Thread: Logo's

Logo's

Hi there, I'd appreciate it if someone could give me an opinion on these logo's, and which of the two look best. Also, is it easily noticable that the symbol on the left of the top one is actually a 3D box and not just a random collection of 'V's'?

Thanks a lot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails logo.gif  

They are both good looking, the text is sharp. Are they the colors you want, they look a little plain/dull. On the top one it does just look like a random collection of 'V's'.

They are both good- I'll tell you what, those three triangles in the first logo border genious. If I had thought of that I would probably divert my focus towards it more and come up with some designs focusing on it. I would also trademark it right away. Even thou the second logo looks a little more refined and ready to use than the first one, those triangles are a great insignia.

I am getting the privelege of working with him on his design team
    Lead Designer @ SingleHop

Umm... I'm going to be honest here and DON'T mean to offend anyone, but the first logo's symbol looks kind of like the Nazi emblem. I would advice against using it, or atleast change it if you use it.
    Domain Software, LLC.

Originally posted by flitcher
    Umm... I'm going to be honest here and DON'T mean to offend anyone, but the first logo's symbol looks kind of like the Nazi emblem. I would advice against using it, or atleast change it if you use it.
    No it don't. It looks very professional. No one else will think that because it dont look like it.

i agree fully, if you think thats the nazi symbol... your definatly a paranoid jew
    not to offend anyone of course
    Read the posts people, no more blanket answers.

Originally posted by flitcher
    That's what I saw at first glance too.

I like the second one more, it stands out, though I think the bars continuing from under the X have been done to death.
    Andrew Walenczykiewicz
    StyleMy.com

I would have to agree about the first logo looking like a nazi symbol. I mean we all cant be wrong.

I'm not sure about the first version looking similar to a Nazi logo, but I do prefer the second one.

Both are awesome! I think I like the 1st better. Maybe you should do a poll

12. to be honest... at first glance, i also found that the first logo looking similar to a nazi symbol. i suggest not to use it as well.

the fact that a few of us did catch the similarities, should be of some concern. what will happen is that some, repeat some, potential customers will associate that symbol and label it negative. that will be the first thing negative that they see about the symbol and about the company. to me, that is not good for business regardless of your intentions.

do as you please... this is something that should be given more thought. there have been companies that have failed because they themselves have failed to see how the market can be sensitive about these issues. whether you keep it or not, i wish you luck.

those are my few cents...

take care.

Nazi Like symbol

I too agree about the symbol being nazi-like, in fact I think it is used as a symbol for an ultra-right south african party, (if I remember my history correctly). However I might have seen it on a movie also.

After a quick google search I found this:

http://www.fotw.stm.it/flags/za-boer.html

part of the Afrikaner Weerstands Beweging (literally translating African Resistance Movement) and the symbols represent 7's.

Just for the record I liked the second logo much more and think its excellent, Good Luck.
    Last edited by FlightLizard; 09-09-2002 at 02:24 AM.

Welcome FlightLizard.
    Both the logos look fine to me. The color looks dull on white background. If I compare out of the two I like the second one more.

Hmm....I'm certainly going to have to take this into consideration. Here is a picture of the neo-nazi symbol and when you look at it next to my logo you can see the obvious differences, of course not many of my prospective customers are going to have this picture at hand to compare it with.

Just a question, did all you guys notice this before they read the first message about its resemblance to the nazi symbol? It's frustrating because I really liked it. Maybe I can work with it a little.

Well I thought..hmmm...maybee Isle of man not Nazi !!
    I think they are great btw

Andy.

Jonny,
    You said that it is a 3 dimensional box, so why not color the box a bit instead of making it white? Now when I look at it I see the 3-d box right away, but to those who first look at it how are they to know its 3 dimensional?
    Domain Software, LLC.

I'd say change the name of the company - who wants to deal with a Vexing company

j/k

The logo is similar since all you have to do is add 1 arm and it's pretty much a nazi symbol.

Personally I'd go with something a little harsher colour wise... gray/blue has been done to death.

That and I'd leave the X alone and try to do something with the LL instead - maybe the 2nd image, make the E's normal, and put a fade in line from the baseline of the V starting under the left side of the first E and going to the last L and a second fade in line starting under the middle or right side of the first E and going to the first L

JMJ

Originally posted by Jonny
    Hmm....I'm certainly going to have to take this into consideration.
    Just a question, did all you guys notice this before they read the first message about its resemblance to the nazi symbol? It's frustrating because I really liked it. Maybe I can work with it a little.
    Actually, I noticed a similarity right off the bat, but then I examined it a bit and came to the conclusion it was genious. Fact of the matter is, you may have to adjust it a bit if you want to still use it.
    Perhaps you can try giving it an angled perspective so that one side of the trangle looks closer than the other- that would help alleviate some of the similarity, but it would still look a bit like an angled nazi symbol to a lot of people.
    It sucks that such a cool design looks so close to the symbol of such a vile campaign, but alas, it might have to be back to the drawing board for you.
    At least take solace in the fact that I thought that insignia was brilliant.

I too see a swastika in the first logo. But thanks for bashing people who agree with me and labeling them as paranoid jews - very professional.

21. Originally posted by Jonny
    Hmm....I'm certainly going to have to take this into consideration. Here is a picture of the neo-nazi symbol and when you look at it next to my logo you can see the obvious differences, of course not many of my prospective customers are going to have this picture at hand to compare it with.

i knew off the bat it wasn't a nazi symbol. but, right off the bat i DID feel the symbol was NEGATIVE. you don't want anything negative to be associated the first time you see your company. as a designer i try to put myself in other peoples shoes and try to see what others may see. so, that was the first next thing (nazi looking) i saw. besides, your design symbol is basically a nazi symbol only if you and one more "V" and that says a lot.

i suggest you follow flightlizard's post/link and see that your 3d box is VERY similar to that of the neo-nazi of south africa and not the nazi symbol from germany.

i know prospective customers are not going to going to have pictures to compare. just because you see differences between the two, doesn't mean that there are no similarities. cause there are. more so than the differences.

it is a shame how a symbol can create so much negative energy. especially when the german nazi's didn't even create the symbol itself. which the chinese used it way before the germans did in the form of their culture and art.

as frustrating as it seems, in today's world, we (as designers) have to be sensitive about these issues. that is what makes our jobs so difficult and challenging. figuring out creative ways to communicate without being to insensitive and such.

if you do plan to keep it... i do not see it as a 3d box. even when you did state that as a fact, it took me a few more seconds than normally to see it. but, it do see it. if i didn't see it that way at first (and i'm a designer) how do you expect your customers to see it? so, why not color it in, as someone already suggested, to make the 3d box more evident.

as much as you like it... i feel that i must say, "back to the drawing board". i'm sure you are up to the task. just take your time and think things through. remember, nothing is personal, it's just business.

take care.

#2, #2, #2

I do totally appreciate that your criticism is on totally professional grounds , but of course it is still disapointing as I was so pleased when I first created it. Of course I'd rather this be brought to my attention now than in 6 months time. As we all know, mud sticks and I don't think perceived links with one of the most Evil reigime's in history would help business much.

Now then, let's forget that one, it's gone! However, I want to use a similar concept, and maybe create a whole 3d box with these 'V''s. If you see the attatchment below you will see the first attempt. Anyone got any suggestions as to how to make this actually appear like a 3d box, as quite frankly at the moment it takes more than a quick glance to see what it is?

Thanks for all your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails insignia1.gif  

Add color

If you add different color inside a couple of the V's it will give it depth. Color in the 2 V's for the "front" of the box and one of the "sides" or something. Because there is just one color there is no difference between them. I would also recommend using black or at least a darker grey on your V's, the grey is way too light. And if you don't want to use color, maybe have the V's in different shades based on the "front" and "back" of the box, darker in front, lighter in back.

Second one is good and more creative.

Your newest design gave me this idea: (done in MSPAINT so looks crappy but you get the idea)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vexcell.jpg  

The second logo I have seen before...it was months ago..I think asking for a review...or was it a design comp...anyway that is beside the point.

The first thing I saw with your symbol was the Isle of Man....and then...when I read all the other posts...the Nazi symbol. So..it really does look like a Nazi Symbol..and then again so does the Ise of Man flag....but nobody associates that with Nazis.

If your selling web hosting and your logo is on the site with all the lovely packages you have to offer....I doubt anybody would see bad things in your logo.

Good luck anyway.

Simon

Firstly, thanks for everyone's opinions. I think the question that needs to be asked is does the insignia look enough like a swastika for people to believe it actually is one? I think not. And if the user's are intellegent enough to realise that it is not in fact the Nazi emblem, should there be any reason for this to reflect badly on the company?

I am considering doing a poll on here to find out people's opinions on the matter.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Let's compare the logo in question with the neo-nazi flag, shall we?

Your logo: .http://www.webhostingtalk.com/attach...&postid=556314

Neo-Nazi flag: http://www.fotw.stm.it/images/za-awb.gif

They're identical. And more than a few posts here already see the similarity. Why bother? Go with something else.

Firstly, they are not identical which is the point I was making. I agree that it is similar to that last symbol, however I had never seen that one before it was posed on here; I was referring to the more well known 'Swastika', which bares noticable differences from my logo.

Oh, it's okay if it's exactly the same as the current nazi flag, just so long as it doesn't remind THAT many people of the swatika.

You certainly have an eye for marketing!

Your new logo is great- I would have no qualms about using it (even though I really liked the first one- but wouldn't ever use it because of the similarities)

Originally posted by RandyL712
    Oh, it's okay if it's exactly the same as the current nazi flag, just so long as it doesn't remind THAT many people of the swatika.

You certainly have an eye for marketing!
    Hey man, why don't you chill out. This guy is coming here for help, we told him what we tought, he was taken aback, reconsidered, and came up with a new design and junked the old one. You don't need to troll this guy - he didn't make a swastika, or intend to make a similar symbol, and when it was brought to his attention, he junked a great design which is not an easy thing to do.

You certainly have a flair for PR!

Randy, it is not the same. Similar but not the same. I don't even know what that particular symbol is, the new Nazi symbol you say? What I was trying to say was that I needed to know whether it 'reminding' people of the swastika would actually put them off?

If the answer is yes, then it goes, ok?