, it overwrites the logfile.

I have redhad linux (I think).
    *noobie on the loose*