Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VPS IRC?

MrGeneral Guest
    Dear WHT'ers,
    What do you guys recomend for:
    128 mb vps, 2gb hdd (max) vps for irc only?
    I want a really cheap one, and decent network
    It's only to run 3 bots, wont be a target to any DDoS.
    Regards

Yeah... good luck finding something like that with a reputable host. 99% of them disallow IRC and everything that connects to IRC such as bots, bnc's etc.
    Let me know if you find a good host for this.

Dear WHT'ers,
    What do you guys recomend for:
    128 mb vps, 2gb hdd (max) vps for irc only?
    I want a really cheap one, and decent network
    It's only to run 3 bots, wont be a target to any DDoS.
    Regards
    www.rapidxen.net might do it for you.

MrGeneral Guest
    Yeah... good luck finding something like that with a reputable host. 99% of them disallow IRC and everything that connects to IRC such as bots, bnc's etc.
    Let me know if you find a good host for this.
    Actually, there are quite a few
    But I will search about this

I use BigVPS for my irc needs

BigVPS is great. Ray runs a fantastic operation. I highly recommend them, budget permitting.

MrGeneral Guest
    www.rapidxen.net (http://www.rapidxen.net) might do it for you.
    Thanks Dougy, i'll be looking at them

MrGeneral Guest
    20$ is kinda too much for what I need.
    but ill go for rapidxen like Dougy said
    Thanks your help guys

Why not buy a smaller IRC shell from say outlandz and then host your bots on a $4 shell instead of a VPS - opening up more time consuming activities.

MrGeneral Guest
    Why not buy a smaller IRC shell from say outlandz and then host your bots on a $4 shell instead of a VPS - opening up more time consuming activities.
    Heh I need some custom modules, and I prefer to have control over the server .
    But thanks for your suggestion

try frantech. their vps 128 just 10usd/m

Little offtopic, but what is with companies and not allowing IRC? It's not like its the plague or anything.

Little offtopic, but what is with companies and not allowing IRC? It's not like its the plague or anything.
    Hi there,
    The biggest issue is that a lot of VPS providers use 100mbit uplinks to switches which can be flooded easily enough, or are in a location without any sort of filtering. We allow IRC but do warn users that it must be kept quiet - READ: don't go running on efnet claiming you're unstoppable.
    To date we've only had 1 flood related to IRC and, at least i'm assuming, steadfast's riorey's kicked in within a minute or so and cleaned house.
    Thanks,
    ~Francisco

IRC is a huge DDoS magnet.

Indeed, IRC has become a huge DDoS magnet and thats why alot of providers dont allow IRC hosting.

MrGeneral Guest
    Thanks for all your suggestions folks, still investigating them When I get ready I'll order.
    Regards

If your bandwidth usage is low, IRC won't be a problem at most hosts. Just let them know its light usage and you're not into warez.

IRC is a huge DDoS magnet.
    I don't agree with the statement that IRC is a huge DDoS magnet. The SystemInPlace (e.g. RapidXen) network has only been DDoSed 4 times in the last year.
    I think stupid customers doing stupid things are the main DDoS magnet. Most of the DDoS incidents I have dealt with in the last 3 years were provoked by customers taunting script kiddies (not a wise move).
    IRC is not the only place where script kiddies lurk. A fairly large portion of the DDoS incidents were UDP floods against UDP port 27590, which is either the Source engine gameserver port or the Quake3 engine gameserver port, I forget which.

20$ is kinda too much for what I need.
    but ill go for rapidxen like Dougy said
    Thanks your help guys
    BigVPS's WHT pricing for the 256MB VPS is actually only $13/mth, not $20. You do give up the offsite FTP backup, though ($3/mth extra when using WHT deal).
    RapidXen's site is completely down right now despite the host being reachable via traceroute... Not a good first impression.
    Then again, BigVPS is currently doing network maintenance on their CRM system, so you'd have to order manually through Ray.

Heh. Not all IRC, just the stupid people who go on and piss off the skiddies

RapidXen's site is completely down right now despite the host being reachable via traceroute... Not a good first impression.
    Our site seems to be up and running to me, but we did have an apache worker process that went zombie. I've gone ahead and restarted apache.

Seems that was it; I'm seeing it correctly now.
    I guess this is about where I scoff at Apache and evangelize Lighttpd?

MrGeneral Guest
    BigVPS's WHT pricing for the 256MB VPS is actually only $13/mth, not $20. You do give up the offsite FTP backup, though ($3/mth extra when using WHT deal).
    Then again, BigVPS is currently doing network maintenance on their CRM system, so you'd have to order manually through Ray.
    Heh, thank you I already got a provider let's see how it goes

MrGeneral Guest
    Our site seems to be up and running to me, but we did have an apache worker process that went zombie. I've gone ahead and restarted apache.
    Yep it was full up to me yesterday .
    I joined nenolod services, let's see how it goes.
    (mrgeneral)
    Regards

mrwumpus Guest
    SuperBytes allows IRC and their are pretty cheap to

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast