fly by the night and new reliable hosting

Is there any clues as to which new hosting companies are fly by the night companies and good reliable hosting companies?? So many times I've almost bought hosting from someone only to later learn that the companies reputation had gone way down hill (i.e. HOSTPACKET).

Re: fly by the night and new reliable hosting

Originally posted by Csoves
    Is there any clues as to which new hosting companies are fly by the night companies and good reliable hosting companies?? So many times I've almost bought hosting from someone only to later learn that the companies reputation had gone way down hill (i.e. HOSTPACKET).
    if they offer everything for a nickel then you should run....other than that....just do some research and ask around

Well these are some of the risks everyone faces when trying out a new hosting company. Anything can go wrong with a host whther new or the mighty experienced one but one may take his/her chances with a established host.

Companies offering too good be true prices, get 1 take a 1000 FREE stuff, bad design, no support are some of the features of a fly by night company.

I suggest you find a reputed company which has atleast 1 year of experience in the business but if you wanna try out the new one in any case...look for the one that really does what it states on its web page...

To be sure sign up with one of the reputable hosts. Dixisys, futurequest, affordablehost etc.

They may charge a little more then Joe with his $ 20.- per year pckg but they've been around for a while. Most likely because they don't offer "Joes'" prices

Only time will tell if the new hosts will be around in a year from now.

Csoves,

Ask a lot of questions. What you want is a business plan that works within its means. Take Cyberwings for example, with an employee base of only 7 they supposedly had their own Datacentre? Not likely.

Don't be afraid to put companies to the test. Everyone wants your money, those who deserve it go the extra mile

Sincerely,

-Matt

Hint: Paying over $10 per month via MerchantAccount is typically be better than paying $3 to $5 per month via PayPal. You get what you pay for (Oh So True). Decent Host generally have a breakeven of $10 (with a very modest profit built in). You go with a lowballer, you are asking for it! Check the threads (search words such as: SCAM, CHARGEBACK, LAWSUIT, FAILED, LIED, CHEATED, GONE, etc) and you will see. If the same names pop up, cross it off your list.
    intellec
    ....you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get....

In addition to what has already been said....

A host's website can say a lot about them as well. To clarify -- the content on the web site.

Does it appear that they really took time and care putting together FAQs, terms, and privacy policies etc? Do they appear stolen or specific to the host? Is it informative and hopefully accurate?

The more 'together' they have it the better the odds are that they are thinking for the long term.

A question you may include in your pre-sales inquiry with a new host might look something like this:

"Do you have goals to upgrade and expand from your current situation? If so, what steps are being taken to accomplish these goals? "
    FutureQuest.net
    Quality Services & Professional Support Since 1998
    Click Here To Visit the Community

Originally posted by Deb
    In addition to what has already been said....

A host's website can say a lot about them as well. To clarify -- the content on the web site.

Does it appear that they really took time and care putting together FAQs, terms, and privacy policies etc? Do they appear stolen or specific to the host? Is it informative and hopefully accurate?

The more 'together' they have it the better the odds are that they are thinking for the long term.

A question you may include in your pre-sales inquiry with a new host might look something like this:

"Do you have goals to upgrade and expand from your current situation? If so, what steps are being taken to accomplish these goals? "
    that sure is great advice deb!

Originally posted by bruce1234at

that sure is great advice deb!
    yes that was...
    <start plug>
    have you voted for MOTM yet??? the link is in our sigs
    <end plug>

Is there any clues as to which new hosting companies are fly by the night companies and good reliable hosting companies?? . . . . . .
    None that I can think of. Just ask questions and pay attention to how they answer.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Here is a perfectly good example of what to stay away from:

http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread...threadid=73065
    Devon Dunham (Owner, Sharpnet/DDoS Host)
    Advanced DDoS Mitigation and Server Management Solutions

Protecting your online infrastructure.

Est. 1998.

"If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is"
    RUN!

this is an excellent thread about what questions to ask a webhosting company.

thread

id say if ur host can provide solid answers to most of these questions, ur in good shape.

and of course, the golden rule is... you get what you pay for!

I have been hosting with pugmarks.net for 3 years. They have been around for over 6 years so I guess that it makes them kind of stable. So far I have been getting good performance but these guys are difficult when it comes to bulk-mailing (I mean they chase you like hell for anything resembling a spam)

As long as theirs a moneyback guarantee you're safe

Ask how many servers they have etc.