Server monitoring service

Hi,

What kind of server monitoring services are there available, and are there good systems to keep an eye on your server for free? And do you know a system which sends a SMS when an error occurs?

Thank you in advance,

Jacco

In addition to our internal monitoring of all services, we use websitepulse.com for offsite monitoring. Cheap and good.
    John Masterson
    Former Hosting Company Owner

Theres one popular one around here, forgot the name, searching should find it, they didnt support numerical pagers, so I didnt use em. I did it from my cable, BIG mistake, got notified when it wasent really down, just when the cable went down. I got notified about twice a day
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

www.alertra.com is a good one!! Not free but has a 30 day trial and can send you an SMS.

I am currently just using one of the free services which send you an e-mail in combination with this PHP script . Works great!!
    Regards,
    Ronan
    Pairone Networks Ltd
    Cloud Hosting @www.pair1.ie

Why don't you just set up your own?

I use netsaint (soon to be Nagios). You can write custom scripts and all. It has escalations, can send message via sms email or pager. I know some guys have even used it to measure and regulate temperature in server rooms. You can also write even handlers to fix errors when they are detected. I love it.

I used to work at SiteRock and they would charge thousands for this. Pretty funny cause it's open source. Check it out, the user list is pretty awesome too. Lot's of bright folks are in it.

I strongly recomend this

any which will sms within in the uk?

Netsaint will sms anywhere really, it's not a service but an open source application. It would be up to you to set it up. Has saved my but

Check it out at sourceforge.net

All you need is a linux box.

Regards,

Originally posted by denisdekat
    Why don't you just set up your own?

I use netsaint (soon to be Nagios). You can write custom scripts and all. It has escalations, can send message via sms email or pager. I know some guys have even used it to measure and regulate temperature in server rooms. You can also write even handlers to fix errors when they are detected. I love it.

I used to work at SiteRock and they would charge thousands for this. Pretty funny cause it's open source. Check it out, the user list is pretty awesome too. Lot's of bright folks are in it.

I strongly recomend this
    Can you give the link of the products you talk about here?

Jacco

Netsaint can be found at http://netsaint.org/

This site has a link to the new Nagios version coming out (in beta, I have not ried it yet)

BTW, sourceforge.net has a page on this as well. http://netsaint.sourceforge.net/

I have been using this app for over 2 years, and watching it mature. Very cool. If you are really geeky, you can map out the network and your servers (which is fun). You can have service and host dependancy so if a router goes down, netsaint is smart enough not to email you nor sms you for every host underneath that.

On a personal (experience) note, I have some Virtual servers for some of our resellers, and when their severs get near quota it either emails them or flushes/rotates logs for them. I have written numerous plugins that work for me using perl. The program is great Saving me lot's of support work. Actually, I have a bunch of monitors and eventhandlers doing work for me. Which gives me more time topost things in forums like this one.

Regards and I hope you enjoy this app

You may want to check out SIM which can keep your services running. It is easy to install and use.

www.r-fx.net is the link to get it.

We currently use www.alertra.com and have been for some time now. We find them very accurate and reliable. They are not free, but depending on your configuration and monitoring periods they can be pretty cheap.