Green Bay, WI

Dedicated access

Hi Everyone!

After asking about dedicated servers and colo companies, I'd like to know if any of you have a dedicated T1 (full or fractional) going into your offices. If so, who do you use and what has been your experience with them? I may want to look into putting a line into our office and test a non production server for 3-6 months and if all goes well, perhaps move our clients in house.

Any comments or feedback would be great

Vienna, Austria
    some good friends do hosting in-house with dual t1 from sprint and savvis (sp?). they've been in business for years and i used to have a dedicated machine on those lines. worked out very well.

Parsippany, NJ
    Its foolish to host on dedicated lines unless you are using enough bandwidth to justify building you own datacenter.

If you get a full T1 line (1.5 Mb), lets say the loop is $350 and the bandwidth is $500. Your cost per Mb is $566/monthly, and you can't expand.

Now if you were to colocate, your price per Mb is probably around $400, and you are in a climate controlled, redundant, enviroment with infinite room for bandwidth expansion.

In a datacenter you have someone else monitoring your connectivity, what are you to do when your T1 line goes down at 3 am? How do you even know? When your customers call and you in a groggy voice say, "I don't know whats wrong".

You not only save money, but you get a better service!