Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Is there an ETA on when everything is going to be restored? Still waiting .

- Daniel
      0 Not allowed!

We had three, protected data back-up units with one offsite behind a firewall and a fourth physical data back-up layer. We evaluated our disaster recovery plan as recent as late-2008, and carefully reviewed how to recover from a disaster situation.
    You mention offsite and a 'fourth physical data back-up layer', but why not something offline?
    Perl
    Java
    SQL
      0 Not allowed!

I'm sure they will seriously consider this from now on.

At my work, we have quadruple backups running every 24 hours, every week, and ever month. Plus we run weekly backups that get sent to our Burning Server, that automatically saves the backups to Two Sided DVD's. So there is four backups (plus the backup on the server itself) and a physical DVD copy.

If your running a million dollar operation, you need to treat your data like it is your company... because it is

Quote Originally Posted by OverlordQ View Post
    You mention offsite and a 'fourth physical data back-up layer', but why not something offline?
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)
      0 Not allowed!

database is hosed royally.. its like someone hit 'shuffle' on the post list. HA.
      0 Not allowed!

^ Yep, I'll be back in 5 days to see the progress
    Check out my new Chrome Extension - Server Admin Tool
    frustratedtech.com - Helpful Server Tech Advice
      0 Not allowed!

SoftWareRevue,

I very much appreciate the update concerning the status of WHT in your recent newsletter.

I don't know if it is glitch or not. But now I am receiving a duplicate newsletter sent to the same email address.

Long live WHT!

CP

0 Not allowed!

Sorry to know that and thank you WHT for your efforts. This could happen to ant network.
      0 Not allowed!

I hope this will get resolved soon but until then we should all treat WHT as normal and continue to post.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by PinkFloydWS View Post
    I'm sure they will seriously consider this from now on.

At my work, we have quadruple backups running every 24 hours, every week, and ever month. Plus we run weekly backups that get sent to our Burning Server, that automatically saves the backups to Two Sided DVD's. So there is four backups (plus the backup on the server itself) and a physical DVD copy.

If your running a million dollar operation, you need to treat your data like it is your company... because it is

hmmm as you see they have physical backups...

Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue View Post
    What do we know about the damage done?
    Have we been able to restore more recent back-ups?

The offsite backup, the onsite backup and the operational data were destroyed by the attacker, so we’ve resorted to a physical back-up of last resort. Unfortunately, we are experiencing difficulty restoring from our most recent physical backup. At this point, October is the most recent backup that we were able to restore. We continue to work to extract data from a more recent set of DVDs.

Sorry to all who's trying to help in the database restoration, but I don't think anyone can do that, because no one knows the system enough... I think the only thing we can do is cluing wht to the attacker...
    Last edited by Codebird; 03-26-2009 at 02:53 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Terribly sorry to hear about the attack on WHT's database, I hope you can bring the attacker to justice.

I need a signature back!! How many posts do i need until i can make one?
    Last edited by Stevie21; 03-26-2009 at 03:12 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    SoftWareRevue,

I don't know if it is glitch or not. But now I am receiving a duplicate newsletter sent to the same email address.

Long live WHT!

CP
    I also received two emails but they have much bigger fish to fry right now.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com
      0 Not allowed!

I have issues with the new posts not appearing at that page.
    Anyone else?
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks to WHT and all the staff and community guides who are working very hard to restore WHT. They've restored my premium member status. Thank you .

Best of luck in restoring everything else as much as you can. These things come unexpectedly and sometimes you can only do so much in response to such things. Best wishes!
      0 Not allowed!

I have only been a member on this site for a short time. I think I signed up some time around October as I only seem to have 18 posts. I know I did get up close to 100.

Seems sad to have lost all my posts and my recent thread on uk based reseller hosting options.

I hope that WHT and iNet can fix this site and we can get back up and going. I also know this will take some time.

It is interesting how phpbb.com also got hacked not that long ago either. Why are the hackers seeming to target lots of good community sites at the moment.

It definitely goes to show you need to accomodate for all possible solutions with backups! Even those you haven't thought of. Which is very difficult of course!

I hope that this will allow the WHT community as a whole to learn from it and all to be more security minded.

I think a security section would be appropriate for the site where users can post up security issues and get help with them so that anyone else in the same situation can learn from it.

I look forward to hopefully getting all posts back. It is a shame! I know other users have lost a lot more than me

Anyhow enough of this.

I have been thinking about a premium membership for sometime now. I think I will join in the coming weeks to support the community!

Now lets get WHT back on its feet!
    I.T. Construct - http://itconstruct.com.au
    Webmaster/Webhosting/Design Services - Shared and Reseller Hosting
    Please contact me for a customised quote

Email: admin@itconstruct.com.au
      0 Not allowed!

much bigger fish to fry right now.
    Them fish never leave an Ed's mind.

From the rules:

Signatures:
    Are a benefit extended to WHT members who have made 10 helpful posts and completed 7 days of registration.
      0 Not allowed!

Very sad to hear about this and looking forward to WHT bouncing back from the damage done! I am certain we will all band together and unleash the posting
      0 Not allowed!

Ten helpful posts and seven days
      0 Not allowed!

I hate hackers, and how many time i must wait to have the acount recovered?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by mistervb View Post
    I hate hackers, and how many time i must wait to have the acount recovered?
    I don't think you can receive your account back if you made it after October 2008.
      0 Not allowed!

I am very angry, i want to use this prision module with the hacker:

Call FBI
    PUSH door //We kick his door
    JMP house //We enter to his hause
    MOV him //We move him to...
    JMP pricion //We ship him to the pricion
    INT //We put him into the pricion
    // End of prision module
    // Writen in ASM by m$.deb
      0 Not allowed!

Is there an ETA on when everything will be restored? It shouldnt take this long no matter how big the DB is.

- Daniel
      0 Not allowed!

Now I can't view any other threads

Clever -_-
    I write content. Particularly tech and hosting content.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TmzHosting View Post
    Is there an ETA on when everything will be restored? It shouldnt take this long no matter how big the DB is.

- Daniel
    Depends whether they can get a recent backup.
      0 Not allowed!

security

Hello,

I wish WHT good luck on getting the staff restored.

It is really a loss of knowledge for all the world.

Maybe you can start constructing a knowledge base of the main information from topics with a different structure.

There are some knowledges that if they are better structured and easier to access will be even more usefull.

If you think that was the unhappy comments that make someone act maybe set a different site just for comments.
    That way who wants to put it down due to it will not take everything down.

It is a chance to think over the structure on how to develop stronger and with a better preparation for the future.

Thank you,

Paulo Santos
      0 Not allowed!

Well, I don't appreciate finding out 3 or 4 days later that our email and passwords has be comprimised.

Very unprofessional.

I have been hacked only once in 12 years. Maybe it is because all the patches that are released for the scripts I use are always installed withinh 2 or 3 days.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast