Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    will_hostirian Guest
    This post is for all you WebHosting Companies:
    What percentage of control panels do customers order?
    C-Panel
    Plesk
    Direct Admin
    Other
    None
    just add %# next to the panel.
    Thanks a bunch for those who reply!

cPanel is the 800lb gorilla on the market. For some bizarre reasons customers feel married to bloatware and providers feel that not providing it is a kiss of death despite the fact that cPanel itself is a resource pig and has some very bizarre behaviors when it comes to updating software.
    I haven't touched Plesk in 4 years so I'll reserve judgement other than it used to be a tangled mess of suck back during the 7.0 and Reloaded days.
    I use DA on two servers I sell/give hosting on only because it's stupi-fies server management for the un-learned. DA has virtually zero footprint, has very few dependancies (unlike cPanel) and has near feature parity with cPanel. There's also significantly less direct securtiy risk with DA (indirectly all servers are vulnerable provided customers don't keep up to date w/ patches but cPanel just begs to get attacked) but this is mostly lost on the masses who prefer something familiar than to something sane and logical.
    And in my case:
    cPanel - 0% (and proud of it)
    Plesk - 0%
    DA - 66%
    Other 0%
    None - 33%

C-Panel 90%
    Plesk 0
    Direct Admin 5%
    Other 2%
    None 3%

IrageInternet Guest
    cPanel: 99%
    Plesk: 0%
    Direct Admin: 0%
    Other: 0%
    None: 1%

will_hostirian Guest
    I want to that all of you for your replies!
    Some real good information you have gathered for me!
    and again
    Thanks!

cPanel.

cPanel is by far the most popular for us, however, we have seen quite the influx of new DA orders recently.
    I actually prefer DA over cPanel since it is lightweight and quite easy to use, but customers continue to order cPanel

will_hostirian Guest
    cPanel is by far the most popular for us, however, we have seen quite the influx of new DA orders recently.
    I actually prefer DA over cPanel since it is lightweight and quite easy to use, but customers continue to order cPanel
    Also that DA is a much more afforable option as well!

Cpanel is more user friendly than any other one.

Cpanel is more user friendly than any other one.
    subjective opinion at best. Cpanel is administratively more work than DA as well as reduces the overall potential for your server due to the heavy footprint and backwards methods of software compatability.

subjective opinion at best. Cpanel is administratively more work than DA as well as reduces the overall potential for your server due to the heavy footprint and backwards methods of software compatability.
    Also that is an subjective opinion at best, all those customers ordering it can not all be wrong.
    While i agree with you it had quite a heavy footprint servers get faster too, just like that big OS which most end-users run on their desktops, it is hardly user-friendly in some eyes, it has the worst system resource footprint you ever saw, but still the largest amount of end-users is running this OS.

Also that is an subjective opinion at best, all those customers ordering it can not all be wrong.
    While i agree with you it had quite a heavy footprint servers get faster too, just like that big OS which most end-users run on their desktops, it is hardly user-friendly in some eyes, it has the worst system resource footprint you ever saw, but still the largest amount of end-users is running this OS.
    Ignorance of alternatives is not an answer. Saying cPanel takes more to do the same is far from subjective. I've done the test, installed cPanel and DA on an identical system and took snapshots of the results. I understand that customers choose cPanel over everyone else but that doesn't make it better. Just because Vista sold a few hundred million copies doesn't make it a great OS.
    Regardless, I don't want to stray from the original intent or hijack the thread. I was just pointing out that saying "cPanel is the best" w/ no substance behind it is a rather pointless plug. If people were better informed and took the time to understand the options and alternatives out there, we'd see a lot more market parity with regards to penetration than we have today.
    I guess I'll resign myself to the fact that most consumers are lazy (I shouldn't be surprised) and don't care about the negative drawbacks of a solution until it actually bites them.

DirectAdmin 60%
    cPanel 40%
    DirectAdmin is more administrator-friendly. You can easy set lots of servers options.

will_hostirian Guest
    Ignorance of alternatives is not an answer. Saying cPanel takes more to do the same is far from subjective. I've done the test, installed cPanel and DA on an identical system and took snapshots of the results. I understand that customers choose cPanel over everyone else but that doesn't make it better. Just because Vista sold a few hundred million copies doesn't make it a great OS.
    Regardless, I don't want to stray from the original intent or hijack the thread. I was just pointing out that saying "cPanel is the best" w/ no substance behind it is a rather pointless plug. If people were better informed and took the time to understand the options and alternatives out there, we'd see a lot more market parity with regards to penetration than we have today.
    I guess I'll resign myself to the fact that most consumers are lazy (I shouldn't be surprised) and don't care about the negative drawbacks of a solution until it actually bites them.
    This is the kind of answer/reply I was looking for!
    Please Post your snapshots here or send them to me if possible.

commercial solutions: 0%
    open source solutions: 100%
    Thomas

Linux
    %90 cpanel
    %10 plesk
    Windows
    %100 plesk

kdo-Shaun Guest
    Linux is Cpanel
    I notice cpanel is trying to get into the windows market with a panel for windows 2008 server

There are many other options for linux other than cPanel!
    DirectAdmin, Interworx, LxAdmin, Webmin, Plesk, etc.

will_hostirian Guest
    I had seen another post with the same subject and look's as if Cpanel has over 55% of the market according to WHT.

It does have the most market share, but it is older than most and it has name recognition. Most newbies haven't heard of any of the other panels so they ask for cpanel, though they may not really know what it is or what the differences are.

99% of the people here that are against Cpanel when you check in them signature they don't have cPanel to offer their customers with ... obviously they would be against cPanel ... they have DirectAdmin .. why is it cheaper for you providers to get DirectAdmin??

I offer Cpanel, DirectAdmin, Plesk, Hsphere, HostingController and Hsphere...more often than not the customer requests Cpanel. DA is gaining some traction however. Plesk is the main request for windows users.

99% of the people here that are against Cpanel when you check in them signature they don't have cPanel to offer their customers with ... obviously they would be against cPanel ... they have DirectAdmin .. why is it cheaper for you providers to get DirectAdmin??
    Many of us have TRIED cPanel and for whatever reason, have CHOSEN to use something else. Just because it's the biggest, doesn't mean it's the best, and just because we don't prefer it, doesn't mean because we don't offer it.
    We do offer both cPanel and DA plans, but I prefer DA. Not only for the price, but also for the feature/resource ratio. My customers and I get all that we need with less resource overhead than with cPanel, and it's just an added benefit that it costs less.
    Many people who have never hosted before a day in their lives and don't even know what a control panel is, when shown both, think that DA is more user-friendly and less of a learning curve.
    For someone who is brand new to hosting, cPanel can look daunting.

100% DirectAdmin .

Sure, we offer only DirectAdmin plans but I've also used both the client and admin-side of cPanel extensively. I just prefer DA more based on a lot of factors (many of which have been mentioned by CiscoMike), but price definitely isn't one. Their licensing fees aren't that far off anyways.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast