Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789
    "how can you kill he who has no life?" - South Park
    No Overselling Guarantee | Now Includes a Free Domain
    █ Shared Hosting • Reseller Hosting • VPS Hosting
    BLD Hosting - Web Hosting | Web Hosting Blog
      0 Not allowed!

Of course he must have no life at all. This doesn't take an hour, it must have taken him a bit of time.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew_t View Post
    Out of curiosity - are there any law enforcement agencies involved in the tracing, arrest and prosecution of the hacker?

Eg: FBI, CIA, Local Police, Etc

Another thing that sucks, is that i had around 30 or so posts and had all the permissions - but i guess i'll have to start again.
    lol the CIA isn't a Law Enforcement Agency, they are an Intelligence Gathering Agency with no legal jurisdiction ofer the territories of the US.

I would hope they have gotten LE involved. But, they also could not be quite at that point yet.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    If you read they did say that they made backups but they where erased by the hacker. The last hard backup they had was from 6 months ago.
    Yes, that's why I said physical backups, as in DVD copies. Hackers can't erase that.
    IntelliSerp - The most accurate and intelligent keyword rank tracking software.
      0 Not allowed!

The thing is, they had hard backups from sooner than that. However, they were unable to restore them for various reasons.
      0 Not allowed!

I lost my account, hope you catch who did it! Good Luck!
      0 Not allowed!

Keeping backups online is a major mistake of any company. Not testing the physical media for offline backups is another. Lesson learned - reputation tarnished.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by geekie246 View Post
    Keeping backups online is a major mistake of any company.
    It is also important that a company keeps their physical backups in a safe place and they should test their physical backups to make sure that everything is being recorded correctly.
      0 Not allowed!

No system is totally secure, and optical 'hard' backups are a major pain and time investment. Online backups are great but there is always a risk when anything is online. Hopefully this incident will teach the value of backups to the many hosts and users of WHT who think they are secure and don't make proper backups.

*No* networked computer today is %100 safe. We don't know what measures WHT took but its fair to say they were much harder to hack than most of the hosts who post here!

Good luck WHT!
    VPSVille.com
    Toronto, London, Dallas, Los Angeles
    Quality VPS hosting on Premium bandwidth
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by vpsville View Post
    No system is totally secure, and optical 'hard' backups are a major pain and time investment. Online backups are great but there is always a risk when anything is online. Hopefully this incident will teach the value of backups to the many hosts and users of WHT who think they are secure and don't make proper backups.

*No* networked computer today is %100 safe. We don't know what measures WHT took but its fair to say they were much harder to hack than most of the hosts who post here!

Good luck WHT!
    Even huge websites such as Google, Yahoo, MySpace, YouTube, etc. could be hacked if enough people got together and worked to do it.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by StartYourServer View Post
    Even huge websites such as Google, Yahoo, MySpace, YouTube, etc. could be hacked if enough people got together and worked to do it.
    Nothing is totally secure, everything can be hacked in some form.

However a large site could be hacked by one person, hence it's not exactly like having more people increases your chances of a successful hack.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tristanperry View Post
    Nothing is totally secure, everything can be hacked in some form.

However a large site could be hacked by one person, hence it's not exactly like having more people increases your chances of a successful hack.
    The fewer people involved lessens the chances of someone opening their mouth and you ending up in jail
      0 Not allowed!

I'm going to close this thread. If you have questions, feel free to ask. If you have answers, I'd encourage you to start a thread in one of our many forums.

In fact, I'd like to encourage anyone reading to help us get back to the normal day-to-day activities around here by exploring the forums, answering questions, asking questions, talking about what's gone on in your corner of the world and helping us rebuild the great WHT content (that we're still working several avenues to restore).

Thanks for everyone's patience and support.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789