Thread: FDC Servers

Exclamation FDC Servers

Well, about 1.5 months ago I was looking for a web hosting company and read some of the reviews here about FDC Servers.

Most of them were not good, there were a few that were good saying Peter is a great contact.

I have used them and I got to say, I am not very impressed.
    Starting off, they only installed half the memory that was promised. I emailed them, and they said they were out of memory and it would go in 1-2 days from now. Not a big deal, but I had to send another email out 7 days later to check up on it and eventually the next day they got around to it.

The memory they installed was bad. So I had to have them replace this. They replaced the memory about 14 hours later. Which is acceptable.

Then I have one day come around, 11:45pm I have a server reboot out of no where. 12:45pm it reboots again. 1:45pm it reboots yet another time. I have contacted them and they have no idea why. After the second reboot, they stopped sending me email on what they think the problem is. I contacted them in the next morning. No update. Finally two days later I contact them again, still trying to fix this problem. My response "What issue????". So I explain them the problem again, and they say Oh. Eventually they come around telling me it was just a power problem and it is all resolved. (Would been nice to know this 2 days ago).

I had 2 other outages since then. But I had a major one just recently that was 14 hours of downtime. They send me an email saying it is stuck at manual FSCK. 14 hours later they tell me that they asked for the root password and I didn't send it, and that is why it was resolved. Checking the original email, I didn't see any where it asked for this password. So I sent another email asking why it isn't up. I sent them the root password, and sometime in the next 2 hours it was finally brought back up.

I contact them (after the power problem and some other problems I told them I think their service is not for me, they claimed I would loose all money spent thus far, which I told them I am leaving because of their poor service).

Billing comes around and I tell them again, I am interested in canceling the service and I am not happy with it and would like my money back. Peter at this point comes in and accuses me of wanting a free ride and he has seen people like me. As well as a few other pleasentries. If you consider using the server for 2 weeks (took 1.5 for them to get it up like I ordered) and getting a bit of traffic, then having problems and not logging into the server in over 2 weeks or using it for anything taking a free ride. Fine. But I stopped using the server, and was completely unhappy with the service.

All in all, FDC Servers responds very quickly 15 minutes to most things, but anything that is complicated or they don't want to handle, they just ignore you. I found this quite a few times with them. I would ask something, and get no response, but ask something else and I get a response within 15 minutes.

I would rate them 2 out of 10 if I had to so rate them. I would never use them again or even recommend them.

Funny thing is when I was evaluating my choices, I told Peter that I have heard back things about them, and he responded "It is from people who are no longer a customer". Laughing now, I can see why.

If your looking for good hosting, go with someone like Cyberwurx. Not FDC Servers. On top of that, they use Cogent which they claim is fast and responses, I noticed some lulls where latency was not that impressive, but throughput was good. Ping time from Cable connection was averaging around 47ms, which is about 20ms more than it should be for this type of connection with 0 load.

Just because they have a low price, doesn't mean they are a good choice. You get what you pay for. Or don't get in this case.

lol sorry to see another horror story yea we were offered unlimited way back too and they should say 1.5mbit or somthing rather than unmetered because most we could push out was about that and the whole connection was all saturated it was horrible.

we left and hav'nt looked back

and i'm sure petr will reply saying oh but you pushed 900 gigs one month well yea that was before i told people about you guys and you got way oversold and then i could'nt push but 1 maybe near 2mbit/s.

anyhow hope others stay away.

Though I formerly was a great supporter of FDC, in the past few weeks they've scr*wed me around so much, I've decided to move out. I've been with them from the start and for a very long time they were very good to me. A while ago their network seemed to have improved and they seemed to have beefed up tech support. Last week one of my harddrives failed (my main drive). It took them 3 days to replace it and I didn't even get a humble little 'sorry for the delay' out of them. They first told me they had to order the harddrive (you would have thought they'd have a spare 40 GIG drive about considering they're offering these in their new servers), after that they told me tech support was behind and that I'd have to wait (very pleasent when your server is just sitting on their shelf beeing a pay-per-month paper weight).

After they put the new drive in the server has gone down twice for periods longer than 8 hours, while neither my users or myself have run/installed anything to cause it (that was their original excuse for the crash, but I inspected my server and client software with a fine tooth pick only hours before the crash and I had another look after the server came back online). They were unable to tell me what was/is causing the server to sporadicly crash on a regular basis (though it has now been 4 days since the last crash). After the last crash they brought it back up (eventually), but they never had the curtousy to tell me what the problem was so I could fix it and prevent it from happening again, even after I had asked them for the cause of the crash.

During the periods the server was down it took them (on both occasions) over 3 hours to reply to my emergency reboot request and they didn't even notice the server didn't come back up correctly after they rebooted it the second time. It took another email from me to inform them it hadn't come back online.

In the last 2 days their network has become worse than ever before. It is extremely unstable, meaning the speed vary from 30 kb/s one second, to 1 MB/s the next, with an avarage speed of about 100 kb/s (measured over a few large wgets over the last 2 days). It looks like they've gone overselling those 100 MBIT lines again. No way they can guarentee the minimum 2 or 3 MBIT sustained (used to be 3, but I see they now only say 600 GIGS a month minimum, which would be 2 MBIT).

I've learnt the hard way: Invest a bit more money and get a server with a quality company. Sure, I'll be out an extra $50 a month on each server and I'll have metered transfer, but that's nothing compared to the stability and quality support I'm getting for it. My other server with serverhost has been a dream. Not one minute of downtime in the last 2 months and support has been excellent (the longest time it has taken them to answer a support email has been an hour, and that was on Sunday about a billing issue). Pitty their sales department seems to be closed during the weekend, because I want another server
    Last edited by Tazzman; 09-08-2002 at 04:27 PM.
    Proud member of the RIAA closed quaters combat cell !!!
    You'd better drop that CD-R before I shoot you !!!

Thumbs down That sucks!

Very bad when one person posts a problem and many others join and down talk the same host..

This is obviously a host to be put on anyones 'weary host' list..

Becareful!
    Devon Dunham (Owner, Sharpnet/DDoS Host)
    Advanced DDoS Mitigation and Server Management Solutions

Protecting your online infrastructure.

Est. 1998.

No problem...

Originally posted by porcupine
    Thanks for the review devon , you need to start a reviews thread, as theres no point in us reading the review after the entire thread, read a few of these now .
    And you're welcome.
    Devon Dunham (Owner, Sharpnet/DDoS Host)
    Advanced DDoS Mitigation and Server Management Solutions

Protecting your online infrastructure.

Est. 1998.

What pissed me off is Petr's jackass comment that I was trying for a free ride and his merchant account has has no worries.

I worked with them and tried to resolve the issues, but they had to piss on me. I am contacting VISA on Monday, and copy of my logs and other remote and local management logs to show it. As well as the fact i stopped using it halfway through the month because I was totally unhappy with the service.

I will post the emails up going back and forth at some point. I hate when a company piss on you thinking you have nothing you can do in return.

I got to say Petr answered emails faster than most places I have seen, but he was selective on what he answered, and did not relay alot of important information like when things were down and why.

This company is very entry level, their service is nothing I would put anything that was worth a damn on.

I am glad I did not start pushing alot of traffic through them before I realized this. I think Cyberwurx is the way to go, I have heard alot of good things about them from their old, new, and current customers.

FDC Servers doesn't have bad press, it is only X-Customers that complains. (I think of when Petr told me that when I signed up and now I laugh). Thats like making a drug that kills people and say there was no case of someone who complained about side effects.

Hopefully D&B and VISA will show their colors and help out.

Almost the same as my experience

Stupidly I paid for 9 months, now im accused of blackmailing because i continue to ask for my money back.

Petr makes things up in his own little world, "I ASKED YOU FOR...." when they clearly do not....weird bunch i must say

Talk to your credit card company, if you had poor service, keep the logs and any charting tools you had. I had HotSaNIC running on mine, so I have graphical charts of all the outages. I also backed up the logs and such.

I will be speaking to my VISA company on Monday, and file a complaint with D&B (doesn't do alot, but sometimes helps).

If you have honest legidiamate claim, 9 out of 10 times, the credit card company is in favor of the consumer. Provided you don't go around charging back every other purchase. I only charged back once and it was 4 years ago against another web hosting site who do similar things. I kept all the emails and documentation and it was a real easy procedure. After 9 months though your going to have a hard time, unless your claiming just the last month or so and have good proof they didn't provide what they promised. FDC Servers is so pathetic when it comes to quality they don't claim 99.9% or even 10% uptime. But they do claim "reliable fast" servers.

FDC Servers is so pathetic when it comes to quality they don't claim 99.9% or even 10% uptime. But they do claim "reliable fast" servers.
    Actually, when they first started out (when I signed up) they had a 99.5% uptime guarentee. Dunno if they still have that in their TOS anywhere, but they won't honour it anyway, they never did in the past...

Vampire,

Depending on the state you live in (and the state FDC is in), you are legally bound to a 30 day money back guarantee no matter how shotty the product you bought it. Most states require this of any service and is illegal if they do not return your money within that one month period. You may want to check out your better business bureau to see what your statutes are, but I know in Wisconsin where I live, there's a 30 day backer no matter what your reason is for cancelling.

Just FYI

Eric

Yeah, that is the case for most anything anywhere.

I used to use fdcserver too, but their network sucks, or overwhelm of subscriber

damn u guys are talking like these guys are charging regular prices and giving shotty service... understand this: in order to offer that kinda service at those rates, companies have to cut corners somewhere, so don't expect the same levels of quality that google or yahoo does from their provider...

and for those of you that are thinking "this guy must be getting paid off to post this sh*t"... no, i am not... actually, Petr cost me a $1500/month profit margin on one of my clients... and yet i still host with him... he does NOT give me preferential treatment. For what i pay, i definately think i m getting what i paid for... n then some...

Well netdude its not the fact that clients expect too much. Its because the hype on these awesome webistes and from current clients that makes us believe its true. I think we just need a buyer beware attitude.

Hey how about this, "Good things aren't cheap, and cheap things aren't good." Hey think i'll put that in my sig
    Hosting.Express | Affordable Web and Email Hosting
    Shared | Reseller | 24/7 Support | NSA Free
    SPECIAL OFFER - domain name, email and cPanel web hosting = $3.73 per month | Contact Us: 1-800-861-1888

lol

so so true...

"cheap things aren't good" but cheap things can be good... i mean...

i've owned a ferrari before... cost a hella lot more than my jeep... doesn't mean my jeep is bad, just means its good in a different sense... in terms of driving one of the cars, i like the jeep more... but thats just cuz i've grown acustom to driving higher vehicles... heh...

Netdude, they advertise fast and reliable.

Which makes you believe you can run a business on them.

With them going down more than Clinton's pants you cannot and with Petr running the entire thing with one other person (Josh), I hardly fine them suitable for any professional hosting. Not to mention their poor attitude, lack of ANY guarentee of uptime, cheapest ISP link in the business.

And they really not a hell of a lot cheaper than anyone out there.
    Their low packages are a bit cheaper, but when you get to the dedicated pipe, it is in the same ballpark of alot of REAL vendors.

FDC is a poor excuse ofa hosting company.

Originally posted by VampireD
    With them going down more than Clinton's pants

I'm so happy
    I just secured a new server in Globalcompass, so I can soon send Petr a nice cancellation email

The server at FDC was good enough for learning purposes, but they have proven to be too unstable for a production server. There goes the $200+ I invested in extra ram and a second harddrive

well, i have been having some troubles with two of my servers ... (software related on both)... and their support got the win2k figured pretty fast, freebsd still poking at... but replies to my support emails within 15 minutes in all cases... faster actually...

network is much better lately too... hehe... ping times still more than double what they should b (should be 60ms to chicago, getting 150ms), but its cool... its not fdc's fault, its cogent's fault...

Originally posted by VampireD
    Netdude, they advertise fast and reliable.

Which makes you believe you can run a business on them.

With them going down more than Clinton's pants....
    ROTFLMAO!!!!!

FDCservers and stuff

My question is simply why do people even go with companies like FDCServers, Nocster/Burst if they're just crap. All I ever read is that they stink maybe 2-3 good posts.. just stop using them. Why even fill up the forums. These are obviously bad companies who don't even try. or they try but not very hard. Just shell out the extra $30-50 and get your multihomed decent connection. For the love of god stop expecting the world for nothing. I can only name one reputable cogent provider (not to turn this into a cogent thread) and thats prioritycolocation, he has reasonable prices and A+ Support. Their not understaffed or under knowlegeable. He (myles) actually tries.

/End rant

, i can think of a few cogent providers who do actually try, a lot of them (much like us) dont seem to get a huge amount of attention though as our pricing isn't unreasonable, but thats the defining point for the service i guess, if you bill people at a break even level... you cant afford anything else unfortunatly .