Thread: Domain Question

Question Domain Question

This is just simply a question but I wanted to see what others think. How would you price a four letter dot com domain? The four letters (no numbers) don't mean anything whatsoever and aren't initials for your name and/or company. Just curious because I came across one the other day that the person is selling and I think what he was asking was a bit high. But that may be because the four letters don't mean anything to me...

Just curious.
    - Mark

There's a big chance that those 4 letters would mean something to somebody, and without seeing them, it's impossible to guess a potential value.

Lats...
    Lats...

Re: Domain Question

Originally posted by markblair
    This is just simply a question but I wanted to see what others think. How would you price a four letter dot com domain? The four letters (no numbers) don't mean anything whatsoever and aren't initials for your name and/or company. Just curious because I came across one the other day that the person is selling and I think what he was asking was a bit high. But that may be because the four letters don't mean anything to me...

Just curious.

I second that!

Completely understandable. Wasn't sure if anyone wanted to take a crack at this without that information. That's why I purposely left it out. However, the domain in question (which means nothing specific to myself) is erpa.com. The person selling the domain initially asked for $2700 USD.
    - Mark

Ummm, a very quick search on Google suggests that the asking might be a bit high.

IMO, maybe the decimal point should go the left 1 spot, maybe 2.

Lats...

hah!
    that price is outrageous for a non-word domain
    theres still some 4 letters open out there that are just random letters
    Complx Internet Services
    www.complx.net
    Hosting - Colocation - Domains - Dialup
    salesnet@complx.net

Even it is 4 letters only, this does not justify for that price.
    WirelessCon.Com BlackHat.INFO Business.NU

My thoughts have been confirmed. Again, I wasn't looking at getting the domain. I saw the site was showing it for sale and thought I'd see what the owner had to say. When I saw what the person wanted, I almost fell outta' my chair. Sadly, I'm sure people would pay that price even if the letters don't stand for anything specific.
    - Mark

BTW, I checked archive.org and the site goes back to 1999 with the same "this domain is for sale" statement. Almost as if the owner continues to renew the registration just trying to sell it. Is that common? To me, that's a waste especially after a couple of years of no success in selling the domain...

http://web.archive.org/web/199908231.../www.erpa.com/
    - Mark

That's what speculation is all about.

You just never know - a new company may start up and require those letters and he's got a sale.

Lats...
    Lats...

Originally posted by markblair
    BTW, I checked archive.org and the site goes back to 1999 with the same "this domain is for sale" statement. Almost as if the owner continues to renew the registration just trying to sell it. Is that common? To me, that's a waste especially after a couple of years of no success in selling the domain...

http://web.archive.org/web/199908231.../www.erpa.com/
    That's one of the risk of doing business in domain name.
    WirelessCon.Com BlackHat.INFO Business.NU

I did a search and find this discussion. I was wondering about the value of 4 letters names.

Are they going to be the next "rare names" after 2 and 3 letters?

Is there any of those left to register?

Thank you.

maybe...

Wha tis this discussion about, how clever is cyber squatting, why should anyone register 4 letter domains if he is not finding it useful
    Deepak
    Everyone has a right to their own opinion but nobody has a right to their own facts.
    Bangalore Multimedia Design Company