Ideal linux workstation

What is your ideal linux workstation?

Including OS, Office software, internet browser, xwindows brand (kde or gnome etc), any html editors, basically whatever you have found be the best configuration.

Re: Ideal linux workstation

Originally posted by goodness0001

Including OS, Office software, internet browser, xwindows brand (kde or gnome etc), any html editors, basically whatever you have found be the best configuration.
    FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE (I know it says Linux, but Linux has too much bloat I can live without)
    Mozilla (browser)
    XFree86 running WindowMaker
    Ogle (a DVD player with menu support)
    wmapm (battery monitoring applet)

Actually, that's what I'm running on my laptop right now. I'll probably install AbiWord this weekend if I have time.
    -Mooneer
    Thoughtbug Software: Hosting shouldn't require any thought.
    Legitimate host? Support the Code of Ethical Conduct

Re: Ideal linux workstation

Originally posted by goodness0001

gentoo, LateX, mozilla, WindowMaker, emacs.

I have installed mandrake, and didnt really like it, i also installed gentoo, and it was ok, but it was a bit tedious to get X functioning right especially on a laptop. Now i have redhat 7.3 running and it is alright but the install of redhat always wants to put 1.5 GB of crap on my computer, 99.99% of the things i will never use. Openoffice has never worked right either, but i have never took the time to figure it out.

gentoo linux
    mozilla
    openoffice
    vim
    evolution
    gkrellm

Goodness, if you do not want the 1.5 of software that Red Hat installed you could have done a custom install and selected the software of choice.

Now that you have Red Hat installed and if you want to get rid of all those packages, simply use the rpm tool to uninstall them.

man rpm

for more information.