server4me - aka aplus.net

Just cancelled my old dedicated server from server4me. I did a search and didn't come up with any results, so I thought I'd leave a little note about them.

When I bought it, they're special was $79/month for a dedicated 128kbps machine - it's now $119. My traffic requirements were small at the time, and this looked like a good deal. I added 8 ips, and it all came to about $90 month. I went with the dedicated circuit because I new my bandwidth needs (more for development than hosting production sites), and didn't want a massive bill showing up should somehting happen. Glad I did - someone managed to get in, and uploaded a bunch of mpg movie files (16GB worth), and released my ip a login and password to the public. Because the it wasn't a burstable connection, I had no overage charges! Amy idea how much data can go across a 100mbps connection in 24 hours? Glad I didn't have to pay that bill. Never heard a word from them about it either. Once I changes all the passwords, and shut down telnet (used ssh only), it never happened again. BTW, it came from a college student, and did let the university's Is department know. That may have had something to do with the lack of a repeat attempt.

I got rates faster than the 128kbps I paid for would support too. I saw transfers go at 30-40KB/sec. But I didn't fight it.

The machine worked flawlessly. I had 1 problem during the nearly 2 years I was there. Logged in did a reboot, and it was back up a minute or 2 later. It had been up for 4 or 5 months if I remember right so I didn't go searching deeper to see what happened. That type of uptime for a development machine isn't bad.

The only issue I've had is I sent my cancellation request a few days ago. I never heard back. I called yesterday and spoke with them. The account is marked for termination, but it's still up and running right now. I don't care really - provided they don't try to bill me for it. I would've liked to hear back from them saying they at least got my message...

As for support, I only had to use them maybe a couple of times. They were quick about it - reboots were needed. But then I don't need much hand holding. So I can't say how'd they do with a newbie. But if you're capable of handling your own server, take a look, they worked for me. I went to a reseller package with Voxtreme - handles everything I need and almost 1/4 the price.

The thing that sold me. RAM upgrade. You paid a fair price at setup, but the monthly was only $5!

Monthly for ram, AFTER paying a fair amount of setup.

What was the setup fee for that ram?
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

Memory upgrade to 128MB SU: $29 mo: $5
    Memory upgrade to 256MB SU: $49 mo: $5
    Memory upgrade to 512MB SU: $109 mo: $5
    Memory upgrade to 1GB SU: $219 mo: $5
    Memory upgrade to 2GB SU: $439 mo: $5

Compared to some of the others out there. This is pretty fair.

Likewise ofr CPU:
    PIII 1GHz SU: $169 mo:$5
    P4 2.0GHz SU $219 mo:$5

And hard drive:
    80GB IDE Drive SU: $119 mo: $5
    36GB 10K RPM U160 SCSI SU: $299 mo: $5

NT/2000 SU: $889/$999 mo:$10
    SQL 2K SU $1499 mo: $15
    PCaw SU: $99 $5/mo

If you're going to stick around you'd do better with a higher setup, and lower monthly. The way it should work - IMHO. Or better would be one-time and no additional monthly.

What bugs me are things like these (from a WHT Ded offer post):
    > Processor to a P3 1.2 Ghz = $20.00 per month
    > Extra RAM = Upgrade to 1GB $25.00 per month
    > Extra 60GB IDE Drive = $25.00 per month

In 5 months you've paid for the HD, after that's it's just more profit. Same with the RAM - 11 months then profit. And the P3/1.2 - server4me doesn't apparently offer a 1.2 stop at 1.0, which is paid at 11+ months. Long run - since I don't change hosts every few weeks - I came out ahead. And that's with a WHT post, when I got that server, I didn't know about WHT. Many offers were MUCH worse than that.
    Last edited by Lagniappe-labgeek; 09-07-2002 at 04:30 PM.
    Lagniappe Internet L.L.C. - Wholesale Reseller and VPS Hosting.
    Lagniappe (lan-yap) - An extra or unexpected gift or benefit.
    HostEntrepreneur - Hosting news, reviews, tips, tricks, help and the occassional rant

Hrmm, the monthly doesn't sound that hot when you are buying the hardware for them in the first place with the setup fee.

It would only slightly sweeten the pot there IF the hardware was owned by me when paying the setup fee.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

Then colo

Check sandiego.bbb.org and it will open your eyes about aplus.net even if you had a good experience.

BTW, hello to all. I am back from my holidays.

I got rates faster than the 128kbps I paid for would support too. I saw transfers go at 30-40KB/sec. But I didn't fight it.
    That's still good traffic... 128Kbps is only 16KB/s

Yes, they are sucks. I signed up private virtual server twice. FIrst time, they just began to offer private server for $79/month. Domain name never transfer to their DNS, so I worked by IP address. Then support was very classic. Seems like they outsourcing their support. Basically support told me F*(K off, don;t bother me in email. So, I forwarded email to CEO and Sales. They said sorry, but sorry my Ass. So I requested money back, by the way it took 10 days to just activate the account. Excuse was system and script is new so they have hard time to configure it. Why they offer to the customers first place? Bad business practice. After while, I decided to try them again with same plan. Same story. Account did not activate correctly. My account should have 1GB, I copied 300MG it maxed out. And called Support, they said delete some of my files. WHat the F*(K. Where is my 1GB? they could not solve this issues. SO another refund. NEVER EVER NEAR BY APLUS.NET period.