hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Running a Web Hosting Business : Before hosting a Web Hosting Businesses what should I learn

Forum Jump

Before hosting a Web Hosting Businesses what should I learn

Reply Post New Thread In Running a Web Hosting Business Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

Say C++, Math, Spelling for some examples.

Sponsored Links
Old
Junior Guru

Customer service and I say that with all seriousness. If you say you're going to provide a service then do so.
If you're the "hands on" technical resource too then please know what it is that you're selling and using.
C++...probably not. If you're offering linux/UNIX then would be good to know C. Know your operating systems and the control panel/services software.
Math...just in the sense that you know how to bill properly each month and not charge me twice...or that "unlimited + 50" for resources really is not reasonable.

Old
Community Liaison

On a semi - serious level, I think spelling is rather important to be honest.
By far no the most important skill, though

Sponsored Links
Old
Disabled

In terms of any business establishment, there are quite a few key aspects that one should be comfortable with in order to maintain effeciency.
Business Etiquette - This includes customer service, proper spelling/grammar/wording, and interaction.
Backend Functionality - Have a clear understanding of the functionality you provide. In other words, know about the OS you are running, be able to use any type of control panel or billing panel, and other types of functionality that a client may need assistance with, such as FTP.
Targeted Audience - Always maintain a clear understanding of who you are servicing too. This will allow you to interact, as said above, with clients easier.
In terms of math or programming, as you asked, it is useful to have a basic understanding of it, but it's not a large priority that most tend to key into. Math will be used to properly determine any billing deficiencies (which a billing panel can usually be used for,) and you may encounter a time where a client asks for specific programming, scripting, or coding help.
If you need anymore assistance, please feel free to get in contact with me in anyway.

Old

Say C++, Math, Spelling for some examples.

Old
Junior Guru

Customer service and I say that with all seriousness. If you say you're going to provide a service then do so.
If you're the "hands on" technical resource too then please know what it is that you're selling and using.
C++...probably not. If you're offering linux/UNIX then would be good to know C. Know your operating systems and the control panel/services software.
Math...just in the sense that you know how to bill properly each month and not charge me twice...or that "unlimited + 50" for resources really is not reasonable.

Old
Community Liaison

On a semi - serious level, I think spelling is rather important to be honest.
By far no the most important skill, though

Old
Disabled

In terms of any business establishment, there are quite a few key aspects that one should be comfortable with in order to maintain effeciency.
Business Etiquette - This includes customer service, proper spelling/grammar/wording, and interaction.
Backend Functionality - Have a clear understanding of the functionality you provide. In other words, know about the OS you are running, be able to use any type of control panel or billing panel, and other types of functionality that a client may need assistance with, such as FTP.
Targeted Audience - Always maintain a clear understanding of who you are servicing too. This will allow you to interact, as said above, with clients easier.
In terms of math or programming, as you asked, it is useful to have a basic understanding of it, but it's not a large priority that most tend to key into. Math will be used to properly determine any billing deficiencies (which a billing panel can usually be used for,) and you may encounter a time where a client asks for specific programming, scripting, or coding help.
If you need anymore assistance, please feel free to get in contact with me in anyway.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
HostingCon 2014 Australian Symposium Web Hosting Events 2014-07-08 15:02:39
Learn How to Analyze DDoS Attacks to Protect Your Hosting Business with Corero Blog 2014-05-30 10:41:50
HostingCon 2014 Web Hosting Events 2014-06-29 13:49:21
Riding the New gTLD wave to achieve 10x hosting growth Webinars 2014-06-10 11:03:57
3 Ways GlowTouch Can Help You Grow Your Business Leveraging Amazon Web Services Webinars 2014-06-10 11:05:51