Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Web Master View Post
    . . . p.s....they couldn't have been that good...all my infractions are still there.
    They have a whole other server for your infractions, and luckily that server wasn't touched.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by sash View Post
    Also a good point, I was thinking about that too. Which companies have received last months the bulk of negative reviews? There were not that much of them. I bet for some of them getting rid of all the negative info at once was worth taking risk and paying a hacker. How else can one explain destroying of the backups? I guess, you don't have to destroy them if you're trying to steal the cc info or any other sensitive data.

sash
    yes that's a strong possibility.

a credit card/personal info grabbing attacker prefers to leave little trace behind. so that noone will change their info. go in, go out.

first deleted was backups. that means someone are trying to remove info from this database.
      0 Not allowed!

I am not sure if the companies that got the bad reviews can afford a hacker when
    their pricing scheme starts from $5 per month, unless it's a big provider.

Quote Originally Posted by unity100 View Post
    yes that's a strong possibility.

a credit card/personal info grabbing attacker prefers to leave little trace behind. so that noone will change their info. go in, go out.

first deleted was backups. that means someone are trying to remove info from this database.
      0 Not allowed!

Can somebody *please* correct my user title asap? I haven't had a response from the help desk yet.
    Exoware.net
    Professional EU/UK Web Hosting Solutions
    Linux Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting and Dedicated Server Hosting
    Excellent, personal support round the clock.
      0 Not allowed!

Be patient. They are very busy with such requests, they will get to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Exoware View Post
    Can somebody *please* correct my user title asap? I haven't had a response from the help desk yet.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Arm View Post
    I am not sure if the companies that got the bad reviews can afford a hacker when their pricing scheme starts from $5 per month, unless it's a big provider.
    There were a few big ones amongst them. Anyway, what's worse in these times: massive chunk of negative information available all over the net, possibly costing such a company quite a few customers, or one-time payment to destroy this information?

sash
    kept alive by vertaalbureau
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by sash View Post
    There were a few big ones amongst them. Anyway, what's worse in these times: massive chunk of negative information available all over the net, possibly costing such a company quite a few customers, or one-time payment to destroy this information?

sash
    Possibly.

Or maybe it was a talented hacker who just wanted to cause some chaos, and couldn't on other sites he tried so tried here? (Or he 'scanned' for vulnerabilities and picked accordingly, etc?)
      0 Not allowed!

I lost 15 posts, i am to angry, i hate hackers.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by mistervb View Post
    I lost 15 posts, i am to angry, i hate hackers.
    And I lost over a thousand posts... nothing we can do about it, just move on.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Dave View Post
    Amen.

I learned how much I depend on and ENJOY this Forum and I am just the most humble beginner hoster. Passion, hobby, hopefully someday a business

I will be upgrading to Premium soon. A. To learn as much as possible. B. To show my support.
    same here...I learn alot with this forum!!
    I will soon hopefully be premium also!
      0 Not allowed!

well don't know if somebody said that before...

But what is weird is the threads count, ie. Programming Discussion there are 17,579 when you are on the main page whereas when u enter the forum you can see 9-10 threads or whatever... Where is the 17579 coming from?!?!
    Last edited by Codebird; 03-25-2009 at 03:17 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Codebird View Post
    well don't know if somebody said that before...

But what is weird is the threads count, ie. Programming Discussion there are 17,579 when you are on the main page whereas when u enter the forum you can see 9-10 posts or whatever... Where is the 17579 coming from?!?!
    The figure 17,579 is stored in a part of the database that wasn't removed.

Hence the actual *posts* you can see are only 9-10, however there used to be 17,579 (but then the actual content got deleted and so haven't shown up).
      0 Not allowed!

Is posible to recover the DB with a file recovery?
      0 Not allowed!

I used to investigate federal felony's, so if I can be of any help let me know

I lost my whole account, started about a week after this database.

I had a ticket in to change my name for like 2 months, so I just registered with the name I wanted I used to be lonestar86 lol.

I can think of a recent angry host about having a negative review. Sameerhosting? Remember the DDOS attacks?
      0 Not allowed!

I have ddos attacks in my site, i hate ddos attacks and hackers.
      0 Not allowed!

This is a shame. I really hope the data can be recovered.

Tons of very useful information for a huge hungry community is like burning down a library. A real treasure.

I hope there would be more we can do, but moral support.

Shine on WHT !
      0 Not allowed!

I haven't been on the forum in a few days, so I was a bit lost when I tried to login. I recently changed my username to AllFloydian after October, so was a bit confused on why I couldn't login.

It truly sucks what happened, and i'm sure WHT will do the best it can to stabilize all this mess. I have a ton of confidence in Dennis and the gang, and i'm sure they'll do the best they possibly can.

It's still a very good community, with a lot of free resources... what else can you ask for?
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)
      0 Not allowed!

http://my56chevy.liquinoxhosting.com/

That was the site which had a lot of WHT posts on.

This was the thread asking for it to be taken down:

http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=uk
    Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Limited
    VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
    vBulletin / XenForo Hosting and Services
    Server / Website Consultation
      0 Not allowed!

Google has been saved all the data, is posible to recover it from google cache?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by mistervb View Post
    Google has been saved all the data, is posible to recover it from google cache?
    I was thinking that, but, then, it would be a very long and painful process. Since vB's tabling methods aren't the best that I've seen.
      0 Not allowed!

WHT admins can do a bot to do this job, but it isn't easy.
    Last edited by mistervb; 03-25-2009 at 04:28 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Hmmm, pondering... I suppose it could be plausible.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by HostLonestar-Randy View Post
    I used to investigate federal felony's, so if I can be of any help let me know

I lost my whole account, started about a week after this database.

I had a ticket in to change my name for like 2 months, so I just registered with the name I wanted I used to be lonestar86 lol.
    If you haven't done so already, we would greatly appreciate you opening a Helpdesk ticket in the Missing WHT Account department so in the event we are able to restore the back ups, we can merge your accounts properly. Thanks!
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks, i hope that my posts will be recovered.
      0 Not allowed!

Its too bad the backup service wasn't running something like netapp file-servers which have read-only snapshots. That will definitely prevent anyone from completely deleting the backup files.

I have been semi-worried about something like this happening on my own server which is why I backup all the important data to my home machine everyday. Luckily i don't have more than a gigabyte or two to backup and a decently fast internet connection so its easily possible.

To be on the safe side I have my computer initiate the backup process via ssh (using keys) and my server has no way to access my comp and thus nobody could ever set me back more than a day.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast