Talking any books that teach setup webhosting in whole

as title

Lol - check out the many sites. Although there have been a couple / few "web hosting" books published, by the time they were actually in readers hands the info was obsolete! Search amazon for "web hosting" and i think you will find them.

Again - with ALL due respect to the authors of those books, any info written more than a few months ago, much less a couple years ago is pretty much old news.

Careful - they might suggest raising $300mil in VC money and building a data center with AC ducts large enough to drive a volkswagon through.

Hehe - today's trivia... Anyone remember who made that claim about driving a VW through their AC ducts back in 99 (I believe it was 99)?

Absolutely ... your best bet is to explore all the hosting-related sites as much as possible, check out forums like this one on a daily basis and ask LOTS of questions. Like the saying goes, there's no such thing as a dumb question ... except for the question that's never asked.

Getting a good basic business foundation is also essential, whether you're starting a hosting business or any other type of enterprise. Two excellent resources to help you get started are the Small Business Administration ( and SCORE ( both offer a ton of tools to help you develop a good business plan, research funding options, manage daily challenges, etc.

One parting thought: Always keep your customers Priority Number One. Remember the Golden Rule: Treat customers the way you'd want to be treated yourself.

Good luck!

Shirley Siluk Gregory
    Last edited by Chicken; 10-01-2002 at 09:10 AM.

Westbury, LI NY
    for technical stuff go here:

For basic TCPIP stuff and "how the net works 101" head to:

BIND stuff:

BIND to djbdns:

bash scripting:

...that is all on the more technical side. There is a business side to webhosting, revenue, margins, etc. He can pick up a high school economics book and breeze through that in a few days.

After html, learn xhtml/css/php

Take a look at

Havent read these books yet, but they look interesting.

Tacoma, Washington
    Originally posted by lpguitars
    Hehe - today's trivia... Anyone remember who made that claim about driving a VW through their AC ducts back in 99 (I believe it was 99)?
    From memory it was Equinix:
    and it was a whmag writer who mention the VW thing, I think

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Greg - GOOD ONE! You are the winner - and nailed it all the way down to the WHmag article.

Please email me off list for your prize... (no joke).

Thx to all nice guy here !!
    Is there any forums like this one ??
    In fact, I know only.

Georgia, USA
    A new one out:

Understanding Linux Webhosting

That's the only one I know of that goes through actual hardware/software setup... others I've seen simply hit the business aspects such as planning, marketing, specialization, etc.
    CDHost - Managed Business Hosting - [email protected]
    Proud Host of!