Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

your take on Comcast DOCSIS 3.0

Hello all!
    I would like to know your feedback on Comcast new DOCSIS 3.0 being released this year. The new speeds will be at 50megs-200megs and their also saying people will have to get an internet modem upgrade. What will this mean for compatible systems, internet, gaming, responses, hosting, etc? and will Comcast still have the 250GB Mo cap?
    Last edited by silvereagle510; 03-25-2009 at 03:38 AM. Reason: typo

hmm, people sadly offer web and related hosting on their cable modems now, so i bet they are jumping with glee.

they will still have the cap.
    I'm going switch to FIOS once it's available in my area.

All the kid hosts will be jumping with joy.

\o//o/
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net

I seriously doubt comcast will be able to give 50mbps+ to every user, and even then I doubt it will sustain (e.g. "speedboost"). Their network is already so congested in some areas.

If you have FiOS in your area, get it...it blows away everything else.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | DDOS Protected | Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

I have the 50mb/10mb service...and as far as I know, there is no talks of 200mb...or anything faster then 50mb at the moment.

I used to host a small domain from there, but I progressed to something better.

I do run a TF2 server for a few local friends..it can handle 30 at a time, even with my CS 1.6 server full with 24 in it...decent connection, that's for sure. but it does not beat what a data center offers speed wise.

I had contacted comcast about the cap, and I was told 50mb users are not affected by it...but we'll see how long that lasts I guess....I have been pushing 500gigs or so a month (sharing a few TV show torrents, this includes up AND down, which is what comcast calculates as your cap).

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    All the kid hosts will be jumping with joy.

\o//o/
    lol ..I heard that comcast business plan gets rid of the 250 GB cap though...

I heard that the 50/10 tier actually did have a cap. Go figure :/

BUt yeah, COmcast can't do much more than 50/10 on their DOCSIS 3...they're bonding three channels down and 1 up. If they were to offer more they'd overload the network. DOCSIS 3 will alleviate congestion in some instances, but they still have to be careful since we're talking about a shared system.

For the record, 50/10 is $150ish and 22/5 is $75 or so, standalone. TV brings down the price by $10/month.

Oh, and I'm on Comcast. No D3 yet here...

Also, business plans have no cap.

I recently got the Docsis 3.0 upgrade and went with the 50/10 service. They told me that the 250GB cap is for all tiers so to watch my usage.

Service is okay and routing is spotty at best. AT&T here in Chicago is better for gaming, but I don't do much gaming these days. The upload is nice when I have to transfer a bunch of files to my servers.

The speed is spot on and when I'm downloading several files at once I typically see about 51Mbit (according to NetPerSec).

They've got a new speed test site for those with the higher tiers: http://speedtest.comcast.net/

My buddies is Dallas all have FIOS which by all accounts seems much much better...and no caps on usage.

Comcast et al traffic shape and give preference to http traffic. So if you expect to actually do something with that bandwidth, be prepared to be disappointed.

Hi, i live in Cutler Bay Florida i recently upgraded to the up to 50mbit package from the 8 to 12mbit package. But before i did i called 3 times to confirm on a cap of any sort from 3 separate representatives i got 3 of the same answers all said No but one rep knew or just wanted to tell me why, He said there are not enough people on the tier to implement a cap?????. Soooo i was fast to upgrade i already had a docsis3.0 modem so all i needed was just to turn on and off my modem the rep said EASY RIGHT? BOOM my speeds were cut to 6mbits!!! down and 15mbits up!!! wtf wtf wtf i demanded to make sure i had the right modem configuration file its all my fault more than 10 reps told me but i just had 30mbits?? on a 8 to 12 mbits package i told them. Yes they send a tech now 2 days later great he comes ontime. Oh great this tech is changes metal boxes on my pole he must be fixing it right? No! he did all that crap just to tell me an engineer has to come here and set my correct speeds.... Nice the engineer comes 2 days later does the same crap changes metal boxes. He leaves without telling me nothing my speeds are the same 6mbits down 15mbits up peak hours 4mbits down 8mbits up. Then the day before a supervisor was going to come out I ran a speed test and started getting what i was supose to get and more my speed tests maxed at 62mbits sometimes 77mbits and my upload always stayed at 10mbits ): the most i got when downloading was 7MB/sec it would stay at 7MB/sec for around 20 seconds then go down to 4MB/sec then right back to 7MB/sec constantly all in all comcast's speeds are great for my area but when comcast is bad its insanely bad.

ps: when an alternative 50mbit service hits cutler bay florida im switching just due to the customer support

ps: Id rather host on an 50mbit connection on an gigabit setup in my home than in a datacenter on a 10mbit port on a 100mbit link for the same price thats just me (=

I have Comcast Business 50/10 ($200/mo?). There is no cap that I am aware of. We do WAY more than 250GB a month and never had a problem. I hear talks of 100mbit service coming soon in Bay Area, CA.

I have two Comcast pipes and they sent me notice to upgrade for free. I have not got to it yet. Will also have two Fios pipes. Will end up with 200+ and will add in one satilite at little later this year. All this will still cost less than a car payment, which I will have paid off this year!!
    ABSF
    Arrogant Bastard Server Farm
    Built from scratch Data Center serving
    100 year-old Metaphysical Library

Quote Originally Posted by e-Sensibility View Post
    Comcast et al traffic shape and give preference to http traffic. So if you expect to actually do something with that bandwidth, be prepared to be disappointed.
    This is not correct - throttling is protocol-agnostic:

http://help.comcast.net/content/faq/...ork-Management

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    I seriously doubt comcast will be able to give 50mbps+ to every user, and even then I doubt it will sustain (e.g. "speedboost").
    It actually does sustain those rates. The 50 Mbit tier does not have Powerboost enabled.

And every ISP is oversold - VZ can't give every FIOS user 50 Mbit down either.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator B View Post
    This is not correct - throttling is protocol-agnostic:

http://help.comcast.net/content/faq/...ork-Management
    Maybe you've been under a rock, but the rest of us are aware of this fiasco http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/200...mcast-disclos/ . . . to me that's much more telling than their sales documents.
    Ask me about CloudCentrum (coming soon) -- The complete, turn-key cloud software solution

It seems that it is you who is out of date, unfortunately. The link you point to is two years old, and refers to an older system not currently in use. More information is available here, among other places:

http://technologyexpert.blogspot.com...hrottling.html

The business plans are not capped.
    Charles @ Nexeon Technologies - Have a question? PM or email me directly! - c[@]nexeon.com
    InstantDedis.com - Instantly delivered dedicated servers located in Chicago, New York, and more

They just won a court case affirming their right to throttle specific protocols, and denying the FCC the right to regulate them without additional legislation -- I just posted the first link that came up on google.

Here's one from yesterday, though http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...040600742.html -- recent enough?
    Ask me about CloudCentrum (coming soon) -- The complete, turn-key cloud software solution

I am sure you understand the difference between what they legally can do and what they actually are doing, yes? The court ruled that the FCC had no authority to interfere with any throttling plan Comcast chooses to deploy. At the moment, the throttling plan Comcast has deployed is protocol-agnostic. Your link to the article in the Post contains nothing to refute that claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator B View Post
    I am sure you understand the difference between what they legally can do and what they actually are doing, yes? The court ruled that the FCC had no authority to interfere with any throttling plan Comcast chooses to deploy. At the moment, the throttling plan Comcast has deployed is protocol-agnostic. Your link to the article in the Post contains nothing to refute that claim.
    They've lied in the past about their traffic shaping policies. That's documented fact (read the first article I sent). They've now won an appeal that affirms their legal right to target certain protocols. So, I'm confused as to why you think that they wouldn't be throttling certain protocols.

So, I'm confused as to why you think that they wouldn't be throttling certain protocols.
    I'm confused as to why you believe that the current plan is not protocol-agnostic, seeing as how that belief appears to be based on no current evidence at all. Do you have any evidence that they are currently throttling based on protocol? Any links to an examination, test, study, survey of their current practices by anyone at all?

Considering that the previous throttling plan became public based essentially on an investigation by a single user at DSL Reports, surely someone out there would have noticed if there's still a problem, right?

You seem to be a fanboy who is beyond the reach of reason -- The comcast kool-aid obviously has you sincerely believing that a megacorp teleco would do the right thing out of the goodness of its collective corporate heart. Bless your soul.

This is why we do not want 'monopolies'.

Pick and chose and keep it more open, hence hopefuly honest.

We will keep careful track of things...

...but at least we now have some pipes to keep track of.
    ABSF

You seem to be a fanboy who is beyond the reach of reason -- The comcast kool-aid obviously has you sincerely believing that a megacorp teleco would do the right thing out of the goodness of its collective corporate heart. Bless your soul.
    This is not about being a 'fanboy'?

There is no 'trust' in the picture, just contracts and monitoring.
    ABSF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast