hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Omnis or StartLogic

Forum Jump

Omnis or StartLogic

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM
Hyphen

After HostSimplex failed on me, I've narrowed my new hosting choices down to Omnis (omnis.com) and StartLogic (startlogic.com) - both offer a free domain with $5.95/month hosting. Which do I take?
Does anyone know any other hosting services with the same (or a lower price) that offers unlimited space, bandwidth, and domains?

Sponsored Links
Web Hosting Master

Why do you need unlimited things. You may know that they are non existent and its only a marketing plan. What type of site are you going to host? Please give your requirements I mean which you exactly need rather than all unlimited. You can find some reviews on both of the host you have mentioned here by doing a search using http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php.

WHT Addict

i used omnis many moons ago. their shared hosting wasn't bad, nothing I would use for something mission critical. kind of slow. Support was slow as well.

Sponsored Links
Premium Member

iHubNet-Matt is right. If you use a lot of resources, you'd be better off finding a plan that actually fits your needs. The problem with the unlimited stuff is that there is a limit, and if your sites become active, and if it becomes too busy, they'll suspend you for probably CPU or memory abuse. There's a hard physical limit that every host has, nothing is unlimited. So, it's just a gimmick. If you need 1 Terabyte of diskspace, or 1 Terabyte of bandwidth, you won't be able to use that on a shared plan. You don't even have to take my word for it, just ask the thousands of people that have tried to use a reasonable amount of resources on an "unlimited" platform and got suspended because of it.

Hyphen

i used omnis many moons ago. their shared hosting wasn't bad, nothing I would use for something mission critical. kind of slow. Support was slow as well.
Do they support web-based proxies?

Web Hosting Master

You are not going in the right direction here...
If HostSimplex failed you, do you think an unlimited $6.00/m host is going to do any better? You are going to be in the same exact situation as you were with your previous host.
I highly suggest you reconsider the way you are looking for web hosts. Going with the cheapest host that offers you the most [whatever] is going to get you the worse service available.

Web Hosting Master

I would highly recommend straying away from either of those hosts. They offer unlimited hosting, which doesn't exist, and as you have said their support is slow so I do not know why you would go with them. Also, it is not highly recommended to get your domain with your host, let alone a big overseller, because if anything happens and you get kicked off of their server, then you will lose your domain as well. If you go with an unlimited host, as soon as you start to consume a decent amount of server resources, your site will be suspended immediately.

Retired Moderator

StartLogic (startlogic.com)
offers unlimited space, bandwidth, and domains? Look for a couple of "top hosts" site, and you'll find out who their competitors are. Disregard the tops themselves, as they're useless, they're often little more than "top paying hosts" lists.
Are you headed in the right direction given your needs? I don't think so. There's no such thing as true "unlimited", especially when you're thinking of using proxies. Look at "unlimited" as "we place no direct limit on space/data transfer", but place quite a few other indirect limits: cpu/memory usage, banned content/types of sites etc.
At $6, expect to share the server with 200 other customers, possibly a good deal more. If you get in the way of keeping their target minimum number of customers per server, you'll be deemed unfit for their shared hosting. In fewer words, don't expect miracles.
Do they support web-based proxies? Such questions are best answered by the hosts themselves. Policies change - something to be kept in mind.

Hyphen

You are not going in the right direction here...
If HostSimplex failed you, do you think an unlimited $6.00/m host is going to do any better? You are going to be in the same exact situation as you were with your previous host.
I highly suggest you reconsider the way you are looking for web hosts. Going with the cheapest host that offers you the most [whatever] is going to get you the worse service available.
I don't understand your reasoning here. HostGator is an affordable host and is excellent. My mom owns an online store registered with StartLogic and it's been fine for nearly 2 years.

Retired Moderator

Quite likely neither site you're referring to is much of a CPU or memory hog, or getting much traffic. Low priced shared hosting can be fine for a lot of the sites out there. Most sites probably barely use 1GB of data transfer in a month, but if you're thinking of testing the limits of "unlimited" using proxy sites, we're talking about a totally different picture.

Web Hosting Master

I don't understand your reasoning here. HostGator is an affordable host and is excellent. My mom owns an online store registered with StartLogic and it's been fine for nearly 2 years.
Hostgator is one of the few hosts who have provided decent quality as an overseller. However, why would you want an unlimited host? I mean let's be realistic here. If you were to upload 100GB of files and consume 1000GB of bandwidth you would definitely be suspended for consuming too many resources. What are your realistic diskspace and bandwidth requirements? If you have some more realistic requirements, you'll be able to find a host where you don't have to worry about getting suspended and can just continue to upload. Your mom's website might be a small website so it won't have much problem on an unlimited plan, but your site might be much bigger and consume more resources which can eventually lead you to suspension.

Junior Guru Wannabe

Whatever you choose, think twice about the domain--it's safest to have that handled separately from the hosting.

Junior Guru Wannabe

It always amuses me when people actually consider choosing one Web hosting company versus an Endurance International-owned brand, i.e. StartLogic. What's worse, when people begin comparing two Endurance-owned brands and weighing the pros and cons of each.
Wake up people, please. Endurance owns some 24+ Web hosting brands and houses them all in the same data centres. All that's different is their pricing and marketing strategy. If you want to use an Endurance brand, search WebHostingTalk and pick a brand, cross your fingers and hope for the best.
Cheers,
Doug

Web Hosting Master

Maybe or Maybe not?
HostSimplex was a case of taking every clients money and closing their doors with no explanation or compensation.
Hostsimplex down for 3 hours (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=729128)

James Lee

Look for a couple of "top hosts" site, and you'll find out who their competitors are. Disregard the tops themselves, as they're useless, they're often little more than "top paying hosts" lists.
Are you headed in the right direction given your needs? I don't think so. There's no such thing as true "unlimited", especially when you're thinking of using proxies. Look at "unlimited" as "we place no direct limit on space/data transfer", but place quite a few other indirect limits: cpu/memory usage, banned content/types of sites etc.
At $6, expect to share the server with 200 other customers, possibly a good deal more. If you get in the way of keeping their target minimum number of customers per server, you'll be deemed unfit for their shared hosting. In fewer words, don't expect miracles.
Such questions are best answered by the hosts themselves. Policies change - something to be kept in mind.
Well said.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted