Thread: backup

backup

Hi,

I have a desktop PC that I would like to backup a certain folder (and all it's subfolders) to a server on the LAN. I need to do this perhaps every 5/10 minutes in which case I need it to be very efficient. The files at present are about 15mb but I need to only overwrite files that have been changes (incremental?)

I am using Windows 2000 Server for the server and Windows XP for the desktop.

My ideal plan would be to develop a batch file in DOS that will just copy the files if they have changed. I haven't played with DOS much - anyone know if this is possible? I think DOS would be best since it would take up less resources imo.

Any other suggestions for backup?

Thanks

Cheers

Use Compare command of DOS COMP to compare the files so that you know if they are changed. If this returns true, then copy the file on your server. You can write a DOS Batch file for this.

Any chance you could elaborate a bit on this? Perhaps do you know of any pre-written routines in DOS for this sort of programme

BackUp or die - blame no else.

eh?

Thanks a lot dedicated, that worked a treat.

I have setup a batch file now. The only thing is it's kinda annoying when it pops up in the middle of my screen every five minutes. Do you know any way to make it run minimised or hidden or something?

Cheers

The script there uses xcopy command. This is good command to copy files and you can specify various parameters too